prison time for storing WW II parts in his yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prison time for storing WW II parts in his yard

I wonder what parts he has? Anyway, lets keep those spare props and flaps out of site of the neighbors, everyone....Not everyone sees them as treasures, it would seem...

-------------------------------------------------------

Seminole County man gets 3 years in prison for junky yard

SANFORD, FLORIDA -- A man who defied Seminole County officials for more than 13 years by refusing to remove airplane parts and other junk from his yard was sentenced to three years in prison.

Alan Wayne Davis, 49, had been placed on house arrest in September after serving nearly a year in prison for illegal dumping and creating and maintaining a public nuisance.

On Monday, a judge sentenced Davis to three years in prison for violations of his house arrest, including failing to return home from work on time and keeping part of a World War II fighter plane in his yard.

``Mr. Davis is marching to the beat of his own drum at all times,'' the judge said. Davis, a mechanic and welder, claims he's the victim of a government conspiracy and that he's merely fighting to protect his property rights. He was an artist, he insisted, and the pieces of junk were his supplies.

But neighbors and officials said Davis' lawn is an eyesore and he's flaunted the law for years. Once, when a judge ordered him to move the trash, he put it on his roof.

In the hallway outside the courtroom, his wife, Aileen Davis, said, ``This is crazy. This is a victimless crime.''

Re: prison time for storing WW II parts in his yard

that is democracy . in a constitutional republic individuals have rights.

**moderator edit**
    Unregged... you'll probably get more responses if you sign with, at least, a nickname...
    -mod-

Comment

not accordin to the govt

**moderator edit**
      Unregged... you'll probably get more responses if you sign with, at least, a nickname...
      -mod-

Comment

Communities in democracies can pass residential standards and one of the most common is against "junk".

In this case, this guy is not some priceless warbird collector/restorer. He decided to keep many piles of junk in his yard for over a decade, one of which happened to be PART of an aircraft. Yes, he has rights. He was cited non-punatively on multiple occaisions and given literally years to comply with the law. He didn't.

I personally have things that suburban communities would consider "junk" on my property. So I bought property that was zoned agricultural and can therefore do as I please. When I lived in a suburb, I kept everything out of sight because the government that was democratically elected by my neighbors passed laws saying that I had to. We all have the same responsibilities and choices.

Eric Ahlstrom
        Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

In my opinion its his stuff, his yard, his property and he can pile whatever he wants as long as it does not physically affect any of the neighbors or their property.
          Just my thought.

Jarrod

Comment

jarrod, in cases like this having piles of crap in your yard can drive the property values of your neighbors houses down, so it does affect them.
            heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Originally posted by matt
              jarrod, in cases like this having piles of crap in your yard can drive the property values of your neighbors houses down, so it does affect them.
              Yep, Matt's hit the nail. Everyone in a neighborhood has an obligation to their neighbors to help keep the value and character of the "hood" intact. If you just allow any old thing to be "stored" or collected on property, it would begin to look like a war zone pretty quickly...

If you live, as Eric said, in an area that is not as densely populated and zoned, say for agriculture, then you have a bit more leeway.

It's sound thinking and if you are or ever become a property owner, you'll quickly appreciate these rules...

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Anyone know how much of what kind of WWII Fighter is involved. I'd hate to see some good stuff headed off to a landfill due to a court order. Florida? Maybe Kermit Weeks would be interested.
                Bill Garnett
                InterstellarDust
                Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

I haven't seen anything else about it except for that article. Perhaps someone in the area can learn more abut the specific plane parts (I'm on the wrong end of the country for that).

MAtt & Wayne hit it right on the noggin. I've even seen cases of neighbors complaining (and even suing), because somebody painted their house in a color that didn't match the rest of the neighborhood!

Here in parts of Santa Clara Valley, you can't even park your motorhome or boat in front of your house without breaking some law! You have to park it on the side of the house (and no portion of it can project beyond the house), or you have to put it in the backyard or pay to put it in a storage yard.

You can even get cited for parking a car on your own front lawn. With property values reaching rediculous levels around here, people are extra touchy about their homes and/or investments (and I suppose with good reason, when you may have to pay nearly a half-million for a fixer-upper).

I drive 30-40 minutes south to Morgan Hill or Gilroy, and I see houses with several cars practically stacked in their front yards. it all depends on where you live, and WHO you live near to.

Comment

I used to feel it was my yard, my junk. Until I had to sell and deal with unsightly neighbors yards. We have a HOA where I am now. It's a little strict and totalitarian, but driving into the subdivision you can sure see the difference where the HOA's power starts. Houses on our side are in demand and prices rising. Houses on the other side are more run-down and prices stagnant.
                    It's a pain but pays off in the end.
                    And when dealing with local zoning laws or CCR's (city, county) it can take years to enforce something like this, so he's had a lot of warning and it usually has to be pretty bad.

Leo
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

you bet you can get a ticket on your yard, I got one. I left the mustang on the grass over night and in the morning while at the flea market they tagged her. I live in San Jose and we are having a lot of tickets being made in the urban areas for general city funds for things like parking wrong way, to far from the curb, my block alone has recieved about 8 of them up and down the street.
                      We now call when we see that ominous vehicle coming down the street.
                      ECVSteve
                      E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
                      Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

Tickets and fines, true. We have a neighbor who painted a mural on his garage door (acually quite tasteful if tho my cup of tea) and while he fights the HOA it's costing him $25 a week.
                        On the other side, Steve Seghetti in Vacaville once had parts from his P-40 in his side yard visible from the street and I never heard any noise about it, even tho the city ordinance specifically says 'aircraft parts".
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                        X