BOOKS & MOVIES.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOOKS & MOVIES.....

Being fairly new to this forum, have you ever asked for members recomendations on (even old) books & movies.

Movie-wise: there are some great movies and outstanding flying sequences, wasted in mediocre movies, (that if you've got a good slow-mo feature, are worth the price of the movie).
    -Flight of the Phoenix, (Jimmie Stewart), of coarse.
    -MAD-MAD WORLD comes to mind, imagine flying through that billboard.
    -Birds of Prey, helicopter chase movie, with David Jennsen (long version) has some of James Gavin's, (helicopter "movie" pilot's), best work.
    -Warlover (Steve McQueen), great buzz job

-Books: Chickenhawk (Robert Mason), thankfully I just missed Viet Nam but following Roberts transformation into a helicopter pilot, gives me a felling of what it probably would have been like....

LOVE TO KEEP THIS ROLLING........................................... .Paul

Re: BOOKS & MOVIES.....

Paul, I second "ChickenHawk" GREAT book! I read it several times and have a well worn copy somewhere in storage. I also read his sequel to it... not nearly as interesting but interesting to see where he wound up.

Movie you did not mention but absolute classic.. "1941" Ackroid & Belushi <sp?> Robert stack, Treat Williams (as Sgt. or Lt. obsessed with the pretty blondie)

I'm also very fond of "Caddyshack" though it's not aviation related.

Good thread!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: BOOKS &amp; MOVIES.....

I third Chickenhawk, great book.

Two aviation movies that I find myself watching whenever they are on the History Channel or AMC are "The Tuskegee Airmen" and "The Bridges of To Ko Ri." I also have a well worn video of "The Memphis Belle".

Another lesser known aviation related movie that I enjoyed was called "Cloud Dancer" (?) with David Carradine (?). It is about the two aerobatic competition pilots that get involved with flying drugs over the border. Very menacing P-51 that tries to force them down over the desert. I think I got the name right, been awhile since I last saw it.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rpzo
        Another lesser known aviation related movie that I enjoyed was called "Cloud Dancer" (?) with David Carradine (?). It is about the two aerobatic competition pilots that get involved with flying drugs over the border. Very menacing P-51 that tries to force them down over the desert. I think I got the name right, been awhile since I last saw it
        Our friend Jimmy Leeward flew his airplane in that movie and, I *think* that's where he got the name for her.

It remains one that I've not seen and, since I subscribe to "NetFlix" I'm gonna go there right now and see if I can find it!

If you are a movie watcher, NetFlix is awesome. They have nearly every movie ever produced it seems. I've found obscure titles that I've never seen in video stores and have asked about only to get blank stares.. one of which is "Buckaroo Banzi" .. if you like offbeat humor, you'll like this one..

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hey Wayne, If you can't find it on NetFlix I've got a third generation copy of Cloud Dancer in a box somewhere that I could send to you. The problem is that you would have to watch through a video of the Blue Angels flying F-4's, Thunderbirds flying F-4's, F-15's based out of Bitburg Germany in mock dogfights, a friend of mine flying a glider over the Air Force Academy, as well as a few other odds and ends before you got to the movie.

Rick

Comment

Hey Wayne, If you can't find it on NetFlix I've got a third generation copy of Cloud Dancer in a box somewhere that I could send to you. The problem is that you would have to watch through a video of the Blue Angels flying F-4's, Thunderbirds flying F-4's, F-15's based out of Bitburg Germany in mock dogfights, a friend of mine flying a glider over the Air Force Academy, as well as a few other odds and ends before you got to the movie.

Rick
            Rick, much to my disappointment, NetFlix does not have the movie listed! And that, after my having given them a free plug too boot!

It's a pretty old "Made for TV" flick I think so that'd probably be why..

I'd love to see the copy you have.. do you need me to send you a blank tape for copying? I wonder if Jimmy has any old copies of it lying around?

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hmmm, finding 2 VCR's to do the copies could be a problem. Lemme see what I can work out.

Comment

[QUOTE=rpzo]"The Bridges of Toko Ri" & "Cloud Dancer"
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sidebar(s):

Rick-

There's a segment from ( ) show, that details the making of To Ko Ri, well worth watching.... The bridge attack sequences, were actually shot with leaded scale aircraft, over a big model board. Had me fooled the first time I saw it. In the days horribly disproportionate movies like Godzilla, it change the standards for movie modeling.

Second, Cloud Dancer had a REAL low budget, they wanted the star pilot to have a unique leather flight suite, but could only afford to have ONE made, so they selected the REAL pilot by approximating Carradine's size. I believe it was Gene Soucy that (won) that distinktion. Anyway,
                Carradine was going through his hippie phase, (Grasshopper no bathe),
                and were they were shooting, was hot.........
                Imagine slipping into somebody elses , hot, sweaty leathers........
                So Gene,(correct if I'm wrong here), went WAY above & beyond...
                The things people do for aviation that often go unrewarded.
                SALUTE......................
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Paul

Comment

Hmmm, finding 2 VCR's to do the copies could be a problem. Lemme see what I can work out.
                  Yep, I always have that problem when I want to run off a copy of a tape. Someday, computers will be able to accept a normal TV output, record it and put it on DVD...

I'm laughing at myself, because I spent as much on the video card for this computer as many people spend on their entire computer and it has all that video crap built in, if I ever took the time to hook it up properly, I should be able to do just what I described above..

Bout the time I need to replace the card, I'll feel really bad because I spent so much money... till then, I'm sitting here thinking about all my Hi8 mm tapes from the races...hummn... I would have to dig back, find the tapes, then I could tell you what year but, I think, '88 or so.. I was pretty much taping all the unlmited races from the stands from start to finish. I also spent a lot of time walking around the pits doing video stuff.. It's all pretty HQ with the Hi8 but I bet I've only watched one or two of them..

If that..

Anyway... if you find a way to copy it or trust me to send it back.. lemme know, I'll spring for the postage..

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm sure few people have seen this, but "Threshold - The Blue Angels Experience" is 93 minutes of awesome action from 1975. It was filmed in 1970. This was when they were flying the F-4's. It is really something. I have a VHS copy bought at the EAA museum many years ago at Oshkosh. A quick check on the imdb.com shows that it is not available in any form now. There was a edited 30min version called "Winter Training", but the full version is just a classic.

Also always a classic, but not with a lot of action is 12 O'Clock High.

By the way there are 5 used copies of Cloud Dancer on Amazon.com.

Comment

Threshold - The Blue Angels Experience
                      That's on this tape I have too! Awesome stuff. Another one of the titles is "Once Upon a Thunderbird" which is the T-birds in their F-4's. It's been awhile since I watched either but I have a feeling I may be making a pan of popcorn and staying up late tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
                        Also always a classic, but not with a lot of action is 12 O'Clock High.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        I don't think Gregory Peck has made a BAD movie, really FELT his pain of sending (boys/men) off to die.
                        I loved him in Horatio Hornblower,too, (great sea flick, bye the way. Showing things like trying to repair the ship while still engaged in battle, so they're not sitting ducks, don't see that in other similar movies).
                        Ditto-Threshold, loved when the solo giggles, inverted at the top of a loop, and goes HMPH, "got down to 45 knots on that one..."
                        Always admired and strived for the focus and crispness of the formation calls, but I'd usually get 1-GO,2-GO,3-GO,4----------oooohhhh......aaaahhhhhhh......yeah...........I mean-GO.....I guess...........(Don't fly formation with people with A.D.D.)
                        .................................................. ...................Paul
                        Last edited by Apteryx; 10-22-2004, 09:36 PM.

Comment

As for books, I highly recommend any of the books about the 8th Air Force in WWII by Roger Freeman. There are three that I have read. "The Phantom Story" by Anthony Thornborough is also excellent.

OT - but I have to also recommend "When Pride Still Mattered", Vince Lombardi's biography

Comment

continuing....
                            Books: I've got a warm spot for Richard Bach's work. Anything actually
                            written by Tom Clancey. Martain Caidens "Fork Tailed Devils". "Flight
                            of the Intruder". Of coarse Ernst Gahn....
                            I've received a collection of Antionne de St. Exbury, (hope I got that right), recomended to me, but haven't got around to them yet.
                            "Black Sheep" Boyington and one his squadron's guys: "They Once
                            Were Eagles". The womans perspective of WWII flying in "Silver
                            Wings and Santiago Blue". Had one of our more seasoned pilots,
                            strongly recomend "Sagitarius Rising" but it's way out of print & haven't found a copy, yet...

Movies: I neglected "Airplane" earlier, (even funnier for those familiar with the genre of films, it's parodying, (God Is My Co-pilot....)
                            "The Aviator" has some beautiful sequences
                            "Fate is the Hunter", good story, personally didn't like the casting
                            "Blue Thunder"
                            a little obscure: John Carpenters first VERY low budget "Dark Star"
                            (one of the space suites is a Rug-Doctor, with a muffin tin on the chest,
                            ship controls are from a Pinto. The alien is a beach-ball, but it's probably the best representation of what long term space flight would REALLY be like, everyone's going a little nuts. Philisophical discussion with a sentiant bomb, make it a (cult) classic.

T.V. for us old farts: "Sky King", "Whirley Birds", come on Wayne, help out here.
                            Got Most of my stuff in storage right now, doing this from memory, more to follow...........................................P aul

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
                              T.V. for us old farts: "Sky King", "Whirley Birds", come on Wayne, help out here.
                              Oh man... I remember that chopper show being my absolute favorite! Once when I lived in Fallon (long time ago) my family actually my mom and my sisters, went to the rodeo and they had one selling rides.. we couldn't afford a ride for both of us, and my dad hated flying. The guy giving the rides said he'd fit me in for free in the middle if I wanted to go.. I was too scared (only about 5 yrs maybe 4 old) to go without my dad so we just sat there in our car and watched for hours.. The Bell 47 is still a very neat machine... all framework and a bubble, that's about it.

I've got a ton of great aviation books that I'd dig through and give recommendations but they too are in storage.

Wonder if any of the old Whirly Birds series episodes were put on any sort of media that any survive today? Would be neat to see just how "bad" it was... As I recall, the two main stars were kind of a for hire service but each week, something bad happened that only their -47 could save the day... cool stuff!

Wayne
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X