Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aviation Nation - Nellis AFB, Las Vegas Air Show Next Week!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aviation Nation - Nellis AFB, Las Vegas Air Show Next Week!!!

I just got an inspiring internal memo from World of Wings' and Bob Avery, I gleaned a small portion of it since it is an internal memo, and will post it below, along with the artwork of Joe Jones, the graphics man for last year and this year's show. I had to step on the image quite a lot to get it below the site limits for attachments but stop for a second and look at the detail he puts into his work. I know Joe and to say he's obsessive about this is an understatement.

Statement from World of Wings:

"This year Las Vegas and Nellis Air Force Base salute our D-Day Veterans on their 60th anniversary. "Operation Thank You" will pay tribute to every WWII veteran who served our country at a turning point in our history. This is America's largest official tribute to our D-Day Veterans in this benchmark year. Aviation Nation is also the homecoming show of our Air Force Thunderbirds. Presented by the men and women at Nellis Air Force Base and hosted by Las Vegas, Aviation Nation will be will be one of America's best air shows of 2004."

And the image, thumbnail format at the bottom of the page.. For more information:
    VISIT THE NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE - LAS VEGAS AIR SHOW - AVIATION NATION WEBSITE
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Aviation Nation - Nellis AFB, Las Vegas Air Show Next Week!!!

That's a great poster, thanks for sharing.

I was in Normandy last month with my wife; we spent a day visiting the towns and beaches and the American Cemetery, commemmorating the 60th anniversary of D-Day in our own, quiet way. I tell you, standing on Omaha Beach and looking up at the bluff with its decaying German gun emplacements sends a chill down the spine that doesn't go away. While we were there an unseen plane droned by in the clouds offshore, a heavy, multi-engine prop plane with round engines, by the sound of it. I still get goosebumps, just thinking about it.
    SteveZ

Comment

Originally posted by Kilo Hotel
      That's a great poster, thanks for sharing. ---<snip>--- While we were there an unseen plane droned by in the clouds offshore, a heavy, multi-engine prop plane with round engines, by the sound of it. I still get goosebumps, just thinking about it.
      Wow, it's amazing how those moments can happen! When I went to Jim Wright's service down south in Oregon, the bagpipes were playing a song and we were all looking up and above us, a large bird was flying around in a circle watching us.... I can tell you, there was not a dry eye in the entire crowd. It was simply amazing and maybe just too special to be a coincidence!

The poster is, indeed, special! Joe is a detail freak and it's accurate down to the amount of rivets per panel. He has a "secret" advantage. He creates these images in a 3D program and once saved, he can re use them again and again with minor skin changes to the plane to create a huge amount of them. He can also animate them, turn them, all sides are created... that, in itself, is amazing!

He'll be at Nellis, is a real regular guy and a pleasure for all to meet... now, if I can just get him to give up those Camel filters! (my old brand) we can enjoy his talents for many many years to come!

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Joe is very passionate in his work and it shows. If you all are at Nellis be sure to pick up the Aviation Nation collector's magazine. I wrote a profile on Joe and there's other samples of his beautiful artwork in the magazine.
        Wayne, see ya Thursday, my friend!
        Connie

Comment

Working...
        X