Toyota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota

It sounds to me like Toyota are the sort of company that could enter an aircraft at Reno. After having been involved with Formula 1, Le Mans what else could they do if they want to reach the pinacle of motor racing.
    Will it be in the sport or unlimited class. That is the question.
    It would be really good for this sport if we can get some big name manufacturers involved, and push this sport into the 21st century.

Re: Toyota

It sounds to me like Toyota are the sort of company that could enter an aircraft at Reno. After having been involved with Formula 1, Le Mans what else could they do if they want to reach the pinacle of motor racing.[/B]
    My prediction is that they'll go get their tail kicked in NASCAR for a few years before they even think about air racing, and that may just take some of the fight out of 'em.

;-)

Comment

Toyota Tech.

First of all, let's hear it for the japanese. I think, some of us have always had it in the of our minds as to when, they would attenpt something like this... The thing that interests me more would be theira, and perhaps Acuras "Top Secret" Formula 1 racing engine tech. I mention "top secret" because, there seems to be another "race" of sorts going on with ceramic tech.

Once this engine technology enters the frey,.................. "Forget about it"......<g>

I also enjoy the fact that we have contenders form all over the world. Kind of reminds you of the begining of aviation. If memory serves me correctly, they have been racin planes clear back from the inseption of the things. I think it provides insperation for us <the U.S> and think of the draw contenders<manufactures> from all over the world could generate. With retirement looming on the horizon for some of our favorite racing pilots, and <hate to day it!> some of our favorite racing planes and teams, my hope is that this type of things picks up and catches on.

Wouldn't that be wild if the japanes fielded a Shinden .................
      o.k. so maybe that's too much dreaming...<g>

I'm looking forward to seeing this plane. I am also very much looking forward to seeing all of you @ this years <GOING TO BE KICK ASS!> Air Races!

"PylonVahalla'n"

P.J.

Comment

"My prediction is that they'll go get their tail kicked in NASCAR for a few years before they even think about air racing, and that may just take some of the fight out of 'em."

Actually if you look at the NASCAR Goody's Dash series, Toyota has been in NASCAR for a few years. The current points leader drives a Celica, as does one other driver in the top 10 in points. If Toyota would be allowed to run Winston Cup (right now NASCAR only allows American Manufacturers), I doubt Toyota would get their tail kicked for very long.

Look at what Toyota has already done in IMSA and CART. They started out very poorly in both series, but ended up killing the IMSA GTP class by dominating. They are very competitive in CART now. In Formula 1, they are actually having a very good year for a first year team, and are more competive than many thought they would be.

Gary

Comment

Actually if you look at the NASCAR Goody's Dash series, Toyota has been in NASCAR for a few years. The current points leader drives a Celica, as does one other driver in the top 10 in points. If Toyota would be allowed to run Winston Cup (right now NASCAR only allows American Manufacturers), I doubt Toyota would get their tail kicked for very long.
          The problem with that is that Toyota doesn't have an engine that meets NASCAR rules, and in fact HAS NEVER BUILT an engine that meets NASCAR rules (pushrod v8). I'm sure they can, but it will be a lengthy development cycle, and I would expect it to be 3-5 years, if not more, before it could be competitive. That is assuming NASCAR doesn't revamp their own rules and allow overhead cams and rubberbands- if that is allowed, then Toyota would probably be on an even footing with GM and Chrysler, both of which have OHC v8 engines in production, and a bit ahead of GM which does not... although if the rules allowed *either* OHC or pushrods, I think the pushrod engines would continue to dominate for several more years. With cars as heavy as these, the extra RPM potential of OHC doesn't really come into play much.

Don't get me wrong- I welcome Toyota to NASCAR. It'll give me more cars to root against :-)

Comment

......gee.....I read the article as them dealing with anaerodynamic exercise....

...........no,Toyota does not have a NASCAR legal V-*, but yes they DO have a NASCAR legal engine. (evidenced by the Celicas running Goodys Dash).....

Mayday51
            Jim Gallagher

Comment

Well, Toyato does make a pretty mean DOHC V8 - the Indy CART engine..............
              the other Wayne................

Comment

Actually, Toyota built a wonderful pushrod hemi V8 sold only in their home market luxury sedan a few years ago. One story is that it was a downsized copy of a Keith Black hemi. Maximum displacement was only about 4 liters. Australian hot rodders bought up most of them, but a couple have surfaced in the US.

Comment

Working...
                X