Biplanes & formula 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biplanes & formula 1

This year I was able to see both classes from a new perspective. I really enjoyed watching both of them. These two classes of airplanes are quite small and they need to be seen and herd to be appreciated. The way the course is layed out at Reno the people in the stands do not get to enjoy these two classes, they are way to far away. No there not 400mph monsters but they are very competitave, colorful and a lot of fun to watch if you can see them.
    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Re: Biplanes & formula 1

Originally posted by Victor Archer
    This year I was able to see both classes from a new perspective. I really enjoyed watching both of them. These two classes of airplanes are quite small and they need to be seen and herd to be appreciated. The way the course is layed out at Reno the people in the stands do not get to enjoy these two classes, they are way to far away. No there not 400mph monsters but they are very competitave, colorful and a lot of fun to watch if you can see them.
    I totally agree. I have always been frustraighted because of how far from the course you are when you are in the pits. Your pictures ave brought that in and one can really see the creativity and variation within the classes. Again, well done.
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
      Victor-
      Big THANKS for the coverage. Both classes have been a labor of love for me, for the last 25+ years. Neither are big-$ operations, so the speed differences come from ingenuity and attention to detail. We welcome the fans interest, and would LOVE to race when there are actually fans in the bleachers, (not at 08:30 like this year), and no, not 400mph airplanes, 300mph (in a straight line), on a FRACTION of the cubic inches.
      Let's hope your beautiful shots, can help generate more interest, (and seriously where were you shooting from, you had to be sitting on top of the pylon)..

Thanks again, Paul

P.S. The shot in your avatar is absolutely SPIRITUAL

Comment

The biplanes and the formula classes are the roots of the sport it is in airplanes of this style that Doolittle and Wittman raced, airplanes built specifically to race on these courses. The warbirds are great but the average guy may have trouble imagining owning a multi-million dollar warbird, a fella can get into a cassut for $10,000 you cant even buy a 150 for that. On top of that the removal to alot of degree of the engine variable makes the aerodynamic portion of the contest much bigger so some of the coolest shaped airplanes are in these classes. While I think the unlimiteds are an easy draw to the sport. I dont think you can get too far into it before these classes catch your eye.

Comment

There was some great racing this year. I know what you mean about being too far out. I tried the 1.4x on the 100-400 (540mm), and they still are small!!

Comment

Originally posted by laminar
            a fella can get into a cassut for $10,000 you cant even buy a 150 for that.
            Laminar-
            Our first aircraft was an abondoned 'project' for HALF that. Some assembly required, But that's what I love about it, gradual improvements as knowledge and skill increase, can lead to a respectable, racer. Yet there's room for creativity like Dave Hoover's unique and beautiful Endeavor.
            Frequently treated like a stepchild, it's great to see the interest.
            Put Mariah or Endevour against the Wildcat, on the (rounder) Unlimited coarse, and it wouldn't be the Warbird in first, Come on Tom, GRUDGE-RACE...
            Anyway, great to get some attention, thanks guy's.

Paul

Comment

At Vegas a couple years ago, the IF1's ran pretty close to the crowd, it was SO impressive, Reno tried it at PRS the following year.

The issue at Reno was that, the deadline was moved out to across to the crowd side of 8 - 26 and from what I'm told, the IF1 assn decided that took away too much of their margin of safety if they had a mayday...

Visually, it would have made it a lot better, I can totally understand the safety issues!

Getting the "little guys" closer to the crowd is essential to success though... doing it safely is going to be the challenge for the organizers and racers.

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
                Frequently treated like a stepchild, it's great to see the interest.
                Put Mariah or Endevour against the Wildcat, on the (rounder) Unlimited coarse, and it wouldn't be the Warbird in first, Come on Tom, GRUDGE-RACE...
                Anyway, great to get some attention, thanks guy's.

Paul
                Ah, But let's see Endevour carry 4 loaded .50cal machine guns like the Wildcat does during the race!!!

Hawkeye

Comment

So, you admit Endevour would be in front...

Comment

Endevour is one georgeous machine. That plane is soo clean. The only thing I could think of when I saw it was how shiny the paint was, somebody put some real time into that finish.
                    My only wonder is how much lift he gives up putting the gear in the middle of the wing like that, maybe somebody knows why he didnt mount the gear to the fuselage to save the precious wing.
                    Last edited by laminar; 10-26-2005, 04:32 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

I'm no aerodynamics expert, but I believe he did that to get the gear out of the prop's wake, making the airflow around the gear more predictable, and therefore, easier to make low-drag fairings and wheel pants. Also, having the gear go straight down means it can be 1.4x shorter than a diagonal one of the same height.

Having the gear on the wing did cause him a fair amount of grief. When he started test-flying, he found the (original) gear was bouncing severely once he got to about 60mph. He tried all kinds of things to stop the bouncing (stiffening, filling the tubes, changing the angles). He said the bouncing was so bad he couldn't see the instruments, and that was all on the ground. He didn't proceed to getting it off the ground until he fixed the problem. The fix entailed a brand-new gear from Robbie Grove.

Take this all with a grain of salt as I am just writing what I remember, and my memory has gotten me in trouble before...

Ray
                      www.Aerophile.org
                      www.IF1AirRacing.com

Comment

Originally posted by laminar
                        Endevour is one georgeous machine. That plane is soo clean. The only thing I could think of when I saw it was how shiny the paint was, somebody put some real time into that finish.
                        Give all the credit to Mike Arnold's beautiful design, and David's, supurb workmanship. I was lucky enough to crew for David this year, and as a hanger neighbor, I've watched the project from drawing, to completion. The Grove gear and a few other items were farmed out, but fit and finish is ALL David.
                        Ray's correct about the gear, some tufting later this year should verify the theory.
                        Of note, that was a TIRED engine, the future for that airplane is very promising

Paul

Comment

The paint on Endevour was sprayed by David in a old commercial building that he rented. The lighting was terrible and the conditions were much less than perfect. He didn't have time to take it to a paint shop. The result's speak for David's passion for quality workmanship. David was even kind enough to let me "practice" sanding on the racer.
                          What a guy!

Hawkeye

Comment

Only problem with the Wilcat grudge match is that only one of the planes has the fuel to cross the finish line!

Comment

when there are actually fans in the bleachers, (not at 08:30 like this year),
                              That's why a lot of us get in line at 6:00 A.M., we don't want to miss a thing.
                              I love the Unlimiteds, the speed, the noise. The T-6's are great, lots of good tight flying.
                              But I've gotten hooked on the F-1 and (since the return of the modified bipes) the Biplanes. The RACING there is better lately.
                              I always liked watching Cody run, and even cheered on Nemesis' runaway wins!
                              Bring back Sorceress, Cobra and the racing bipe class!
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X