Engine Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Alternatives

I was curious as to why Allison Engines arn't used? They are a larger displacement compared to a Merlin so I would assume you could get more HP out of it than a Merlin. Is there a lack of Allison engines?

Also was the Tornado engine ever built? From the drawings it looks impressive with its 42 cylinders.

Jarrod

Re: Engine Alternatives

The Wright Tornado R-2160 was never built. At first they were going to have the front half air cooled and the rear water cooled. But then I think they switched to all water cooled.

As far as Allisons go, I think there was never a really good super-charging system that was used. The Merlin just made more power and more potential with what is availibe. They did have a really need supercharged/turbo-compound set-up.

Bill Pearce
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

the allison -145 produced 2500 hp stock, although i'm sure it was a pain to maintain (anyone ever worked on one?), not bad for an engine that originally only produced 1100 hp.

there are many times that have tried modified allison engines but the most that came of it was a bang. i still have faith in allisons though.
      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Ok so what about the Huge Allison that was used in modified p-38's for recon? Was it bigger in displacement than the R-3350?

Comment

you mean this jarrod?

yes, the engine was 3,420 ci's but it was basically just two 1710's geared to a common shaft. as far as i know there's only one example in the world. the p-58 never entered service.

note also this p-38 variant

it looks alot like the p-38 but had much smaller engines, it didn't go into service either.
          heh heh alriiiight

Comment

The 3420 was also used in the XP-75. It turned out not to work very well (along with the plane). When the XP-75 was redesigned and became the better looking and performing but still not very good XP-75A, it used the 1710.

Also there was a B-29 variant (I forget the "X" number) that used 3420s.

Forget all this small engine stuff jarrod. Go check out the Lycoming XR-7755. Now that's a big engine! Five thousand horsepower, 6050 lbs., and 580 gph fuel consumption at take-off power.

Also the P&W H-3730 was supposed to be a great engine. It was water-cooled and as such, lost some appeal to the Navy who it was designed for. Once it's designer, George Mead, resigned due to health problems, it was shelved for the R-4360.

But never overlook the Rolls-Royce Crecy. About the size of a Merlin but with twice the power. Sleeve-valve and 2-stroke, Harry Ricardo really believed in it, but the turbine and peace made it's troubled development come to an end.

Bill Pearce
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Are their any unlimted class race planes flying whit fuel injection of some sort or electronic fuel
              injection???

Comment

only 232 that i know of...
                heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Working...
                X