Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Question about Dago

Hey Everyone,

I was sitting with some friends of my fathers at this years races. Both of these guys used to work on P-51's in WW-II. They mentioned that they both saw Dago Red begin to "porpoise" just before the starting pylon on the opening lap in the 2004 gold race. They said, "Had it fully porpoised it would have taken out 4 or 5 planes with her because there was a pretty tight group down the shute." They said that this was an indication that Dago Red was at it's limit structurally (because the D airframe is shorter and inverse of the A) and if they pushed it any faster it would be dangerous and potentially fatal. They also said that THIS was probably another reason why Terry Bland wanted to sell her because without MAJOR mods she was at her limit. Just wanted to see what you guys thought.

~Drew
    Long time race fan and follower of this forum.
    "Fly low, go fast, turn left... then level her out and pull up into a victory roll!"

Re: New Question about Dago

Originally posted by drewmoon
    They also said that THIS was probably another reason why Terry Bland wanted to sell her because without MAJOR mods she was at her limit. Just wanted to see what you guys thought.
    I find this to be very doubtful. Coming down the chute they are not going 'that' fast. I would be willing to guess it was more turbulance, since it WAS a pretty crappy day, or perhaps an early indication that Skips canopy was already fogging over and he was having to wipe it clean.

All indications that I have gleened are that the sale is of a personal nature. But who am I to say? My .02 only counts for about .01 around here anyway.

Comment

Good point Speed. Thanks. I remember having my butt frozen to the bleachers during that one. Ironically this was the first race I introduced my wife to the races and despite the cold she's hooked. Lucky me! I wonder if there was any weight to thier assumptions?
      "Fly low, go fast, turn left... then level her out and pull up into a victory roll!"

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
        My .02 only counts for about .01 around here anyway.
        A penny saved is a penny earned!

Jarrod

Comment

They went lots faster on Friday in 2003.
          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by drewmoon
            Hey Everyone,

I was sitting with some friends of my fathers at this years races. Both of these guys used to work on P-51's in WW-II. They mentioned that they both saw Dago Red begin to "porpoise" just before the starting pylon on the opening lap in the 2004 gold race. They said, "Had it fully porpoised it would have taken out 4 or 5 planes with her because there was a pretty tight group down the shute." They said that this was an indication that Dago Red was at it's limit structurally (because the D airframe is shorter and inverse of the A) and if they pushed it any faster it would be dangerous and potentially fatal. They also said that THIS was probably another reason why Terry Bland wanted to sell her because without MAJOR mods she was at her limit. Just wanted to see what you guys thought.

~Drew
            Long time race fan and follower of this forum.
            The red line for a stock P-51D is 505 mph, and we know Dago Red is exceeding that by a pretty good margin. Maybe that is where those guys
            are coming from.(?)

As far as the "D" being shorter than the "A", I'm not sure. Dimensionally both are similar, if not the same.

Comment

I have been under a long standing impression that the razor or turtle back crosections the 51, 47 , etc has less drag and the af went to bubbble for visibility
              ZOOM

**admin note: ZOOM do me a favor and join the board so I don't keep having to go find and approve your messages... OK??**
              Last edited by AAFO_WSagar; 10-20-2005, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Red line for a stock P-51D maybe 505 mph, but Dago is not likely to be hitting 505 indicated on the course.

Anyone know what the indicated speeds are on the top racers? I'm guessing around 400 KIAS?

Comment

Working...
                X