Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Skies - Art Vance

God, the list grows so long....

We have the sad duty of informing you that Unlimited Racing Association President, Warbird Pilot extrodinair, husband, father... Art Vance was fatally injured yesterday when the Grumman Hellcat he was piloting :cword:ed during an apparent attempted emergency landing on a highway.

He will be missed by many, our sincere and heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends.

Wayne Sagar
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Blue Skies - Art Vance

http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Wow, Jeff just contacted me with the news. My condolences to his family and friends.

Comment

Nice tribute Victor- very nice. RG
        Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
        RIP 03/17/10

Comment

I just saw the news on the TunicaAirRace.com website......What a huge loss.....thank you Art!

Comment

It is with great sadness that my wife and I heard of the tragic loss of Art Vance; a dear friend to many warbird drivers and racers and perhaps the best leader we've ever had in the Unlimited Division. Our deepest sympathies go out to Judie, Debbie, Sharon and Dan.

When Art took over as our president, his leadership style, insight and humor kept this ecclectic mix of air racer egos pointed in the same (and right), direction and cleverly balanced our goals and desires with those of RARA. He was probably the most effective representative the Unlimited Division has ever had in promoting and protecting our interests.

When Art talked, we all listened...and he always had some pearl of wisdom, usually surrounding safety, that got all of us, rookie and veteran racer alike, thinking. Who knows how many potential disastrous outcomes to an emergency on the race course he prevented by planting the seed in someone's brain: "Hmm...what would I do in this situation..." If it was only one, all of us owe him a great debt of gratitude.

Whenever I was on the race course at power and Art was overhead, I always had a comforting reassurance that if things turned south, he would be there with a quick, calm input as to what the best option might be for the emergency recovery. That means a great deal to an unlimited racer down in the weeds with the primary focus of flying fast and turning left. I don't think a single one of us can ever think of an instance where Art, as our safety pilot, led us down the wrong path.

So now Art will be looking down on all of us for every pylon turn, lap, and checkered flag. Let us all, racers and fans alike, never forget Art's ambling gait, his wry grin, great humor, and flyer's wisdom.

Art....it just ain't gonna be the same without you.

John

Comment

OMG,
              This is truly sad and shocking news. I'll keep Art and his family in my Prayers. I'm sure there's many, many of you out there that will join me. Art filled some pretty big Bob Hoover sized shoes, and excelled in doing that. Man, he will be missed!

Race 29
              Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

WOW, I just can't belive it, my prayers also for the family.
                Tony

Comment

My condolences too. I did not know him, but I read he was the same pilot who bailed out from a burning Corsair not so long ago.

Very seasoned pilot for sure. Big loss for the community...also the Hellcat was a masterpiece. R.I.P. aviator Art Vance !
                  http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wow, my condolences to the family. I just can't believe how bad a year it has been.

Comment

very sad news indeed.I never met him but,felt like I knew him.

Comment

Prayers to his family
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Damn…

I’m really at a loss, except to say that I would not be an Unlimited race pilot if not for Art Vance. He went out of his way to help me learn the ropes in my rookie year, spending hours on the phone and under a wing trying to teach me how to be an Unlimited race pilot. His style and tone were viewed by some as cold and uncaring, but I found that Art was actually one of the nicest and most genuine people I have ever met.

I recall on the last day of rookie school this year I was flying on Art’s wing and all I could think was that I wanted to tuck in and give him my best. He was that kind of teacher, the kind who leads by example and makes you strive to live up to his high standards. Reno next year will not be the same without our Unlimited Class President, and without my teacher. Thanks Art.

Steve Patterson

Comment

When I saw the initial posting yesterday here and on the "other" site, I had a bad feeling it was gonna be someone we were all familiar with when I saw that it was the POF Hellcat that was down.

I'm going to miss seeing him around at Wings Over the Wine Country and Reno every year. It seemed like his grinning face was everywhere.

He always made "Speedball Alice" howl ever so sweetly when he flew her.

My deepest condolences to the family.

Rob

Comment

.....We have been Blessed by his presence,
                              Shared in his wisdom,
                              learned to live a bit further through him.

God Speed Art Vance.

Rhino jr........some help with the link......(wind-up confuser here) THX
                              Mayday51
                              Jim Gallagher

Comment

Working...
                              X