X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo of E D WEINER mustangs

Hi Guys,
    My first post.
    Im looking for detailed photo`s of the wingtip area of E D Weiners Mustang no 49, Hi Time II, Bardahl Miss, Im researching this to build a 1\32 scale model of these planes. also looking for info on where the wing was clipped exactly, and if the alerons wer capped or not. Were they converted to 2 seaters or not.

Re: Photo of E D WEINER mustangs

Originally posted by mark m
    Hi Guys,
    My first post.
    Im looking for detailed photo`s of the wingtip area of E D Weiners Mustang no 49, Hi Time II, Bardahl Miss, Im researching this to build a 1\32 scale model of these planes. also looking for info on where the wing was clipped exactly, and if the alerons wer capped or not. Were they converted to 2 seaters or not.
    Race #49 (N335J) was equipped with a second seat when it was not racing.

Race #14 (N335) the x-country racer did not have a second seat. When it had the bubble canopy, a large fuel tank was installed behind E.D.'s seat. That was taken out when the low-profile canopy went on in '68.

The wing clip on N335J was at the standard "production break", as the majority of Mustang racers are. This is just outboard of the 'middle' aileron hinge. There should be a panel line on the model that makes it very easy to find. The wing tip was fabricated from aluminum, and was identical to the tips on Chuck Lyford's #8 Challenger/Bardahl Special, Greenamyer's Conquest 1, and the other 'early' wing clips of the day. They were eroniously referred to as 'horner' tips, but in reality they were designed by Mel Cassidy. There were no 'fences' at the tips of the ailerons, as appeared on the second generation of racing wingtips (Jim Larsen designed, Miss RJ, Roto-Finish, Foxy Lady, Precious Metal).

There is a great article in the March 1980 (I think) Air Classics on E.D.'s Mustangs. Lots of good pictures. I think Dusty Carter's "Mustang: The Racing Thoroughbred" has some good pics of both those planes too.

Comment

Working...
    X