What happened to PPPP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to PPPP?

What ever happened to the video called People Pistons Pylons and Power or whatever it was?
    Jarrod

Re: What happened to PPPP?

Originally posted by jarrodeu
    What ever happened to the video called People Pistons Pylons and Power or whatever it was?
    Jarrod
    It aired on "The Speed Channel" in August of 2001, just prior to Reno 2001. I think there were something like 10 or 15 airings. The orignal PPPP that we taped at Reno 2000 was to be a one hour pilot for a proposed half hour (or maybe an hour) show that would be produced by World of Wings and created by Lee Productions of Austin TX...

It would have had Mitch Carley as the host and had various guest spots profiling different airplanes, race teams, events, etc..

All of us involved with the production had high hopes that it would go into a full time gig with 20+ shows a year produced.. road time, interesting projects... etc..

As with a lot of productions, didn't happen..

Unfortunately, the agreement with the Reno Air Race Association was only for "broadcast rights" which makes it impossible to sell video tapes of the production..

So, some people saw it and taped it, some of us both did that and have the initial "production" copies that WoW provided us with..

Most of us never even saw it..

I had my minute and a half or so of fame (Thanks to Jeff Lee and Mitch Carley!) and we recorded a pretty neat feature with some great interviews with the pilots involved and some neat video..

That's pretty much the long version of it..

Jeff?? Care to add more???

Wayne aka: "OneTakeWayne" Saager

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Nothing on the web about"PEOPLE PISTONS PYLONS & POWER", but I found several pages under "PEOPLE PASSION PISTONS & POWER", So I assume that's the one mentioned here. I've never seen it before myself.

This AAFO multi-media page came up first. The preview video clips seem to be still active (i'm downloading one now as I write this):

Video and audio in Real Player format of the Reno Air Races and the airplanes and pilots. Interviews sound bytes engine start audio. Digital audio collection from Reno 2000-

-------------------------------------------------------------

An INSIDEAIRRACING.COM page, with text by our gracious host:

A similar YAHOO BROADCAST page had clips from it it too, but the links have died:

There are several more related web pages, easily found if you do a search for "PEOPLE PASSION PISTONS & POWER" (include the quotes for best results).

P.S.....Just watched the 56k clip...Good stuff! I'm going to download a larger version now (runs off to do some downloading...)

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
        Nothing on the web about"PEOPLE PISTONS PYLONS & POWER", but I found several pages under "PEOPLE PASSION PISTONS & POWER", So I assume that's the one mentioned here <snip> P.S.....Just watched the first clip...Good stuff!
        That'd be the one..

Jeff Lee did a fantastic job with the taping, directing and post production with the show! The opening scene for the Sunday Gold segment still gives me chills thinking about it.... Dramatic music and cuts in a sunrise background with airplanes in foreground thing.. cuts to the room of hard benches and the pilot briefings.. good stuff.

I wish I could offer the tape here but I'd get into HUGE problems by being in violation of the release rights of the show.. Not to be distributed in video tape means, it airs, and then dies...

Hummn... mebbie we'll have to figure out a way to bring the copy to Reno for Air Race Addicts camp... that is, if they have a generator, TV and VCR out there??

Wayne
        PS.. and of course, I really regret that we can't distribute it, because I was the "co-host," the guy "on top of the trailer" with the "and here's Dave deVos to give us a word about the weather out on the course"....

<begin inside joke>
        "Thanks Wayne" ))))))

Since the show was taped in segments, Dave was out at Pylon 8 taping the hand off segment, where I'd said some "here's Dave" line from the top of the trailer, but I was out there as well on my "day off" from shooting... All of the judges kept saying to Dave... "THANKS WAYNE" which he'd apparantly taped several times But the real hoot out there thata day was when one of the pylon judges did something with his shirt while Dave was taping yet another "Thanks Wayne" segment and Dave's response to him was just priceless.... anyway.. if BYP (akaDave) jumps in on this, I'll let him finish the story.. it was one of "those" moments..
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Ah, yes...something about sheep, petroleum jelly and pylon 8 scum...

My favorite memory from that shoot was trying to get in a take as the T-6 race was blasting by 8 on lap 1. We couldn't hear ourselves think, let alone get in a good take...

Those were the days...

Comment

See what happens when I don't check in EVERYDAY! Sorry, I've been slammed (finally) with getting ready for Nellis and my other local editing clients.

Yes, I wish that show could have gone on. I love doing series television, and if I could marry that together with aviation, who could ask for anything more. That was a great "Baptism" into the world of air racing. It was my first trip out there, and we got right in the middle of it, and I haven't missed since.

That show is something that we're all extremely proud of. It won several awards, and it's still fun to watch. For me, it was more than just seeing the races. It was more about who these people are, and why would they do something like this.

There are no active plans to bring that back, but EVERYONE that was on our crew keeps it in the back of our minds, and I know I have at least a dozen shows concepted and ready to be written, shot, and edited. As I've said before, if anyone wins the lottery and wants to get in the aviation TV biz, call me.

Wayne's right, we can't distribute that show because of the restrictions surrounding the event and production. If our paths ever cross, ask me about it, and we'll see what we can do. No promises.

Thanks for bringing it up. It's always fun to remember what a great time we had. And yes, David and Mitch, I do mean even that LATE night in Austin when we did the final edit right before the ice storm!

See ya in Vegas Baby!!!

Jeff

Comment

Jeff - where are you gonna be? Let's hook up at Nellis.

Dave

Comment

Dave,

E-mail me!

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, Dave, what day are you coming out?

Jeff: Unless you get own car, I'll likely be your transport... *if* you do get own car, need to talk with you about a "base" to "stash" most of my stuff during the day. I will not have the endurance to carry it all with me this year and *if* you have a secure base of ops, I'd reeaaallllly appreciate being able to stick a smallish backpack in with you at times..

Looking forward to seeing both you guys there, It's been too long!

Dave: Wife and kids with? Would LOVE to finally meet the rest of the BYP clan!

Wayne
                  PS.. both you guys email me so we can all exchange cell numbers OK?!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne -

What's your email? I've sent you a couple and haven't heard back.

I'm davedevos@charter.net

email me dude! (still need to update the BYP email forward)

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar

Hummn... mebbie we'll have to figure out a way to bring the copy to Reno for Air Race Addicts camp... that is, if they have a generator, TV and VCR out there??

Wayne..
                      Oh Yeah Baby! WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY! BRING THE TAPE AND THEY WILL COME! HAH! We usually have the multi media ability in one or more forms. Let me know next fall if you want to have an airing. Put this on your to be reviewed prior to Reno Calendar.
                      Bill (aka: Air Race Addict)

PS: Sorry I missed this earlier, been busy as usual and must have missed it while speed reading. Plus, as Brad will attest, I am OLD and forget stuff sometimes.
                      ME! PLEASE!
                      Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Yeah....he's like OVER 40!

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                          Yeah....he's like OVER 40!
                          Bah... 40... just a kid, a mere kid I tell ya!

But answering the message, sure, I'll bring the tape and we can have an airing..!

I can hear the mocking "Thanks Wayne" cat calls now

This could be fun! I've got a pretty thick skin, and would fully expect many vicious insults thrown my way! I will have to see if we could get Dave, Mitch and Jeff all to come along, it would likely be great fun... Ahh... what would even be MORE fun is if Jeff could get the outtakes together for us! I've never seen them but I know there were some goodies!

Let's make it a date!

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

NO OUTTAKES!! NO OUTTAKES!! PLEEEEZE!!!!

Dave

Comment

Bah... 40... just a kid, a mere kid I tell ya!
                              49 to be exact. Not as old as you YET! HAH!
                              But answering the message, sure, I'll bring the tape and we can have an airing..!
                              Cool. I will make sure we are set up for it. Easiest would be in a VHS format.
                              Let's make it a date!
                              Okay. You're on. Have fun in Las Vegas.

Bill (aka:Air Race Addict)
                              Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Working...
                              X