Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety

We all hate our favorite planes getting damaged but, our favorite pilots getting damaged is far worse. My question is this; with all the safety measures that are taken in all other forms of motorsports, how come it seems race planes go largely unchanged? Dragboat racing almost died untill they came out with the safety capsule. Why wouldn't something like this be practical in air racing? I figure the wealth of knowledge from the members of this site should shoot me down. It just seems to me that the safety of the pilot in an unavoidable situation could be largely improved upon. Am I crazy?

Nick
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Re: Safety

I suppose it's too hard (read: too expensive for one race per year) to integrate a safety capsule, ballistic recovery system, ejection seat, or other aftermarket safety items into a WWII fighter traveling at 500mph. They could wear HANS devices but this could create other problems by severely limiting the pilots' ability to rotate their heads and look around during the race. Perhaps there's some hope for those new seatbelt-mounted aviation air bags...
    _________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Deimert had a cool air bag device in his Defender that might be worth looking at.

Comment

The respective race environments and media are quite different, so the safety provisions are different, too. Cars vs. walls; boats vs. water; planes vs. engine/airframe failures.

Thankfully, airframe failures are quite rare, though certainly tragic when they happen. Nonetheless, a safety capsule would do little for the pilot in such a scenario. Engine failures on the other hand have proven recovery strategies: 1) emergency landings; and 2) hitting the silk. #1 has worked countless times, while #2 is very rare. (Has anyone ever bailed out at Reno -- from any racer?) The only recent racing instance I can think of is Kevin Eldridge getting out of the burning Super Corsair at Phoenix. (Read the incredible story here: www.warbirdaeropress.com/articles/bail_out.html)

I didn't forget wake turbulence, but this comes down to pilot skill, as was demonstrated by Jeff Lo's startling video.
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Several years ago, Jim Vliet of the Formula V class put together a very thorough presentation to develop a 'safety cockpit' similar to what the open wheel cars have these days. It was quite impressive, as it involved essentially building the Formula V's around this composite tub with a built-up roll-over structure. Didn't weigh all that much, though I don't think it ever went anywhere. Been close to 10 years since I've seen or heard anything of it. It was designed to survive a low-level impact with the ground at racing speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
            though I don't think it ever went anywhere.
            The Formula V's never went anywhere

Comment

I expect one of the reasons that nothing has been developed is that pilot safety (knock on wood) has not been a large enough issue to affect the participation in the sport. If you look at most of the accidents that have happened that resulted in fatalities it is still unlikely that there could have been something done. For example, MAII probably happened so fast there wouldn't have been time for a pilot reaction. Rick Brickert (sp?) chose not to bail from the Pond when he probably could have. Same with many others. In the case of at least one F1 crash a heart attack while flying was suspected as being the cause of a crash while landing.

Sadly when you looked at the Formula Vee class they could have used a safety tub. The crazy and unsafe way they viewed correct racing procedures ultimately led to the series of crashes that killed the class. I remember seeing in interview with one of the FV pilots on a cable show where he was bragging about how he and one of the other racers knew each other so well that they could engage in passing techniques like passing from underneath and inside because they raced so much (they regularly did stuff while racing that would get you banned in any Reno class). I believe he and that other pilot were ultimately involved in a mid air and at least one fatality resulted.

Michele

Comment

There have been a few unique survivals. The Amsoil racer went in in 1983 at a relatively fast speed, all that was left was the cockpit section and the pilot. The RB-51 supposedly had some strengthening done to the floor section to prtect in a belly landing, and the cockpit stayed largely intact allowing a badly injured pilot to survive. I've seen several forced landings over the years, most are more than survivable.
                Flying requires light, fairly strong structures that don't really lend themselves to crash survival. I'm sure there could be some work done in self sacrificing structures (similiar to auto racing and the auto industry) to absorb impact but is it at all practical? Is it even possible in anything but the F-1 and Sport classes?
                In the crashes I've seen, racing or aviation in general, destruction of the machine in a fatal crash has been fairly complete when high speed is involved. I just have never seen a practical way to protect a pilot from those forces. Of course it may be possible, build the aircraft like the black box, as they say, but it wont fly!
                Maybe some work with composites?
                Ejection seats, etc. make no sense to me in this sport, how often has a pilot wanted or needed to get out and a seat would make a difference?
                Unless the general aviation industry finds a need to build a safer product, as the auto industry has had to do, the Air Racing crowd does not have the means to pusue the issue too far.
                the one area I would like to see improvement in the WHOLE aviation community is fire prevention and suppression. Seems to me a large proportion of accidents that are very survivable end in a fatal fire.

Just my ramblings...
                Leo

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  I just have never seen a practical way to protect a pilot from those forces.
                  Leo
                  Packing peanuts!

Being serious now, in two of the composite aircraft I've crewed for, (F1's), the cockpits were designed as 'tubs' with structural reinforcement around the pilot.
                  Composites do dissipate energy well. I saw a Q1 crash, very similar to the Amsoil Racers, in both cases, the "gradual" desinigration allowed both pilots to walk away. One of the features I dislike about a majority of the F1's, is the spar over the legs. When the gear collapses, it seriously compromises the cockpit.
                  Adequate shoulder harness design is lacking in many of the classes, as is fire protection, requirements for helmets, and roll-over structures.
                  In a well planned race, rescue is usually there quickly, anything to buy a little time, would help.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X