Baghdad Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baghdad Fury

Looking for any information, and pictures of N21SF or race 21, also interested in its Iraqi serial number. A\C serial number is 37514.
    thanks in advance
    Mark M

Re: Baghdad Fury

Mark,

If you contact Sanders Aircraft Restoration they are the foremost experts this side of the Atlantic Ocean. There is a good chance they know the history of nearly every Sea Fury since they probably have had there hand on every Sea Fury owned in this country. Their number is 209-274-2965 and Dennis or Brian should be able to answer your question. Hope this helps.

dave

Comment

Hi MarkM.

The plane Iraqie serial is 250 this was one of the 35 Seafurys that David Tallichet and Ed Jurist brought out of Iraq in 1978-79.

Cheers Rob R.

Comment

MARKM,

I posted a picture of N21SF

in the thread http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=1322

The photo was taken in the late 80's in Stockton CA when the plane was owned by Russ Francis.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by MARKM
          Looking for any information, and pictures of N21SF or race 21, also interested in its Iraqi serial number. A\C serial number is 37514.
          thanks in advance
          Mark M
          Researching my files I see NO Baghdad Fury Race 21 entered as a Sea Fury from 1978 (Race 21 was first Niel Anderson's T-28 in '90, then the Pond Racer in '91, and now it's Joe Thibodeau's Sea Fury (raced by Nelson Ezell - NX254SF - in 2000... and raced in '02 & '03 by Joe as Sea Fury) or his P51 Crusader - '96, '97, & 2004).

Now there was a Bagdad Express, but that was Guido Zuccoli's Race #308 Military IAF308 c/n 37729 registered in '79 as N54SF, re-registered in '83 as VH-HFG.

NOW - if you are looking specifically at serial number... then we have more of a match (except for the name and new n-number of course)

N-number : N254SF
          Aircraft Serial Number : 37514
          Aircraft Manufacturer : HILLARD CHARLIE R
          Model : HAWKER FB60
          Engine Manufacturer : AMA/EXPR
          Model : UNKNOWN ENG
          Aircraft Year : 1956
          Owner Name : THIBODEAU JOE
          Owner Address : C/O 155 S MADISON STE 209
          DENVER, CO, 80209
          Type of Owner : Individual
          Registration Date : 11-Oct-2000
          Airworthiness Certificate Type : Experimental
          Approved Operations : Exhibition

Anywayz - Rick posted the pic, but your best contact for the old info would be Joe Thibodeau, who is the current owner. BTW: I could find no info on the Iraqi serial number - sorry, but I think that one may be lost to history.

For further info, the aircraft Bu 37514 was flown & owned by Charlie Hilliard - and raced in the Phoenix 500 air races back in 1996.
          Attached Files
          Mark K....

Comment

I AM THE CURRENT OWNER OF SEA FURY N21SF I AM BASED IN PORT ELIZABETH SOUTH AFRICA THE A/C WAS IMPORTED FROM USA IN 2001 MY E-MAIL IS stu@stu.co.za

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
              I AM THE CURRENT OWNER OF SEA FURY N21SF I AM BASED IN PORT ELIZABETH SOUTH AFRICA THE A/C WAS IMPORTED FROM USA IN 2001 MY E-MAIL IS stu@stu.co.za
              WoW, I'm impressed with the reach of this message series! Hello to you sir from South Africa! Do you have any pictures of the airplane in its current setting? If you join the board (pretty easy to do) it will let you upload some pretty large pictures.

Welcome
              Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Speaking of Baghdad Furies..........

In the December 04 issue of Flight Journal, there is a little blurb in the FLYBYS, (news section) about three more Sea Furies being found when the British captured Shaibah in Iraq. Pretty interesting with a short history of the "Baghdad Furies". Anyways, 1 ea T.20 trainer and two single seaters, (not sure of the Mk.) Just thought this was interesting, not only for the general Warbird Lover, but for the fact that this string started about the same time I got this issue. Not sure if there is anything on the web about these three, but I will check into it.
                Cheers,
                Bill (aka: Air Race Addict)
                Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

I have a few photos of this bird taken at Sun N Fun shortly before Charlie's fatal crash. If anyone wants a copy, I can be reached at skunkwks@gmail.com.
                  Thanks
                  Barry Helms.

Comment

Working...
                  X