Gentlemen you have a race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentlemen you have a race

OK, I've been fooling wth my video for a while and am not particularly happy with the results, but I thought I'd share something anyway and ask all the experts out there for some advice.

Here is a link to about 120 second of the gold race from "gentlemen you have a race", around to the home pylon. Its in mpeg4 which means its restricted to 320 x 240 (at least on export from iMovie and Final Cut Express) and since the original "footage" was shot in 16:9 results in somewhat forshortened aircraft. Its about 10 megs down from 263 in raw format.

Gentlemen You Have a Race

Hope I did that right...

I have a Quick time .mov file as well (about 7.7megs). It has the right aspect ratio but the compression artifacts in the video signal are less than satisfactory.

Overall, the audio has just a bit of hiss if you crank it all the way up, and I recommend you do but I'll work on that for the next release. Larry, this is not Geoff's digital sound but what I got on the XL2.

If any of you out there have any advice for post processing to get a reasonable file size while maintianing image quality please let me know. For referrence, the original was shot on a Cannon XL2 in 16:9 60i.

Bradfire, you out there?
    Last edited by Bill@Interstell; 10-06-2005, 12:17 PM.
    Bill Garnett
    InterstellarDust
    Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Re: Gentlemen you have a race

Bill

My player doesn't recognize the .mp4 format. Microsoft didn't have an update either.. wassup with that?

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That's odd. I tested the link from the post and it worked for me. Seems like you had a problem last time with the wav file I linked to that was solved by accesing with Netscape, but I wouldn't expect that is the problem you are having.

Was there an error message?
      Bill Garnett
      InterstellarDust

Comment

Wayne,

Do you have Quick Time? I right clicked the link to save target as, and put the file on my desktop then opened it from quicktime which was able to play it as well. This has the side benefit of letting me double size the image.
        Bill Garnett
        InterstellarDust

Comment

Bill,

I got it to play with Quick Time! Not sure why Windows Media Player doesn't recognize the file type.. nor why Windoze site didn't have info on it either??

Anyway, dood.. that's about as good of video coverage that I've ever seen of a lap!!!

I mean it! You can see the pilot's technique and almost feel what they are thinking! Danny stays high then dives down the valley to gain some speed... Penney just staying far enough ahead as necessary...

WOW.. you've got a really steady pan too man! Nice!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

This is why I come home for lunch - for a quickie
            Thanks!!
            Rachel

Comment

cool video Bill.How about the rest of the race did you get that too?

Comment

Rock on....very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by MAYDAY
                  cool video Bill.How about the rest of the race did you get that too?
                  Lets see I've got about 5 1/2 hours of tape from this year including the entire gold. 3+ hours from last year, then on Hi-8 a couple of hours per year back to 1989, VHS in 88 (that was the last year we gould sit on the front straight between pylon 3 and 4), before that I shot a lot of super8 mm. I have close to an hour of that from one of the early races where it was blowing snow at 45 knots and Hoover still stuck the Shrike show, landing one wheel then the other in a quartering cross tail wind. That would be around 68 or 69 I think. hmmm How much space will I need?

I've got a pretty extensive personal collection of air race history both video and stills that I keep meaning to do something with. I'll bet there are enough of us out there with similar stuff to put together a pretty nice documentary, but them I suppose RARA would be after us for a cut of the action.

I promissed FENCILINER a Big Bossman pass, so I will work on that next.

Anyone interested in a gold race lap from last year?
                  Bill Garnett
                  InterstellarDust

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                    Bill,
                    Anyway, dood.. that's about as good of video coverage that I've ever seen of a lap!!!

I mean it! You can see the pilot's technique and almost feel what they are thinking! Danny stays high then dives down the valley to gain some speed... Penney just staying far enough ahead as necessary...

WOW.. you've got a really steady pan too man! Nice!
                    Wayne
                    Thanks Wayne, that is high praise. I've been "practicing" for a long time.
                    It helps to have a really good tripod for the pans. Money well spent.

Kudos to Dan for flying a great race. You don't really see it happen in this shot, as he goes out of frame for a few seconds, but that dive puts RIII past Dreadnaught for second place. Nice flying Dan.
                    Bill Garnett
                    InterstellarDust

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell
                      Anyone interested in a gold race lap from last year?
                      That would be nice!

Comment

Now that was some classic footage. Thanks Bill.

GP

Comment

Bill, thank you and God bless you!
                          I'll look forward to that Big Bossman pass and I'd love to see the rest of this year's Unlimited Gold (maybe one lap at a time to make it more manageable both in workload for you and download time for dial-up users).
                          I'll look forward to anything you can post. Excellent video! Thanks again.

Comment

Mpeg4

Hey Wayne - Windows Media Player supports mpeg in general as a file type but not the codec associated with the new mpeg-4's. To wit:

"...the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) that specified the widely adopted, Emmy Award-winning standards known as MPEG-1 and MPEG-2... chose the QuickTime file format as the foundation for the new MPEG-4 standard."

Media Player can't decode the file.

Comment

I'd LOVE to see the finish of the Silver final from this year, if you've got it on video Bill. Sadly, I missed it as I had to leave on Sunday morning and was on a 747 headed across the Atlantic at the time of the race.

I seem to have lost my user ID in the post-Reno forum meltdown........

Mike

**admin note** post a message with your former login name or send me your email address and I can reinstate you**

Comment

Working...
                              X