Rare Bear in your Mailbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear in your Mailbox

Sorry I continure to be a slacker in getting video downloaded for your enjoyment, but here is something you all might enjoy while you are waiting...

My son Geoff is an accomplished sound engineer and a life long air race fan. This year he brought a portable digital recording unit and a nice microphone up for the weekend. After tuning the varios filters and limiters for a couple of days he was ready to go.

We have both replaced our e-mail "New Mail Notification" alert sound with a nice Rare Bear pass he recorded during the Sunday gold race.

Here are instructions for downloading the .wav file from his web server and replacing your new mail notification or other alert sounds. This really makes getting a new e-mail message fun!

First you need to follow this link and download the wav file to you local machine in the directory of your choice.

Now go to your control panel and select Sounds and devices.

Select the Sounds tab and scroll down to the alert you want to replace. In my case I replaced the New Mail Notification but you can really replace any alert sound you like.

Highlight the alert of your choice and use the browse button to navigate to the ,wav file you saved above.

Click OK and you're in business.

The process may vary slightly depanding on your setup. These steps were done on a Windows XP machine with Outlook mail.

Hope you have good speakers on your PC, but please, be cool . try not to disturb your neighbors at work too much

Thanks for your permission to share Geoff

e-mail be again!!
    Last edited by Bill@Interstell; 09-29-2005, 04:17 PM.
    Bill Garnett
    InterstellarDust
    Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Re: Rare Bear in your Mailbox

omg that rocks!

Comment

Best sound ever!!!!

Now I need to sign up for spam to get more mail notifications throughout the day at work!

Thanks Bill!

Comment

Hummn... I can't get it to download past about 3/4 of the way... went pretty fast at first, then nada...

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
          Hummn... I can't get it to download past about 3/4 of the way... went pretty fast at first, then nada...

Must be a personal problem. I'll e-mail you the file.
          Bill Garnett
          InterstellarDust

Comment

Try it again Wayne. I just checked and didn't have any trouble. You aren't on a Mac are you? I'll try mine when I get home to see if it makes a difference. Damn company I work for tossed all the Macs here a few years ago.
            Bill Garnett
            InterstellarDust

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell
              Try it again Wayne. I just checked and didn't have any trouble. You aren't on a Mac are you? I'll try mine when I get home to see if it makes a difference. Damn company I work for tossed all the Macs here a few years ago.
              I tried again with Netscape (had been having problems with IE downloading it) and it went through immediately. Maybe what happened was that the original got corrupted and each subsequent attempt after that, it seemed to be trying to complete the partial download and never could..

I have it now, wish my laptop, which I sunk a lot of bux into making sure had a good display, had a good sound system. It's a Dell and the sound absolutely SUCKS!

I'll listen to it again on my big machine when I get home.

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Can he make this a ring tone for a Cell phone?

Man that would rock!...

Comment

I'll have to ask him but I'll be the answer is yes. It should just be a matter of exporting it in ring tone format whatever that is.
                  Bill Garnett
                  InterstellarDust

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee
                    Can he make this a ring tone for a Cell phone?

Man that would rock!...
                    Never even gave that a thought. Great idea!

Comment

Come on Bill
                      You and Geoff are holding back
                      How about Silver or Gold first lap down Valley of Speed?
                      Larry

Comment

Originally posted by FENCELINER
                        Come on Bill
                        You and Geoff are holding back
                        How about Silver or Gold first lap down Valley of Speed?
                        Larry
                        Yeah I know, I know. The problem I'm having is with final Cut Express 2. It doesn't seem to want to respect the fact that I shot all the Sunday footage in 16:9 format. Its squeezing the image into 4:3 so I get squatty looking aircraft and a nasty looking aliasing artifact the makes the resolution look like crap. I even resorted to reading the manual but can't figure out how to capture the video like I shot it. I haven't checked to see if there are any new camera setting upgrades avalable and am not wild about spending another $300 bucks for Final Cut Express HD which does have 16:9 because the XL2 isn't an HD camera.

I may have to fall back on iMovie for now as I seem to remember it does handle 16:9

I'll try iMovie tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I've got some good Big Bossman passes in 4:3 native so I'll try to get that captured tomorrow to. I've shot a ton of footage over the years, but I'm new to the editing end of the biz.

Any advice from the experts out there.
                        It looks and sounds really nice just played through my TV/Stero
                        Bill Garnett
                        InterstellarDust

Comment

did your son have muti mics set up at the fence line by that dead end road?If so i think I talked to him
                          www.renosection3.com

Comment

That's great! But now I find my speakers are hooked up backwards . . . . ..

I'll just pretend RB's coming round the far end of the course!

David OD
                            Long Beach CA
                            BomberODavid@aol.com

Comment

Movie would be great but I was talking sound track

Comment

Working...
                              X