P 38, White Lightening is at Ezell's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P 38, White Lightening is at Ezell's

I just checked www.ezellaviation.com website, and it looks like White Lightening has just arrived there. I know she's in good hands now. I'm sure glad the boys at Ezell are keeping the new site updated.

Re: P 38, White Lightening is at Ezell's

In one of those pictures is Bill Hubb's P-51. At one point, he was (is?) the mayor of Pecos, Texas, or something like that. I know some people take heat for having a stock Mustang in civilian colors, but I think it's kind of refreshing.

Comment

So he would be the legendary "Pecos Bill!"
      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

He has owned that P-51 since 1971, but someone else belly landed it a while back and Ezell is putting it back together. It looks as if it's about ready to fly again.

Comment

It's good to see that it's going to be rebuilt, sad to see it leave Lefty and Ladd's hands. Also sad to think that it will likely leave the United States.

I know some will probably disagree but since that airplane was one of the Cleveland racers and then raced at Reno thereafter, it sure seems that it has more history as a racer than it did as a military airplane. Wish Red Bull would consider doing her as a racer... probably not much chance though..

I'm sure she will be a beauty once Nelson's shop gets done with her though..

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

For what its worth I pulled this off another forum:

I had a nice talk with a friend in Texas, and he indicated that work will soon begin on the former Lefty Gardner P-38. According to my friend the restoration shop has been instructed to submit drawings by summer of various schemes for paint, all of which are to be "of a non-military nature that best reflects the Red Bull brand" or something like that. Apparently they were very impressed with the work that was done last year in painting one of the Red Bull race planes, owned by David Martin. The P-38 restoration is also to include some sort of custom smoke system that has yet to be engineered. Red Bull has asked to have a system designed that will allow for multi colored smoke and flares to be released with a pre-programmed timer control, I suppose to match up with some musical score played on the ground. The plane is also to be fitted with an RF camera system, so that monitors on the ground can see real time video from the cockpit, and other various shots around the airplane.
            blacksheep
            Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Comment

Originally posted by blacksheep
              flares to be released with a pre-programmed timer control, I suppose to match up with some musical score played on the ground. The plane is also to be fitted with an RF camera system, so that monitors on the ground can see real time video from the cockpit, and other various shots around the airplane.[/I]
              The Red Bull Racing was OK at best. I was not looking forward to seeing it again. However, I would like to see White Lighting again. So, I guess that is the price to pay. Not this year, but maybe in 2006.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

Originally posted by HiredBitSlinger
                The Red Bull Racing was OK at best. I was not looking forward to seeing it again. However, I would like to see White Lighting again. So, I guess that is the price to pay. Not this year, but maybe in 2006.

Dan Plunkett
                Hey, it was always a nice time for me to take a break and get a snack at the car last year.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
                  Hey, it was always a nice time for me to take a break and get a snack at the car last year.
                  Grin! It was a great time to race to the VOS, too!
                  Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                  World Speed Record Holder

Comment

its times like this that I wish I could win the Lottery so white lightening could be returned to her true colors and show the world the beauty of a p 38 without all the glitz and glamour that red bull is going to add to her. I am glad that she will be flying again but sad that it will go to a non aviation related corperation like red bull. I am still anxious to see one of those pilots try to steer her down the ramp with only throttle controls!!! but knowing them they will add some computer aided flying technology. anyways i am just hurt to see her go to a non racing line of work!

Comment

Heres a picture of a "Red Bull" twin boom warbird
                      Attached Files
                      blacksheep

Comment

I am curious why I can't enlarge the attachment? any advice
                        Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
                          I am curious why I can't enlarge the attachment? any advice
                          Jarrod
                          Jarrod, I'm not sure but I saw that too and created a test user because as board admin, I can do anything, so that I could see what was going on with normal user privledges... As far as I can tell, the image that Blacksheep uploaded was only sized to 110 pixels wide. This puts it even below the board specified thumbnail size of 125 pixels, so I *think* what happened was that due to the small size of the uploaded image, it (the board software) does not see the need to create a new page for the click thing. I think it's even in the settings somewhere (there's about a thousand options) for it to ignore images smaller than thumbnail size.. I've seen that option somewhere but it might have been in my graphic proggy but.. that's what appears to be going on..

I'm actually sort of happy though because, the image is probably copyrighted and we're not supposed to upload copyrighted images unless the owner has given us permission.. Unsure where Blacksheep got the image but prolly from Red Bull's site.. no doubt, they would not mind but....

To Blacksheep: Did you get their permission? We have to be stremely rigid in enforcing this copyright thing.. you can put a text link to any image, but not display any image that is copyrighted that we don't have permission to display on the site. That rule is out there to protect the artist and website owner who have the image originally.. and our rules are to protect them *AND* us, because our host is, thankfully, very strict in their enforcement of copyright law.

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

According to my friend the restoration shop has been instructed to submit drawings by summer of various schemes for paint, all of which are to be "of a non-military nature that best reflects the Red Bull brand" or something like that.

Ah well. Fare thee well, White Lightning...Thank you for all the thrills.

Welcome to the world, Red Bull Lightning.....May ye fly until there is no more petrol to burn.....

The only detail that bothers me is, if they take it overseas, then the chances of seeing it at Reno become greatly reduced. I'll keep my fingers crossed, and my camera batteries charged, just in case.

Comment

Wayne ,
                              I Just lifted the picture off another forum post and when I couldn't get it to uploaded I kept reducing it in size and forgot to enlarge it again,
                              heres the link to where I found it

blacksheep

Comment

Working...
                              X