T-Birds and Snowbirds to be at Reno '05

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Birds and Snowbirds to be at Reno '05

As reported in another thread..........Thanks, Paintboy!

"Mike Houghton stated RARA had secured both the T-Birds and Snowbirds for 05 and would be finalizing the deal at ICAS next month. Good news for the races as this duo will certainly bring out the crowds."

Wow, I can't WAIT!!!

Gary

Re: T-Birds and Snowbirds to be at Reno '05

cool ive never seen the snowbirds wow what a show
    www.renosection3.com

Comment

Originally posted by Section3guy
      cool ive never seen the snowbirds wow what a show
      I've missed them, they are quite impressive, especially when you consider what they are flying. They put on a real 'finease' routine. Unless thev've modified the routine, the full formation approach, from over the mountain, is a real Kodak moment.
      GREAT to see some of the military acts return... ...Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
        They put on a real 'finease' routine.

I think you hit it RIGHT on the money. The T-Birds and Blues are about turning tax dollars into noise, albeit in a very impressive way.

The Snowbirds are ALL about finesse and gracefullness. There's just a beauty to their performance that pilots can appreciate.

Now...the Frecci Tri Colori...those guys are just plane NUTS. I don't know how many of you out there have actually seen the crazy Italians do their stuff, but man, it is a real eye-opener. Don't let that accident back in Germany in '88 sour your view of them...these guys do things in jets that you just shouldn't be able to do. I had to remind myself to breathe while watching them. Breathtaking was one way of describing them.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
          Now...the Frecci Tri Colori...those guys are just plane NUTS. I don't know how many of you out there have actually seen the crazy Italians do their stuff, but man, it is a real eye-opener. Don't let that accident back in Germany in '88 sour your view of them...these guys do things in jets that you just shouldn't be able to do. I had to remind myself to breathe while watching them. Breathtaking was one way of describing them.
          Unfortunately, I've missed the Tri-Colori, so far, and it's unfortunate accidents & incidents so often limit what we see here in the U.S.
          I want just ONE "crew-day", just for the participants. A no-holes-bared, no dead-lines, I'VE SIGNED THE WAIVER, GO-NUTS, DAY. I've been priviledged, in the past, on those late test sessions, to see stuff. those pudgy guys in white shirts & skinny black ties, would NOT approve-of. So let's give the Feds the afternoon off, and have some FUN. .Paul

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
            The Snowbirds are ALL about finesse and gracefullness. There's just a beauty to their performance that pilots can appreciate.
            I always thought it was the Canadians saying "if we can't match them with noise, we'll match them with sheer numbers of airplanes!"

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
              I always thought it was the Canadians saying "if we can't match them with noise, we'll match them with sheer numbers of airplanes!"

Yeah, but I would NEVER want to be the pilot in the MIDDLE of that 9 plane formation.....no place to go.

Comment

Yeah Brad, I suppose that could be a consideration...
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello Off topic, but have you seen these:

pretty cool..train in my hometown in Finland.

rgds,

Juke
                  http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I saw Frecci Tri Colori in the mid-80's when they came to Moffett Field, Calif. They were very professional, and their performance was outstanding. The three smoke colors they use reallys adds to the visual experience too.

Comment

I agree about Frecce Tricolori !

rgds,

Juke
                      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just checked the schedule and the T-Bird's are doing a Fri. & Sat. show, while the Snowbirds are doing Sat. & Sun.

Comment

One thing I don't understand....

Shortly after the tragedy in Germany involving Frecci Tricolori, Airshow rules were established or reaffirmed that airshow performers could not fly directly towards or over the spectator bleachers, yet I see this done on a consistant basis by the Angels, T-birds, etc....

Did this rule only apply in Europe? Was it applied in the states, but loosened up over the years?

P.S....I still have my video tape from that 1986 Moffett appearance, though the video quality is showing it's age from time and wear. Here's a scan of the box front/side/back:

(I think the company is no longer in business, and the scans are low-quality, so I hope displaying them here is OK. If they have to be removed, then the scans can be seen using the following links):

Moffett 1986 - front/side covers

Moffett 1986 - back cover
                          Attached Files

Comment

I saw Frecci Tricolori at the Abbottsford International airshow in '86 as well as the Brazilian team (turbo props are cool). I agree, the Snowbirds are all about finneese. I'd like to see all the national aerobatic teams at one show. That would be cool.

Will

Comment

I was involved in the airshow business with a BD-5J in the mid 1980s when the "enegry towards the crowd" issue came up after the Frecce Tricollori accident. In fact that team performed at Oshosh earlier that year or maybe the previous year and the manuever that resulted in the crash was not performed as it did not meet FAA requirements. (This is before the Feds banned jet aerobatics at Osh due to the inability to conform to the 1500 foot crowdline with the new buildings on the east side of runway 18-36. Think that's still ineffect. WWII warbirds only need a 1000 foot deadline and light aircraft 500 feet).

The Eagles had developed their often copied "swithblade" manuever with Charlie aiming the formation at the crowd while Gene and Tom rolled to knife edge before pulling into and across each other while Charlie pulled up. It was a no-brainer that a collision would put the wreckage in the crowd so the solution was to change the manuever to be done away from the crowd. When the Blue Angels adpoted their version of the manuever (two planes rolling 270 degrees before pulling into each other) they too changed the manuever to do it from behind the crowd so that any mistake would result in the wreckage going away from the crowd. Only the Thunderbirds refused to change, since they only roll 90 degrees before the cross, but if you remember the last time they were at Reno one plane banked about 110 degrees and busted the min altitude-had he crashed he would have taken out the static display area so I hope they learned their lesson.

There is no prohibition against flying over the crowd as long as the planes are not engaged in "aerobatic" flight, which generally means less than 60 degrees of bank and 30 degrees of pitch. And although the original switchblade maneuvers had the aerobatic portion perfomed before reaching the deadline, the energy was developed "towards the crowd", which is why ICAS voluntarily (and I think it is now an FAA requirement) banned any such manuevers.

This is dated info-maybe somebody has more current info.
                              Ron Henning

Comment

Working...
                              X