Flying into Reno..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying into Reno..

My son may have access to a Navajo in Sept, and we are thinking of flying down to Reno for 2005.

Whats the drill? I know Stead is closed to GA aircraft..
    the other Wayne................

Re: Flying into Reno..

I flew into Reno International this year. The Staff at Mercury Air Center FBO had the drill down real well. Runway 25/7 was closed and turned into a large parking lot, there were even planes parked on the grass. Mercury had a shuttle busses and lineman to park you. The plane was filled up and ready to go when I returned just as requested...Prices were reasonable for the services they provided. They even found me a rental car, when I called directly to the rental car companies I was told there were no cars avalible.

Be ready well before you enter Reno's airspace. Have all your frequencies ready...It is going to be busy! If you are planning to fly IFR you may need a reservation depending when you arrive/depart. I am a relatively low time pilot flying a Cherokee, I had no problem. Everybody at Reno International did a great job with all the traffic.

Comment

Thanks for the info..If we pull this off, we would probably file IFR...

Comment

In 2003 we flew into Fallon Muni and drove over the hill to Stead; we didn't want to have to mix in the motorglider with the heavy iron at Reno Int'l. Fallon's not that far, the airspace is uncrowded (except for Fallon NAS next door) and the airport is sleepy. There were a couple of other race week attendees parked on the ramp, too. Walt at Fallon Airmotive took care of things; he arranged for hangar space and an oil change while we were over at the races.
        SteveZ

Comment

Thanks...How far is Fallon to Reno? Is there any bus transportation?

..no sense renting a car that is going to sit in the parking lot all weekend...!

Comment

It's not quite an hour by car from Fallon to Reno. Buses, I don't know, and you'd still have to get from the airport to a bus station somehow. The rental car option worked well for us; on arrival we were able to drive straight from Fallon to Stead, we weren't dependent on a hotel shuttle and we could arrive at the airfield as early--and stay as late--as we wanted. Which was pretty darned early, and way late.
            SteveZ

Comment

..good point !!!!

Comment

Working...
              X