Whuups!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whuups!!!!!!!!!

OOPS! Here I was wondering why there were no posts coming in and then I noticed.. THE BOARD IS STILL TURNED OFF!!!!!

I turned it off earlier this afternoon to reboot, did the boot, then went onto other things that needed fixing, HOURS ago..

Anyway, the contact page is back to working at rarebear.com (and other sites where it had gone down) the server is right up to date, message board is right up to date...

ahhh.... message board is turned back on..

What else?? Don't hesitate to let me know if you notice something not working. Ther's always SOMETHING missing when a server move takes place!!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Whuups!!!!!!!!!

Oh.. by the way... did I mention......

I NEED A HUG...

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne, I wish I could let my wife hug you-you'd enjoy it more-but you can considered yourself hugged by an old DC-10 driver.

Ron Henning
      Ron Henning

Comment

Hey Wayne, errr back to the thumbnails only. When I click on a thumb it comes up blank
        http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
        http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Ah... no worries Wayner. It's good to have the board back anyway we can get it.
          Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
          My Photos
          My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Marauder61

Hey Wayne, errr back to the thumbnails only. When I click on a thumb it comes up blank
            Now if this isn't the strangest thing! She was workin completely last night and I think this morning. Now this..

See, this is why this has been such a hair puller!

There really is no explanation for it. Now, we're right back where we were... unless.. the server upgrade today took out some changes I made, which is likely....

Checking..

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
              Ah... no worries Wayner. It's good to have the board back anyway we can get it.
              Thanks Stevo, thanks Marauder61

THIS TIME.... I was able to figure out what went wrong..

Ready for some boring detail stuff???

I'll keep it short..

Long story short.. you can set sites in very secure mode, where they are in a "jailed" environment, whereby, the site's "root" starts where the site starts within the virtual server realm of the server.. Ok.. so then, if you are in that mode, a full path for an attachment folder, say,

actualserverroot/nextfolder/virtualdomains/aafo/next/next/we're here

Will not work..

ok.. So, here's the problem.. I had the site set to "compatible" from way back when we first moved here from the old old box, which made full path stuff the right way to go...

So, I decide to up the security of the entire server by making this site a totally secure, "jailed" domain and then I check and it's working and we're ok... THEN I start messing with reupping those stupid database backups, which carry with them the info where the image folder is and you can guess the rest.. I did not go back and double check images one last time and we were back in deep doodoo...

The problem was made harder last night and since the latest move, because there were TWO problems messing with the images..

Completely separate but, that makes it much harder to figure out what in heck was wrong..

In truth, Cobra had the solution fairly early on but.. When I tried one of his solutions, without trying them both at the same time.. no joy..

We're back to ok now though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up, I really hate to read them, it's like... OH NO.. NOOOOT AGAIN!!!

But I need to know asap so I can nail this stuff and be able to sleep again!

Thanks guys!

(I dunno, I think it makes a pretty good sig?)
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Oh Yea...

I forgot, there was a third "candidate" that *could* have been messing with the images and threw a curve into the whole thing..

Apache 2 does not support a module that I have been using on the old server forever, called Mod_Gzip... this compresses the code part of all the pages on the server before it sends them to you, all modern browsers recognize this compressed content and once downloaded, instantly decompress the code..

This makes pages load significantly faster, like it will reduce say 35 or 40 kilobytes of code down to maybe 6 or 7! Makes the page pretty well snap into place and then all the energy can go to load the images on a given web page..

Ok, here's the rub, apache 2 supports Mod_deflate.. does the same thing, uses the same server utility "gzip" but, apparantly, some "includes" that involve php (what this board is written in) will show blank pages when using Mod_deflate...

I had it enabled and thought that was the likely culprit..

Luckily, it was the path/to/image/folder that was the issue... so I can continue to use it and enjoy the faster loading and less of a dent in the *ho hum* fourteenhundredgigabyte bandwidth allowance we now enjoy with this new speedster!

I remember when I bought my first dedicated server, I got 50gb of month on a really slow server with 256 of memory and paid almost $300. a month for it, unmanaged (meaning, I'm responsible for keeping it up to date and running).. times sure have changed!

Knock on wood, we're now, once again, up and fully running.. <looks around wondering what's next>

Attached Files
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayners, leave the hair alone! and
                  ECVSteve
                  E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
                  Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

Working...
                  X