Tsunami pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsunami pics

Here are some Tsunami photos from '91 that Hacker wanted me to post. I think I took the ground shots, and Hacker took the flying ones. The funny thing about the flying ones...I have the exact dupicate of them on video on Bradfire '91...since we were standing right next to each other, shooting the exact same thing from the exact same angle.
    Attached Files

Re: Tsunami pics

Thanks for posting. Makes me sad tho.
    _________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

You shot video...how about putting a clip up for to see her again.
      Randy Rheinschild
      www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

What's the story on Tsunami's prop?
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
          What's the story on Tsunami's prop?

Cut down, T-28C blades.

This was the 'aftermath' of the infamous Sky Prop that Bill Motagne (Mach Buster) developed. It was a wide-chord, swept leading edge prop. But it blew to pieces on the test cell. Jack took the idea 'a little bit', and modified a set of the later model 'triangular' T-28 blades.

At Reno '91, they oversped the regular racing prop early in the week, so they ran this experimental 'scimitar blade' one on Friday and Saturday. By Sunday, they had repaired the regular one, and ran it in the final...with astounding results.

Comment

That is cool stuff to know about the props.
            IMO, Skip was the best thing to ever happen to Tsunami's racing career (or any other racer for, ahem, that matter).
            _________
            -Matt

Comment

From what I understand that prop made a nice fan, but didn't make the
              plane go any faster.

Comment

Great Tsunami pics! I think I read somewhere that the Sandberg family was trying to rebuild Tsunami? Any truth to this?

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                  the infamous Sky Prop that Bill Motagne (Mach Buster) developed. It was a wide-chord, swept leading edge prop. But it blew to pieces on the test cell.
                  Ahhhh, the infamous composite prop. Those were the good ole days........

Comment

Originally posted by King
                    Ahhhh, the infamous composite prop. Those were the good ole days........

Oh yeah. Somewhere I have a picture of it on Tsunami while they're doing taxi tests in Minnesota. WICKED! If that thing had worked like Montagne promised....wow...look out!

But I also have a picture of the engine sitting in the test cell. Nothing but composite 'splinters' left coming out of the prop hub, and the walls, ceiling, and floor pock-marked from debris when it exploded at medium rpm.

Good thing THAT didn't happen at altitude on the airplane!

Comment

Good thing THAT didn't happen at altitude on the airplane!
                      You ain't just whislin' Dixie!
                      Bill Garnett
                      InterstellarDust
                      Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Originally posted by KB Adkins
                        Great Tsunami pics! I think I read somewhere that the Sandberg family was trying to rebuild Tsunami? Any truth to this?

Ken
                        Here's a few links.

Michael

Comment

[QUOTE=MRussell]
                          Oh yeah. Somewhere I have a picture of it on Tsunami while they're doing taxi tests in Minnesota. WICKED! If that thing had worked like Montagne promised....wow...look out!

But I also have a picture of the engine sitting in the test cell. Nothing but composite 'splinters' left coming out of the prop hub, and the walls, ceiling, and floor pock-marked from debris when it exploded at medium rpm.
                          Speed- if you find those pics please post'em!!!!
                          _________
                          -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara
                            Thanks Michael,

The first pic in this link..the artist impression. That has slightly swept wings and less boxlike radiator/exhaust part of the fuse.

Are there any preliminary plans of the racer available ?

best regards,

Juke

PS: Just a strange De Javu....I called last week construction engineering friend of mine Risto ( = Chris for finnish ) Sandberg ( Sandberg is a common surname here in Oulu ) to come to check out one project ( regarding a house in the north ) and he was supposed to visit me at 13:00 PM today....he did not show up. This John Sandberg/Tsunami link appeared after I called the other Sandberg.
                            I was supposed to show him some photos of a building site by the sea that I had taken with my digital camera. I was slightly dismayed this morning at work when I realized that I had forgotten my camera with all the photos home...I am glad he also forgot to come by today.
                            Last edited by First time Juke; 11-08-2005, 12:38 PM.
                            http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Tsunami Frisbee

I keep running across my Tsunami Frisbee in the attic.
                              They were handing them out at the pit one year.

T

Comment

Working...
                              X