First Flight in 28 Years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Flight in 28 Years!

My brother and I flew the family Aeronca Champ last Saturday for the first time in 28 years. Man does that thing have light wing loading! And yes, I can still dance on the rudder pedals. It was pushed to the side for two homebuilts, marriages, families, trips to Reno races, etc. But it's back in its element. Here's a shot of me ready to go after my brother gave the A-65 an amrstrong start. He flew it first, then it was my turn. Oh joy! Peas

PS And the obligatory cockpit cam shot...
    Attached Files
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Re: First Flight in 28 Years!

Here are some clips. Love that A-65 put, put, put! These were shot with a Sprint Treo 650.
    Attached Files
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

You guys running a rubber prop on that thing?
      Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
      My Photos
      My Ride

Comment

We can't stop fiddling -- new diamond Desser tires! They were the last clinching item for the Oshkosh Classic Grand Champion, an Aeronca Champ by Bob Baker of Michigan, so they're good enough for us!
        Attached Files
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

Here are some Oshkosh and air-to-air shots of the Champ that were blown away by Katrina last Summer.
          Attached Files
          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

And a few more...
            Attached Files
            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

Originally posted by tvrphoto
              Hey Peas, we didn't shoot the Aeronca last year, did we? I was on an EAA photoflight early one morning flying along side and grabbed a few shots...but I don't know if this was yours...
              Tyson: LOL! No, this is Bob Baker's freshly restored Oshkosh Classic Grand Champion 7AC Aeronca Champion, N84020.

It is in exact, out-of-the-factory condition down to the flocked side panels in the cabin. It truly is an amazing restoration. Ours (N84629) is nice, but in a functional way. But I have a scull cap on the prop, so I'm faster. Bob's is immaculate and authentic. He even added new Diamond Desser tires the last morning of judging after having them shipped overnight. Really nice family, too.

If you like Aeroncas, the National Aeronca Fly-In is this June, the 15th-18th at Middletown, Ohio's Hook Field, KMWO. I'll be there. Peas
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

Working...
              X