Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear photos on ebay

Hey Wayne,

Who is this Joanna Thompson that is listing these photos? Says to be the "assistant crew photographer". They look like some that you have posted here before.

50% of the proceeds go directly to the Rare Bear. Maybe the start of a new fundraising effort.

Just curious,

Kevin

Re: Rare Bear photos on ebay

Joanna is "photo" Matt Thompson's wife and also a crew member of Rare Bear Air Racing. Matt has some really good stuff! Good to see him finding an outlet for it!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

So what would happen if someone asked to buy one of my photos from Reno? Not that anyone has asked, but I assume you would need permission from the team/owner right? RARA also if you can tell the photo was taken at Reno, right?

What about an air shot where all you can see is sky, do you need RARA's ok to sell this? In this case you could claim the shot was taken anywhere.

Just asking.

Comment

Tim,

it would depend on what the person buying the photo was going to do with it, I think.. Actually, I'm not sure who would bear the responsiblity to get the permission in a case like where the photo was going to be used for an advertisement to sell a product etc..

I've never known any of the teams to care if someone sold a photo taken of them, In the case of the Rare Bear, they are the only team I know of who has the name of the airplane trademarked. That said, I don' think they have ever had a problem with photo sales. Matt and Joanna giving the percentage they do to the Bear is just their way of helping even more. Matt wrenches on the Bear and Joanna is very active in whatever role is asked of her any time she's there.

As for commission to RARA. When you get a media pass, part of the agreement is to pay RARA a commission whenever photo sales occur, other than for journalistic use (publishing).

I don't think they have any control over what a "private citizen" does... but I would not sell a photo to someone who is going to use it in an ad if I were you, particularly, if it has the trademarked Reno logo in it..

Zat splain it?? It's how it is to the best of my knowledge.. None of us sell very many prints, no matter where or how we get them!

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I get it. I have read so much stuff on other forums about releases and such, it makes your head spin. I know on the back of the EAA ticket it clearly states if you sell any photo, EAA has to ok it since they have the rights to any photo you take at Oshkosh.

Like I said though, nobody is beating my door down asking for prints.

Comment

Working...
          X