Shockwave? American Spirit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockwave? American Spirit?

Greetings, This is my first post here, I've been lurking for awhile but now I finally have a question. I've read mentioning of an Aircraft by the name of Shockwave and from what I understand so far it's a purpose built R-4360 Racer. However I've been unable to find out much more about the Aircraft, The only thing the search engines turn up are entries on Les Shockley jet truck. I also came across another aircraft called American Spirit with a R-3350 Engine, with the name Matt Jackson attached
    to the program.

I've been unable to find any information on either, except that at least one or both of the programs have stalled out due to lack of funds but regardless, I'm curious about these two aircraft and purpose built Air Racers in general. So if anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it Greatly.

Thanks.

Re: Shockwave? American Spirit?

Robert-
    "Search" the site, several posts on articles, and yeah I got d*mned sick of looking at the backside of that silly truck to, waste of good engines......
    I've heard a rumor, the AIRPLANE Shockwave is being "worked" on, somebody needs to bug Darryl for the skinny...
    LOTS of projects in the perpetual state of being "close" to racing, only time will tell...
    Tough to get a sponser without showing them a flying airplane, tough to get an airplane flying, without a sponser, vicious circle.

Paul

Comment

i dunno about shockwave but the last post made by matt jackson about american spirit was that he was fully sponsored and would have the plane done sometime this year
      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

lol, I tend to agree. I've seen it to many times in person and now to many times online. But yeah I know what you mean about the sponsorship racket, I practiacly grew up around automotive racing from the professional NHRA drivers all the way down the line and it's all about money. I just wish the Air Racing Teams and the sport in general had half as many major sponsors as the motor sport organizations do. Oh well.

Thanks Paul, I'll do that search in a moment.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertLawson
          Greetings, This is my first post here, I've been lurking for awhile but now I finally have a question.
          Robert, first of all, I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I extend a huge welcome to a new contributor to the forum! Welcome!

This thread moved from direct mention of the airplanes in your question to sponsorship and I'd like to thank you for registering and becoming a contributor and dovetail your membership into that very subject.

This site can directly benefit from your joining the "numbers" of the people who are registered here. By showing our numbers, it benefits the site in our neverending quest for our elusive slice of the motor sport sponsorship pie. Potentially, our numbers here can directly affect any air ract team when they talk numbers to a potential partner in their race efforts..

Note, I just changed the word sponsor to partner. There was an article in an issue of the ICAS magazine a few years ago. They had done a study and found that the word "sponsor/sponsorship" was a "dirty word" and that it alone sunk many efforts to gain funding when used.

The article encouraged teams, in this case, it was demonstration teams and single pilot/airplane acts, as well as air shows themselves, to use other terms. They suggested partner, and other related words other than "sponsor" but mainly, the article suggested that when speaking with potential backers, that the need was to convey to them that you wanted to help THEM, rather than the other way around. Point out how you are being exposed to their target audience and that their message could be spread by using YOU as the vehicle to spread it...

Anyway... all of us are winding up "hijacking" your thread a bit with this talk but it is all intertwined anyway....

Again, welcome a-board!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Aww...But I LIKE the Shockwave Peterbilt. I even made replica of it for a racing videogame a few years ago, complete with animated flames (pic attached)....I though those engines were timed-out and no longer flightworthy anyway (unless that was another jet-powered wheeled vehicle I'm thinking of).

Click for full size pic

----------

Robert, if interested, there was a post back in December that featured a photo of a model of Daryl's SHOCKWAVE unlimited racer being made:

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!
            Last edited by AirDOGGe; 03-11-2005, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar

This site can directly benefit from your joining the "numbers" of the people who are registered here. By showing our numbers, it benefits the site in our neverending quest for our elusive slice of the motor sport sponsorship pie. Potentially, our numbers here can directly affect any air ract team when they talk numbers to a potential partner in their race efforts..

Hmmm, I never thought of that. I was registered here a while back as Type-327 (or somesuch) and made a couple of posts, but I forgot my password and had changed ISP as well so my email address was different. Anyway, in order to get official again and improve those numbers I just registered again, and made a note of my password

Eddie Baker

Comment

waste of good engines......
                They're only li'l old J-34's from what I understand...no worse than Nascar using the same engines for drying off the track......At least they are in the private eye, and not sitting on a scrap heap somewhere...
                the other Wayne................

Comment

Ahh Thanks, Now I atleast have an idea of what it may look like lol. Interesting though. And as for the other 'Shockwave'?
                  mhmm It's alright and was interesting to watch the first few times I saw it but since then? I've seen it over a dozen times over the years lol. I guess the most memorable moment I have of Shockwave was one of the 'races' with Charlie Hillard which might've been during his last Air Show Season with the Christen Eagles.

Anyway, Thanks again.

Comment

mhmm It's alright and was interesting to watch the first few times I saw it but since then? I've seen it over a dozen times over the years lol.
                    That's understandable. I use to get a thrill watching the Smoke-n-thunder jet dragster at Reno, Moffett, etc., but I've seen it so many times now that "the thrill is gone", to quote a song. It's still a great machine though.

Comment

Working...
                    X