DOES ANYONE KNOW...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOES ANYONE KNOW...

I've got an old 35mm Pentax SLR, that I need to dust off and start using again.
    One of my favorite subjects are the people of aviation, the problem being I'm not a fast shot, I'm usually spotted, and end up with nothing but people, flipping me off.

Years ago made what for all intent & purpose LOOKED like a normal, short tellaphoto lense, when in actuallity the end was an angled mirror, shooting at 90 degrees to point of lense.Of coarse you had to careful of what it looked like you were shooting, but you could get some great candid shots.

Does any one know the manufacturor, and if it's still available.?

-------------------------------------------------thanks, Paul

Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW...

Paul,

another way to get them is to hang around the guys you're shooting and, with a digital, (which you don't have) you just take so many pictures that they eventually ignore you, or, in the case of a film camera, maybe try it without film for a while, then "reload" and go at it for real.

Yet another way is to get a really long lens and stay far enough away so that they don't notice you and shoot when nobody is in the way.

I like the first method because you can get some nice fill flash shots, but it does take a lot of time, sometimes, days. I got to where I was invisible back when I hung with the MAII guys, and now with the Rare Bear guys.. most of the time, I can get them to ignore me and go about doing what they do. I frequently do mention, however, that if they are bothered by the flash, to throw a wrench at me or something... so far, no bruses or dents in the hardware..

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

THREAD DRIFTING, AGAIN-

I used to hate when photographers would hang around, and even worst, TV crews. I'd find an excuse to be under the airplane, or go to bathroom...Then one day I got caught while glueing Daves landing gear back on, (bad year). This very nice European gentleman, asked to take a few pictures, and ask a few questions, if I didn't mind. It was going to take a while for the resin to set, so I said "sure". He's english was not perfect and had a few questions on the "formula" concept, the variations in design, can just anyone start racing?..............It was a pleasant conversation, that lasted about 20 minutes, we parted politely and I thought nothing more of it. The next day, he tracked me down just to thank me for my time, explained he had a broader appreciation of what goes on at races, and would probably attend more of the "little" races they have in Europe. I was surprised and pleased, then realized, DAMN I'm an ambassador, a few minutes, and I may have just broadened our fan base.
      I was very impressed by one of the gentleman with the Pond Racer
      team. They had just had a fire and quickly rolled the airplane into a hanger to access the damage, and slammed the door on the approaching masses. I heard part of the insuing discussion, explaining that those people had all paid decent money to be in the pitts, to see the action and understand what was going on, and to close a door in their faces, was just rude. The door was opened, roped off coarse, and someone stood at the door to answer questions, while the crew worked...... CLASS MOVE.
      Those people, (CUSTOMERS), intrusive as they may be at times are why we have races/fan bases/sponsers & prize money.
      One guy who I had pegged as a "lookie-loo", showed up with an airplane, a few years later. Ya never can tell.
      So for you fellow crew, SMILE FOR THE CAMERA.... .....Paul

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
        Paul,

Another way to get them is to hang around the guys you're shooting and, with a digital, (which you don't have) you just take so many pictures that they eventually ignore you, or, in the case of a film camera, maybe try it without film for a while, then "reload" and go at it for real.
        Yet another way is to get a really long lens and stay far enough away so that they don't notice you and shoot when nobody is in the way.
        Wayne
        I'm 6'1" and 275 lbs with full beard I always get noticed, any way
        my main problem is time, crew duties usually occupy most of my time, so hanging-out is not an option. a telephoto would be logical choice, but I'd rather not spend the bucks, till I see were the digital format is going. I've bought "button" lenses for detective work, but the resolution is pretty low grade. The 90deg lenses is my number one choice, (and it should fit the digital slr's), but just need to find one.
        ......................................surfing on .................................Paul

Comment

So if you shoot your subject at 90 deg. through a mirror... would that make the image in the picture be opticly correct?

please forgive... I like being a smart ass some times.

I have shot many a subject, but never through a mirror and never at a 90 deg angle. seems like an interesting way to make some cool optical illusion shots.

get one of those bubble mirroes for an RV and a fish eye lens....lol

I might have to play around with this interesting perspective of photography.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee
            So if you shoot your subject at 90 deg. through a mirror... would that make the image in the picture be opticly correct?
            I'm thinking, if I shoot slides, I'd just reverse the image. Correct me if I'm missing something here.
            The only problem I see, is to NOT look like I'm shooting some guys wife. I'd rather not have a 90 deg. colonoscopy.
            I may have to break down and buy a good telephoto, anyway. The one I have now is a cheapee, and hazes the shot at any kind of distance.
            If I get something I can use on a digital rig, it won't be so bad, but I just
            hate when they keep changing technologies on me.
            Want to buy a good 8-track, Beta-max, CB radio, Walkman... ..Paul

Comment

Tyson-
              Thanks for the brand names, tried a few of the camera shops & just get the RCA dog, look.
              I've e-mailed KEH and am waiting for there response.
              *For the record, I'm not a pervert. I was in the buisness of selling police supplies, and ended up finding it originally, listed as covert/surviellance gear.
              GOTTA LOVE the combined knowledge available on this site.
              .......................................thanks, Paul

Comment

Last edited by Apteryx; 11-07-2004, 10:41 PM. Reason: SOMETHING HICCUPED

Comment

You watch, Tyson will be sporting one of those puppies next time we see him.. that or, some sort of right angle box for his signature BIG lense...

Fellow Prevert...
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by tvrphoto
                    lol...I started to write about the uses of the lens and figured, hmmm...I think he's gonna take this wrong!
                    No insinuations intended. I'd be curious to know if you are able to find one of these.
                    Pervert,
                    Tyson
                    Tyson-
                    Thanks, again.
                    Perhaps I overstated, at least I wouldn't be using THIS lense for anything perverted. (Having sold surveillance gear, I could come up MUCH better stuff, for that).
                    I figure the optical quality is not going to be the greatest, so I was hoping to find a used one to play with, for a while.
                    I shouldn't of thrown away all the photo's I had of crew, flipping me off. I could have come out with a book :"The bird-men of Reno"......
                    .............Just plane perverted............ .................paul
                    P.S. excuse the double post, something hiccup'd half way through..think Wayne stepped on me .

Comment

WHILE YOU GUYS ARE OUT THERE, KNOW OF ANYTHING REASONABLY PRICED FOR TURNING SLIDES INTO JPEG'S.
                      HP'S GOT A SLIDE/NEGATIVE PROJECTOR BUILT INTO THE LID OF ALMOST THE EXACT SAME COPY/SCAN/FAX MACHINE I JUST BOUGHT FOR $300. (WHICH OF COARSE NOW SELLS FOR $99.) ...AARRGGHH..
                      ...................................THANKS, PAUL

Comment

Paul,

I've got an old HP photosmart transparancy scanner. They did not do a great job of it but it was acceptable. Seemed that if a slide/neg was the least bit soft, the HP would make it all the more soft.. but then I never checked that against a higher end unit..

I don't know if they still make them but they sold a bundle of them, there might be a few here and there for sale used. Neal (Wingman) had one that I sent up there a bunch of years ago that I don't believe he uses any more. It was a SCSI drive model, and the old SCSI card that came with it uses the old style slot that computers no longer come with.. ISA, that's the name I couldn't remember.. however, for about 15 bucks, you can get a PCI SCSI adaptor and they work just fine, if not better than with the HP ISA card that came with them.

You might hit him up and see if he would sell it to you for cheaps..

Again, they were not the best unit out there but adequate. I rarely use mine but have to keep it for those times when I need it (rare but they happen) Or I'd offer it up for a song.. Neal has a really good higher end unit now so if his is still working, he should not need it..

Also, Cobra may have his old HP still growing dust bunnies somewhere.. He was the first of us to be smart enough to get a transparancy scanner way back when and the difference between a scanned print and transparancy is marked, even if with the "cheap" (not so when they first came out!) HP..

Wayne
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                          Also, Cobra may have his old HP still growing dust bunnies somewhere.. He was the first of us to be smart enough to get a transparancy scanner way back when and the difference between a scanned print and transparancy is marked, even if with the "cheap" (not so when they first came out!) HP..
                          Sad to say, I don't know where that bloody thing is...
                          The wife unit decided it was time to clean my office, and I haven't seen it since.
                          Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra
                            Sad to say, I don't know where that bloody thing is...
                            The wife unit decided it was time to clean my office, and I haven't seen it since.
                            Ohhhhh..... don't ya hate it when that happens!

Hummn well there are a few on Ebay (CLICKHERE) a couple even seem worth consideration. Beware of any that state that they require repair, even if they are only 10 bucks or so, likely, a waste of the ten spot because I don't think HP will repair them anymore.

If you could find one in good working order that had not been used too much, I'd think up to $100. would be a decent price, tending to lower than that due to the difficulty in repairs if necessary.

I've seen one worn out due to excessive use (not mine) and mine, which I did not use much and only seems sensitive to dust inside it, which will cause a variety of problems.

I believe that Griffon Girl bought a new slide scanner (brand unknown) for about $100.

Wayne
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Might be old news by now...but ebay has the lens!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X