Picture Of The Week - Which Mustang?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picture Of The Week - Which Mustang?

First, I'd like to welcome this week's phtographer, Arnold Greenwell to the aafo "contributor list".

I just uploaded a new POTW <sound of murmers from the crowd "it's about time!"> in his notes to me about the photo, Arnold only describes it as "a Mustang" ..

So, this really opens up the "name that plane" question about the airplane. I'm not at all sure which one it is. It is likely from the middle to eastern portion of the country, it's immaculate and it has a checkered tail. I could not pull an N number from it even looking really close at the original largest file size I have..

I throw it to the experts! Name that plane

CLICK FOR LINK TO NEW POTW
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Picture Of The Week - Which Mustang?

<Looking at cover of latest "Warbird Digest" sitting on table...>

Hmmm, looks like N1451D/44-74446 to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
      <Looking at cover of latest "Warbird Digest" sitting on table...>

Hmmm, looks like N1451D/44-74446 to me.
      Hummn.. I found another shot of it taking off. Here's a crop at 100% from the original file. It's hard to tell but that N number looks pretty close to what I'm seeing here.. hard to tell..

Full veiw.. also shown...
      Attached Files
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I also have a nice takeoff shot from Oshkosh, but I can't read the N number either. I believe it was identified on the Mustangsmustangs.com sight. Don't have the time to look it up now though. I'm supposed to be working right now.

Here it is.
        P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership
        Last edited by T. Adams; 10-27-2004, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Here's another Midwestern Mustang to ID. One clue: photo was shot on 9/7/02.
          Attached Files
          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

That would be Tom Wood's 44-74878 N6306T. There is a much more famous shot of it floating around on the web, taken just after a gear up landing at the Quad Cities Airshow....

Comment

Originally posted by warbirdnerd
              That would be Tom Wood's 44-74878 N6306T. There is a much more famous shot of it floating around on the web, taken just after a gear up landing at the Quad Cities Airshow....
              Bingo! And here's another of Tom Wood's toys taken at the Gathering of Corsairs in 2002. His F-86 was there also. Peas
              Attached Files
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

In the background I spotted the Grumman C-1!

I worked on those when I was in the Navy. Love that old bird. Stationed at Alameda with VR-30 '73-76 and was an Aviation Electrician.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                  I just uploaded a new POTW <sound of murmers from the crowd "it's about time!">
                  POTM is OK, we understand........................................ .Paul

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
                    I also have a nice takeoff shot from Oshkosh, but I can't read the N number either. I believe it was identified on the Mustangsmustangs.com sight. Don't have the time to look it up now though. I'm supposed to be working right now.

Here it is.
                    http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51...44-74446.shtml
                    Tim, I think you're correct. I was sitting, err... where I read the most after I posted the pic and the question and noticed in the current issue of "Warbirds International" (by the publisher of Air Classics) there's a big feature on the airplane, with a beautiful two page fold out.

So, that was no mystery!

Guess I'll have to dig up something more challenging if I want to play this game

Wayne
                    PS by edit: Oh yea and this is also the airplane that was "parked" in a field several years back when fresh out of restoration, she was on the ferry flight to her owner and the guy flying, according to anything I've read about it, "flew it out of engine oil on takeoff" I've always wondered, how in the world you run a P-51 out of engine oil on take off, unless it was not oiled on the ground.

Anyone know that engine well enough to know how long it might run with no oil in it if it were fairly well oiled, at least once, after the initial run-in oil? I'm just very curious how running out of oil in that short of time, unless again there were none or there was a huge problem (leak) that should have been noticed by someone on the ground prior to take off, or during.. anyway.....
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Reminds me of a guy at work who ran up a Hydraulic Test Stand for an ops check and forgot to add engine oil....oops!...needless to say that after a god awful grinding noise the Detroit Diesel bought the farm! The guy has cross-trained into another career field...LOL

Comment

I have had a Merlin develop a hole while in flight. Before you can say "one potato", the oil pressure went to zero. Once on the ground, there was a big puddle underneath. Does that come close to running out of oil?
                        (PS: Unruly Julie was flown by a fairly inept pilot on that quoted occurance; did any one lynch the guy? FAA, mechanics, warbird affectionatoes, etc?)

Comment

Originally posted by vlado
                          I have had a Merlin develop a hole while in flight. Before you can say "one potato", the oil pressure went to zero. Once on the ground, there was a big puddle underneath. Does that come close to running out of oil?
                          (PS: Unruly Julie was flown by a fairly inept pilot on that quoted occurance; did any one lynch the guy? FAA, mechanics, warbird affectionatoes, etc?)
                          Vlado!! Good to see you here! I never heard in that case, whether or not the engine had oil or not to start, or developed a problem during/after takeoff.. Looked like the guy did a fairly stand up job of getting it down once he did have to do an off airport tho.. even with lack of ratings and such. I think, if you went down south, you'd find a pretty big bunch of pilots who had skill levels far above their formal/legal FAA ratings might indicate... not to say that's a good thing, just from hanging out with some "good ol' boys" a few times, I have heard things that indicate that at some areas, there's a bit more turning of the head by the FAA or, activties out of private strips that are not watched at all.. I also know of one aerobatic performance pilot (at least one) who taught himself completely how to fly his act prior to going and getting the formal training so that he could actually fly it legally. He was a show stopping favorite before he sold his airplane and quit flying shows.

Anyway, VERY good to see you here, you've got to be one of the high time Mustang pilots in this country now days and it's always good to hear your educated opinion on things. Would be good to see you slinking around the pylons again someday too!

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,
                            First, Godspeed and great health to you.
                            Try this link, http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...06X01125&key=1
                            Is this the incident you were referring to? What a shame, to say the least.

Comment

Sure glad to see it flying!
                              Warbirds International had a great article on it when it went down, not many good things to say about the pilot.
                              Lots of pictures of it sitting in a pile of cow stuff near Chino.

Leo
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X