Cottonmouth Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cottonmouth Status

Anyone know current status of these two planes?

Re: Cottonmouth Status

Cottonmouth has a new name and is painted now. Can't remember which plane it is now. Conch Fury maybe.

Comment

Yes! The former Cottonmouth of Jerry Janes was raced this year as race #103, Conch Fury, by Fred Cabanas, an airshow pilot from Florida and a super all around guy. Fred did VERY well in his rookie year, finishing 8th in the Gold Final with a speed around 390 mph.

The other Sea Fury looks like Jim Mott's Super Chief from the mid-'80's, I'd guess? That a/c, the former Signal Sea Fury/Miss Merced was rebuilt by the Sanders back in 1999, I believe, and restored as Sherm Cooper's Miss Merced once again for co-owners Jim Michaels and Steve Bolander. It was raced in 2000 by Jim Michaels and went on to win the Bronze race. The racer was then sold again, and has not made another Reno appearance since. Sure would love to see her again!

SA

Comment

Thanks SMee

Comment

Miss Merced is in my home state of Wisconsin now. It was flown this year at the Indy air show just before Reno. I would have liked to have gone to ask about it's racing status, but could not make it.

Comment

Cottonmouth was beautiful. It must have taken a lot of time to shine that metal. Miss Merced was beautiful too. If anyone remembers it made it to Rookie school without the flames. Just a big yellow bird with a white engine cowl.

Comment

I think there is 6 MK 20's flying.
              I know these 5 have raced at Reno.

Dreadnaught
              Cottonmouth
              That camo one for sale online.

Am I missing one?

Seafury Bob

Comment

The information and pictures that I have (via RG.com on the internet) is that Cottonmouth, now as Conch Fury # 103 crashed at Stead 20 Aug 2008 I understand it was written off. From another source (I forget), but think it was the FAA registry. I will double check I also checked warbirdregistry.org, and they show the last listing as Conch Fury # 103 This aircraft has a history and I am attempting to straighten it out.
                Feel free to contact me.
                P.S. iI used to be the historian for the Joe Davies Heritage Air Park in Palmdale CA. We have aircraft on display that are in some way associated with Air Force plant 42 here. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  I think there is 6 MK 20's flying.
                  I know these 5 have raced at Reno.

Dreadnaught
                  Cottonmouth
                  That camo one for sale online.

Am I missing one?

Seafury Bob
                  N281L Dragon of Cymru ex N8476W Nuthin Special ?
                  now overseas with RNHF
                  Last edited by Warbird Keith; 09-12-2010, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X