Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Model builders- what are you working on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model builders- what are you working on?

I know some of you guys like to chop up model warbirds and turn 'em into racers. What's on your bench?

Here are some of mine:

1/48 Miss Ashley II. Monogram P-51D fuselage, Airfix Seafire 46/47 nose, Hasegawa Lear Jet wing and horizontal stabilizers.

1/48 World Jet P-51. High Planes limited production kit.

1/48 Shockwave. Hobbycraft Sea Fury Wing and fuse, heavily modified. They will both be modified more to hide their Sea Fury origin. Monogram F-86 tail. The spinners were turned on my lathe. One is for 3 blades and one is for 4. Prop will be from Tamiya's F-51D (Korean war box). It's the uncuffed blades. If I can find a wide chord prop, I'll use the 3-blade spinner.

I also have a Hasegawa F4U-7 that I bought to turn into the All-Coast Super Corsair. (Shoulda bought a cheaper, less detailed model!). I just ordered some Taichiro Yama****a drawings and I'm waiting for them to arrive before chopping up the Corsair. What spinner did the Super Corsair use??

Re: Model builders- what are you working on?

hey lee, how is the precious metal kit? any good?

that shockwave is awesome, wide chord props, as in the triangular props used on many mustangs today? if it is hasegawa offers a few different mustang kits with metal props of that type.

the super corsair first used p-51h props i believe and then switched to a custom spinner i think, not sure.

here's my list of models in progress

1. dago red (full out detail)
    2. sumthin' else
    3. 1/32 hasegawa mustang, not sure what i'll do with it
    4. 1/24 hobbycraft mustang will be kit carsons plane before it was nooky booky
    5. 2 tomcats
    and a partridge in a pear tree

oh and one 1/48 monogram mustang i'm thinking of building up as jeannie or miss candace, maybe another precious metal.
    heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Matt-
      The High Planes World Jet Mustang is a good kit. It has a fair amount of flash but it's VERY nice compared to their 1/72 Perestroika/Czech Mate kit. I believe that for the Mustang they modified Tamiya and Hasegawa parts then copied those modified parts. If you have more money than time, the High Planes kits can be used as a conversion for a stock warbird. The decals alone make them worth the price.

For your Precious Metal, I'd try to find the contra-prop parts out of Airfix's Seafire 46/47 or Spitfire Mk 22/24 (I think that's the right Spitfire anyway. It's the pair of kits they released about ten years ago. Really nice kits.)

Wow. I just noticed that the software won't let me write Taichiro's last name.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee from Texas

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That's probably because of the word filters Wayne has setup. The last part of Tachiro's last name has the four letter "s" word.

BTW, nice looking models...

Michael

Comment

lee for my griffon powered precious metal i just turned the super chager inlet piece on the monogram model upside down, lowered the exhaust stacks and then put a seafire spinner (that's what i had originally anyway, i lost the first half of the spinner so i scratchbuilt a new one) with modified monogram p-38 and hasegawa p-51 props in place of the seafires. took a lot of putty but it turned out ok.
            heh heh alriiiight

Comment

I am putting a radial R-4360 on a 1/48 monagram P-51D, I moved the canopy aft like on tsunami, I then used, 1/72 Hasegawa F-18 horizontal stabs, I cliped the wings and tail, I milled the cowling, spinner, and landing gear struts out of steel, and I used blades from a 1/48 monagram B-36 prop.

this has been a 7 year project, but getting closer all the time!, when I find away to get my pics on the web I'll post them (not very savvy with html and all that stuff)

Great looking kits LEE!
              Tony

Comment

Very impressive modeling guys...Top-notch...

I am putting a radial R-4360 on a 1/48 monagram P-51D,
                I wonder if that is even feasible in real life? You'd think one would have to extend the fuselage 6-10 feet aft of the wing, to get it to balance correctly with all that metal up front.

That's probably because of the word filters Wayne has setup. The last part of Tachiro's last name has the four letter "s" word.
                No doubt. I've seen it happen in other family-rated forums when
                members tried to use the words S-C-R-A-P and C-L-A-S-S.

Comment

Originally posted by deepsky
                  I am putting a radial R-4360 on a 1/48 monagram P-51D, I moved the canopy aft like on tsunami, I then used, 1/72 Hasegawa F-18 horizontal stabs, I cliped the wings and tail, I milled the cowling, spinner, and landing gear struts out of steel, and I used blades from a 1/48 monagram B-36 prop.

this has been a 7 year project, but getting closer all the time!, when I find away to get my pics on the web I'll post them (not very savvy with html and all that stuff)

Great looking kits LEE!
                  A few years ago someone told me about a plan to make a real corncob-powered P-51. Is this a model of the plane that never got off the drawing board or something totally out of your imagination? I'd love to see pics.

BTW I also have a 1/48 Perestroika project. I started on it several years ago when no kit of the Yak-11 was available. It's a Yak 7 or 9 fuselage from LTD that has been widened and mated up to a Monogram P-61 cowl ring. After lots of putty and sanding, I'm pleased with it. I think I made a mistake in having the nose tapered. Now that I have machine tools, I may just turn a new nose on the lathe.

The wing is from an ICM Yak 7 or 9. The chord has been narrowed, ailerons shortened, and wingtips reshaped. I realized that it was not aligned properly so I had to pry it off. That's why all the putty is on it.

Beside it is my 1/72 Perestroika kit from High Planes.

Thanks for the compliment

Comment

Originally posted by deepsky
                    when I find away to get my pics on the web I'll post them (not very savvy with html and all that stuff)
                    Deepsky, you don't have to know HTML to post pix here. Just make sure the photo is sized to no more than 800 pixels wide then click on the manage attachments button below the message box when you're typing in your message. It offers a "browse" button that lets you navigate your home system till you get to the photo/photos you want to share. You then click on them and add them to the list and click on the upload button and away you go. They will appear as clickable thumbnails in your message and we can see what cha got.

Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hi,

In 1/48th plastic, I have 2004 Dago Red, 2003 Riff Raff, and 1947 F2G #74.

Actively in process in 1/48th plastic, I have 2004 Voodoo, 1949 XF2G #94, 2004 Exxon Tiger.

If anyone would like my jpeg files of Dago Red's or Riff Raff's decals, just PM me your e-mail.

TTFN....Kenn

May all your bentwings be F2G Corsairs!
                      Attached Files
                      May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Speaking of F2G's
                        Here are afew of my 1/2a powered 1/24th scale Controline models.

I am kinda a Corsair Nut.

Kenn
                        Attached Files

Comment

I have heard of the radial mustang but have not seen anything about it, this came from my love of round powerd planes and the sleek lines of the P-51, matter of fact I had made a P-51 with 2 merlins mounted end to end with trycicle landing gear, but it looked more like a PC-9 than a racer, so I cut it up and started this project. I am going to change the vertical stabilizer, and reposision the horizontal stabilizers. prop blade, one wheele, and stabilizer were damaged by my son and I havn't repaired them yet.

Thanks Wayne, I'll give it a try!

Hey Ken, I also am a huge fan of the corsair, no other plane looks as good!!!!! what about the five blade prop on the F2G, was that a real mod. on the plane or your personnal touch? very cool looking!
                          Attached Files
                          Tony

Comment

Deepsky,

The -5- bladed prop is just an illusion. Here is another picture taken with my webcam.

Kenn

Comment

ken,

thats funny, now I can see that it is the wing!
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X