Most exciting Unlimited Gold race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most exciting Unlimited Gold race?

What year would you say had the most hair-raising, close-called, knock-down, drag-out, balls to the wall, spectators on their feet screaming, hard-core, nose to nose, battle-to-the-end Unlimited Gold race to date at Reno? Let's hear about it!

-Eric J., chomping at the bit 'till September

Probably not the most hard fought but one that is probably my most memorable.. (if you can, indeed, pick just one)

In 2000, on thursday when Gary, Bill and the MA2 gang finally fixed the cooling problem and Gary walked away with his heat race and she was "makin ice cubes"....

The airplane and the team were and will always be one of the most memorable "events" that ever came to Reno!

The product of a monumental effort by a bunch of people and great flying by one of the all time great men of the sport.. that one comes to mind after thinking about it for a while..

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

1991!

Definitely 1991! Rare Bear, Strega and Tsunami within seconds each lap!

Wayne, might want to recheck years... 1999 is the year MA2 was lost. Thre Reno heat this weekend might have ya turned around <grin>

Michael

Comment

Re: 1991!

Originally posted by Mluvara
        Wayne, might want to recheck years... 1999 is the year MA2 was lost. Thre Reno heat this weekend might have ya turned around <grin>
        Yep.. funny thing, all last week and now this week, I'm feeling like today is tomorrow.. like this feels like Tuesday, all last week, thurs was fri, fri sat... etc.. Go figure..

She was a beauty tho.. couldn't even look at it for a while but right now the sole picture on my wall is one I took of Gary in '99... a poser with a bottle of water in his hand... I'll always remember that moment as *THE* moment that I remember of him...

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

....I don't think there was ever a "Bad " one....

......'97 97 (?)......Strega vs Dago .....ya coulda covered 'em with a blanket.....I think all of section three had simultaneous orgasms...

.........(and I'm sure other sets of knickers got moist too!).....

.....(we,the zoo crew,(me and some real old nuts) set just in front of section 3)....where else do the performers come over the fence to shake hands?....the Snow Birds give "olympic score cards to the fans......ANG C-130 backs in and displays a LARGE orange section 3 banner (bedsheet(?)).....

.....Hey wayne wanna sponsor a gopher for this year's races?...
          Mayday51
          Jim Gallagher

Comment

A Bad One?

The year they had the gold shootout won by Rare Bear at 424(?)--it wasn't good. In '91 we were all going out of our minds crazy every lap with the speeds increasing and those speeds were faster that qualifying and faster than anyone had ever flown an unlimited course. It was unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X