mini mouse motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mini mouse motor?

In the current copy of Fly RC (January 2005)is an article on a scratch build 1/8 scale working Rolls Royce Merlin !

Built by Dick Yeagley over a 10 year period with information provided by the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, the EAA and the Stallion 51 Group

made out of all aircraft material, no castings

It burns 100-octane low lead aviation gasoline ,lubricated by a 50/50 mix of 5x30 castrol motor oil and Shaler Rislone and cooled by diluted ethylene glycol

Its been ran at approximately 5,000 rpm with a 17in 4 bladed prop
    blacksheep
    Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Re: mini mouse motor?

1/8 scale? If this is the x,y,z dimensional scale factor the displacement works out to ~3 ci !!! If the ci were scaled 1:8, we would have 200 ci and an engine about 1/3 x,y,z scale.

If this is a working, SOHC, 4-valve, etc. etc. Merlin at 3 ci it is an absolutely incredible achievement. That's a whopping 4 cc per cylinder. A decade? Sounds like a life's work!

Comment

overall length11.5in, cylinder bore is.688 and the stroke is .766 inches for a total displacement of 3.4 ci

The distributors have 69 individual pieces and the caps have 40
      the larges machine screw is 0.034 in diameter
      blacksheep

Comment

Not the same engine BlackSheep is talking about but just as impressive I'm sure ---> http://archive.dstc.edu.au/BDU/staff...y/croft/eagle/

I have some video of one of these small Merlins running, sure wish I could remember where I got it from...
        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
        My Photos
        My Ride

Comment

I thought the minature Offys and V-8's I've seen were cool until I saw these , OUTSTANDING !!
          blacksheep

Comment

I knew if I looked hard enough I'd find IT! Click the link, then check out the video
            Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
            My Photos
            My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
              I knew if I looked hard enough I'd find IT! Click the link, then check out the video
              Wow... sure would like to hear it with straight stacks! Or, maybe hear a real Merlin with the combined maifolds/headers

Simply amazing what someone can do with their spare time, given talent and tools!

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
              X