THUNDER MUSTANG no more...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THUNDER MUSTANG no more...?

It's possible that there will be no more kits, unless somebody buys the assets and re-opens the company.

Thunder Mustang Assets For Sale

The Thunder Mustang is not currently in production. Papa51 Co. Ltd., the original manufacturer of the Thunder Mustang is no longer in business.

The Thunder Builders Group L.L.C. acquired the assets required to manufacture the Thunder Mustang through foreclosure on a loan. We have posted these assets for sale. Discussions are ongoing with several interested parties but at this time we have not finalized an agreement that will see this incredible aircraft back in production. Inquiries should be directed to inquire@thundermustang.com .

Also, I don't know if it's related, but I can't get through on the Blue Thunder website anymore.

Re: THUNDER MUSTANG no more...?

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
    It's possible that there will be no more kits, unless somebody buys the assets and re-opens the company.

Also, I don't know if it's related, but I can't get through on the Blue Thunder website anymore.
    Airdoggie... that happend quite a while ago actually, prolly growing on three years or so now. John Parker has, I think the better part of three of them in his shop and in a container outside the shop... (it may only be two, or could be more)

Currently, no new kits are being made though, the whole dream "collapsed" under debt and, well.. it didn't work out..

The site being down looks like it's cause the guy Bill and John rented space from fell on his nose for a while.. a 99.9% uptime agreement gives you something like 8 or 10 hours a year that you can actually be "down"... being down that long annually will usually tick off the client though.. (I think I had mine in January)

Originally John and Bill were going to put the site on this server, (offer is still open Bill) but when they were developing the site, I was too sick to deal with it..

Anyway... I'm sure it'll be back on before too long, it happens to everyone.. for whatever reason, it's really hard to keep a computer running 23/7/365 and never have a hickup..

It just happens..

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Anybody KNOW what's going on with the engines?
      They seem to be the Achilles' heel of the design.

Paul

Comment

that happend quite a while ago actually, prolly growing on three years or so now
        I didn't realize that. The top of the news page is labeled "February 12, 2005", but I guess that only applied to the topmost paragraph. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
          I didn't realize that. The top of the news page is labeled "February 12, 2005", but I guess that only applied to the topmost paragraph. My bad.
          Naa... no bad, anything to get them in the news again is a good thing. Besides, by your link, we learn that another one flew as of Feb 12! That's a good thing.. There's another one up here in the Northwest that I *think* flew fairly recently, or was completed and not yet flown.. there's gotten to be quite a fleet of those little buggers now...

Wishing Bill Pearce would chime in here cause he's close to John Parker and should have all the straight poop first hand on what's going on...

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Awesome videos of the Thundermustang !

Those engines are pretty cool. I bet they could propel a small twin in style of Westland Whirlwind at same speeds with the biggies. How much was the output of a Falconair V-12. They say 640 hp, but how much could Hovey squeeze outa them ?

I recently got a hold of a wartime Whirlwind presentation movie clip. That was one hot ship with R&R Peregrine engines.

They ( Falconers ) would also fit into my racer ( no name yet ! ). Since V-12 ( weight less than 1000 lbs ! ) was not intented for that little twin...the size should be reconsidered ( span => 8.5 meters ! ).
            Attached Files
            Last edited by First time Juke; 03-05-2005, 01:59 AM.
            http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

The website www.bluethunderairracing.com is simply down due to the host. Wayne, I would like to move the stuff to your server sometime. Thank you for the original offer and keeping that offer open. There are actually four domains that I would like to move. Not much bandwidth needed on them until I get some video up of Parker (months off).

The Thunder Mustang resources have been in limbo for some time. John had three in his shop, but only one was his. He was building the other two for customers. I believe there were a total of 25 kits out there. Or maybe it was enough parts to make 25 complete aircraft. Some people purchasing partial kits.

I do think there is a near complete kit in the container behind AAR. John has said that he would like to build an all out race version for "somebody".

The engine has been ever-changing since the prototype Thunder Mustang. The only real problems with the engine that I have known occurred with the red TM at Reno (Tommy Rose's). If I remember right, a connecting rod bolt broke which then sent the connecting rod out the bottom of the oil pan. Tommy said that the bolt was over tightened during assembly and the threads were stretched. Ryan Falconer said that the engine was over revved. Like I said, that is if I remember it correctly.

At any rate, Lou Meyer raced it the next year with no problems.

John's engine problem at Nellis was a result of a man with racing is his blood, no race fuel in the tanks, chasing after Unlimited air racers. Not the engine's fault.

Ryan Falconer then reworked the engine (again) and it performed flawlessly at Reno. John has worked closely with Ryan and I think they have it pretty dialed-in.

George Giboney's TM is out of Puyallup, WA and it has flown. His is a semi-military paint scheme.

Tom Gaston's / Jim Stark's TM has run under it's own power but I do not know if they have done any taxi tests. They are somewhere up in the northwest, I think Oregon. His is painted as "Live Bait" which was WWII ace Clayton Kelly Gross' ride. Gross is a good friend of their's.

One TM will soon be flying in New Zealand and Fred Roscher of San Jose (area) is still working on his. Fred's is the third TM that was in John's hangar but has since been turned over to Fred.

There's your update.
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

So whose Thunder Mustang is this? This was taken last year in Lethbridge, Alberta and I assume that it is Canadian registered by the tail markings.

I have to learn to take better notes when I'm taking pictures.

Rick
                Last edited by rpzo; 03-05-2005, 11:40 AM. Reason: photo not uploading because I had already posted it last August. Added link

Comment

I searched the Canada aircraft registration database and it has the plane I referenced in my previous post listed as a Titan T-51 registered to Dan Hawken of Calgary Alberta.

What's the difference between a Titan T-51 and a Thunder Mustang?

Rick

Comment

I see that there is a Thunder Mustang for sale @ http://www.controller.com/ for $425,000.00. I think that may be out [way out] of my reach. But they sure are nice.

Comment

Originally posted by rpzo
                      What's the difference between a Titan T-51 and a Thunder Mustang? Rick
                      Rick-
                      Titan is an 850 lb. Rotax powered, replica,
                      Titan Aircraft is a personal aircraft manufacturer that sells two types of planes. The Light Sport Tornado series, and the T-51 Series, a P-51 Replica plane. Experimental and Ultralight Aircraft, T-51, T51, Titan, Aircraft, Tornado, Ultralight, Light Sport, Airplane, Austinburg, Ohio, P-51, P51

kinda like a metalized Loehle...
                      NOT a threat to Parker..

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by rpzo
                        What's the difference between a Titan T-51 and a Thunder Mustang? Rick
                        The Titan is metal and the Thunder Mustang is carbon/graphite.
                        If you look close at a Thunder Mustang there are virtualy no panel lines. There is another kit just like the titan made by Stewart, sp?
                        http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                        http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
                          The website www.bluethunderairracing.com is simply down due to the host. Wayne, I would like to move the stuff to your server sometime. Thank you for the original offer and keeping that offer open. There are actually four domains that I would like to move. Not much bandwidth needed on them until I get some video up of Parker (months off)
                          Bill, don't worry about the video, I'm pretty sure the server and bandwidth allowance will handle it..

As far as the space, bring it on.. contact me via mail or gimme a call and we can set you up whenever you need/want the move. Anything I can do to help you and "Pappa Parker" (one of these days, he's gonna strangle, ya think )

You'll have to get an ssh file transfer client (it's a freebie) tho cause I don't like FTP much.. (insecure)..

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by tex-fan
                            I see that there is a Thunder Mustang for sale @ http://www.controller.com/ for $425,000.00. I think that may be out [way out] of my reach. But they sure are nice.
                            That was Tommy Rose's TM. I don't know who he sold it to.

Wayne, we will talk about the move sometime soon. I am not in a hurry, and you know how that can go.

Bill
                            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Tommy Rose sold his Thunder to Gil Graham. Check out the Thunder Mustang web site thundermustang.com. Don't forget to refresh your page if you haven't visited for a while. This site is updated every so often and has some good stuff on it. Gil has N7TR listed on the website for sale.

FYI ... Tommy over-sped the Falconer and cavitated the oil pump which caused the rod bearing to burn and subsequently break. The Falconer engine is a solid performer when operated properly. Subsequent installations have a re-designed oiling sytem to prevent this recurring.

Comment

Working...
                              X