Flight of the Phoenix Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight of the Phoenix Movie

Just wondering What you all thing about that New Flight OF The Phoenix Movie. I thought it was ok. But the Original with Jimmy Stewart was alot better. To bad that Paul Mantez was lost flying it. The airplane they flew in the movie had landing gear instead of a skid. That is what caused the original airplane to crash flipping over on top of pilot. The story was a lot different too.

Catch Ya, Later

Mark
    Mark G. Ehlers

Re: Flight of the Phoenix Movie

Paul Mantz was killed when the "skid" of the aircraft caught on
    a sand Ridge or dune while doing an extra pass just after they had
    shot the final "pass" for the movie. He was filling in for his partner
    Frank Tallman as Tallman could not fly due to a leg injury he picked up
    while pushing his son's go-cart. He lost the leg.....and then went to an artificial leg for the rest of his career....including his great act in his
    "Duck* at the 1976 Reno Races.
    Two Greats gone too soon...Tallman in an IFR accident on the way home from a shoot.

Comment

We just saw it Friday night. I was expecting to be disappointed, and to come out saying they butchered a classic. I was pleasantly surprised at how closely they followed the original. They made a few changes (adding a female cast member, and giving the desert nomads a larger part) but all in all I thought they did OK. Some of the dialogue is verbatim from the original, and they preserved my favorite part of the movie.

Of course I also feel the original was better with Jimmy Stewart, but all in all I would say the new Phoenix is a fun night at the movies. Although I really enjoyed The Aviator, I found myself in a better mood walking out of this one.

Comment

I was also pleasently suprised on how they followed the original. I thought the computer graphics of the plane crash were a bit "comic bookish", but just seeing the in flight footage and close up ground footage of that beautiful C-119 made all the shortcomings seem minor.

Comment

Working...
        X