The Beguine ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beguine ?

It seems everytime I read anything on J.D. Reeds "Beguine " P-51C Mustang the wingtip radiators come up more than the alleged "asymmetric" wing does.
    Does anyone have a good Picture that shows the wings (front view , top view) or a three view drawing
    blacksheep
    Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Re: The Beguine ?

The plane was owned by J.Cochran (Famous women pilot) and flown by Bill Odom in Cleveland Thompson Trophy race and was killed in it racing. It also klled a woman & child in house.It ended the Cleveland Air Races at that time frame. Randy Goss should have some pictures of it Beautiful plane.
    Bob Gollwitzer
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

My searches have not found anything but some photos that might be helpful. I thought I might be able to find some RC aircraft plans, but no luck.

For those readers unfamiliar with Beguine's creation and fate, I included a few links to the story of this event:

(photos)

(Warning: Very discriptive story about the crash of racer #7)

(3 pages with close-up photos of the radiator pods)
      Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

(This Adobe PDF file describes a model kit for Beguine's pods, and has a pretty good close-up photo of the real plane's right wing pod

( This site has pics of air racer models, including one of Beguine (click to enlarge)):

Comment

The general concensus is that the wings were equal lenght and that the rumor was started as joke by Beech.

Michele

Comment

I did not quite understand first Bequine was a C model. Other C models in the races ?

here is a neat C model P-51:

http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't think I ever saw a "B" at reno myself...They've all been D models or later...

In the early 80's I saw a rare A-model at the races, but it wasn't a competitive racer....

A, B and C models had the turtledeck like Beguine.....The bubble canopy appeared with the D model 'Stangs....

I shot these pics of an A model (N51Z) at Moffett Field in the late 90s....You can read details about it at Mustangsmustangs:

P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership
            Last edited by AirDOGGe; 01-14-2005, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Hmmm...I tried to attach some photos, but they are not appearing....I upped them to my site instead. Click the thumbnails for the full size photos:

Comment

skip holm flew a p-51b in the early 80's if i remember right
                heh heh alriiiight

Comment

In 1981, Steve Hinton and Jim Maloney flew P51A N4235Y. They alternated heat races.

Placed 5th out of 7 in the Silver Finals at 328.69 Mph

In 1982 Skip Holm flew Pete Regina's P51B Shangri-La Race #68
                  Placed 3rd out of 7 in the Silver Finals at 369.48 MPH
                  This plane later became race #97 "The Believer"

Several P51B/C and A36's flew in the Postwar National Air Races also.

TTFN....Kenn
                  May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

In 1981, Steve Hinton and Jim Maloney flew P51A N4235Y.
                    That's the one I remember....Same year the BF-109 had the gear collapse (which happened less than an hour before I set foot on Stead soil for the first time in my life).

I forgot about Shangri-La.....Probably "water on the brain" from all the dang rainfall that year (we literally had a stream flowing through the middle of our campsite!)

...Placed 5th out of 7 in the Silver...
                    Hmmm...Not bad....Better than I thought it did.....Just shows what an Allison-powered 'Stang could do at lower altitudes...

Thx for the reminder....

Comment

Working...
                    X