Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top speeds at Reno - can you compare all the years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top speeds at Reno - can you compare all the years?

I was looking through the results database at the official Reno site and trying to compare the top speeds of the unlimiteds through the years. Wow, the 507 mph for Dago Red in 2003 is truly staggering, especially when you see how many other planes have even broken the 475 mph barrier. It looks like Rare Bear has been the only other racer to do this regularly.

One question - has the course measurement changed at all through the years? I realized I may be comparing apples to oranges if at some point the course was measured either larger or smaller. Thanks for the help!

Ken

Re: Top speeds at Reno - can you compare all the years?

The course itself was changed several years ago, and was made "tighter" for lack of a better term. The way in which the pylons were moved didn't change the overall course length to a huge degree, but it forces the pilots to turn harder, and for a longer duration. Right before 2003 RARA changed the way the course was measured, although no pylons were moved. They claimed it more acurately represented the line the pilots flew, but most think they did it so that someone could break the 500 mph lap barrier. It was not a popular decision for the reason you stated. It is very difficult to compare Dago's 507 to what it might have turned under the old system.

Comment

Dago did post a couple laps at 511 + that year in 2003. It was truly a site to see Skip moving that fast. He flew that airplane like it was on rails. The conditions were perfect that day. I am curious about his power settings during that run.

I was disappointed that Strega was unable to perform this year. I spoke to several of the crew and they are excited about next year at Reno. They are just chomping at the bit. If somebody buys Dago and races her, next year should be great!. Mike Brown's September Fury is also a fast plane. Unofficially, during qualifying a year or so ago, he was close to, if not right at 500 mph! If I am wrong about that, please correct me.

If we are just talking about speed increases over the years, look at the sport class! 366+ in a Lancair! It sure does sound good!

Comment

Thanks for all the info. A few things jumped out at me when looking at the results from past years. Strega's 486 mph in 2002, can't wait to see her flying around the pylons in 2006! Also from 2002, 468 mph for September Fury. That's the fastest speed I've seem for a Sea Fury at Reno. Rick Brickert seemed to get the best out of Dreadnought, 457 mph way back in 1988. Also, have to love the 478 mph for Tsunami and Skip Holm in 1991, makes you wonder what might have been. Interesting to see the 453 mph for Precious Metal in 1988. Can this racer ever get back to those speeds again? Interesting to see Czech Mate flirting with 450 mph in 2004. Will someone please buy this plane and bring her back to Reno next year?

Comment

Since the 'shape' of the course was changed in 1971, it has consistently shrunk in size. Mostly it was moving the location of the pylons on the back side of the course. The last 'big' change was made in '99 or so, and it was a significant change. The course is probably 1.5 miles shorter than it was in '71, so speeds are most certainly effected, because you're in more of a constant rate of turn with less straight-line speeds.

Precious Metal did manage to do that 453 in 1988, but the 'system' wasn't strong enough to take it--it was mostly due to Don's penchant for 140 cubic inches on the throttle. And to be brutally honest, that aircraft, in its current condition, needs a LOT of work to consistently go fast.

Comment

Working...
          X