Five Days of Racing in 2005?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five Days of Racing in 2005?

I got my RARA ticket form this week and they mention five days of racing starting on Wednesday. Anyone got any idea what that means to the usual schedule? All classes racing on all days? Staggering of the classes so some more finals are on Saturday? Are they going to start quals on Sunday? Same old Wednesday with general admission?

Anyone heard anything?

Inquiring (obviously) minds want to know...

Rob

Re: Five Days of Racing in 2005?

They have been charging to enter the pits on Wednesday for several years now. Maybe thats what they are refering to?
    Can't wait for the $10 a day from the Saturday before on, I see that one coming.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Several classes had heat races on Wednesday at Reno 2004. RG
      Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
      RIP 03/17/10

Comment

We went into the stands and watched the last quali's from around 1:00 pm on. Missed any races tho. did the hold them earlier? May mneed to adjust my schedule this year!
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Wednesday races at Reno 2004:
          1 C for IF-1 was run at 8:10 AM
          1 C for Bipes was run at 9:47 AM
          Bronze for T-6 was run at 1345
          Medallion race for Sport was run at ???, but results posted at 1600

Hopefully General Admission will still be free, but have to pay to get into the pits. Pits usually open after Quals are finished, and the parties begin.

Don't have any info on which day Quals start, but usually everyone is busy getting credentialled, ie volunteers, and setting up on Sunday, to be ready for Monday opening. Rumors had Quals starting on Sunday for the last 2 or 3 years, but so far it hasn't happened.
          Betty

Comment

lol last year i had some one stop me for a ticket about 1 hour after quals..lol i just went another direction and passed by 3 of the security guys...i guess that one needed a new watch.
            See ya all that the Warlock party
            www.renosection3.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks. I figured this was yet another case of sales puffery and just another way of squeezing another day of admissions out of us. Who is really going to be in the stands on Wednesday anyway? I'm either in the pits or the Valley.

I agree, the days of free qualifying are almost over.

Rob

Comment

The days of general admission are getting shorter it seems too! Every couple of years the boxes, etc. move futher down the line toward the static area. A few years ago they even put special seating area in front of the ramp seating, totally blocking our view of the back course and allowing us the privalage of "guests" walking through the small fence and standing in front of us.
                I worry that someday we'll have another Hamilton. Admission in, then admission to sit, with the bleachers blocking the show so you have no choice. No ticki-no airshow.
                I don't mind paying but not all fans can be part of the white wine crowd...
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

It get's tougher to schedule as the fields get larger, and it appears the Sport Class is destine to grow, and COULD almost spin off an RV Class.. Squeezing in acts & demonstrations with the races, makes for some tough choices. There are a few of the acts I wouldn't miss, but the show planners try to give fans a variety, and yeah the scheduling could be crisper, but you start cutting into safety margins.
                  In my case, partialy because of winds, and scheduling it leaves the Formula One class with races, when few fans have arrived yet, (for those of you who remember "Tom Slick", the race crowds are similar).
                  Folks come down to the pits and ask when do we race, and we tell them three hours ago, kinda tough building a fan base that way.

Rambling done, to the point. What do you think fewer acts, eliminate a class, tougher qualifying with fewer races (silver & gold), longer weeks....

Paul

Comment

I personally would'nt mind a whole week of events.
                    Has anyone talked about bringing back the Racing Biplane class? The top finishers are really starting to step out ahead of the rest. Could Sorceress return, or is she in a museum? Amsoil Racer hangs here in the Hilton but would be cool to see a clone. How about the Cobra?

Leo
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                      I personally would'nt mind a whole week of events.
                      Has anyone talked about bringing back the Racing Biplane class? The top finishers are really starting to step out ahead of the rest. Could Sorceress return, or is she in a museum? Amsoil Racer hangs here in the Hilton but would be cool to see a clone. How about the Cobra?

Leo
                      Don Beck donated Sorceress to the Smithsonian in about 1984 or so.

How about Sundancer?

Comment

The Amsoil Special was totaled in Reno after going through some propwash on a scatter pylon start. Dan was relitvly unhurt. but the plane did not survive... What hangs in the Reno Hilton is a replica. and a damm good looking one at that!.

As an old sport biplane class fan. I would welcome the return.

Comment

Real good!
                          I thought it had been re-done, tho I remember not much being left.
                          Thanks!
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

:sundancer is in a musem too specking of biplane class my neighbor down the street race biplane his named is Fred and he owned bill boland Mong for a short time and i had a conversation about sorceress good story.

all the best shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
                              :sundancer is in a musem too specking of biplane class my neighbor down the street race biplane his named is Fred and he owned bill boland Mong for a short time and i had a conversation about sorceress good story.

all the best shawn
                              How you doing with all the snow Shawn? You guys really got hit this winter!

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X