Red Bull show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bull show

I've been wondering since returning home from Reno, whether anyone else was as underwhelmed as I was at the Red Bull show. I have been to Reno for 10 years now and have enjoyed every aspect of it, until this year.
    Of the 5 of us that came (3 retired AF FACs, 2 longtime fans), none of us were interested enough to watch after Wednesday's round.
    In the spirit of fairness, I went past the Red Bull quonset during Saturday's and Sunday's racing and the people inside did not seem at all interested in any racing. I think MTV was on their HD flat screens.

I'm planning on writing RARA and NAG to plead to bring back some of the premier events like the Thunderbirds, Blues, or Snowbirds.

I realize this competition is just something different and organizers have to try different ideas, but this one was a yawn.

This is my first post here, after lurking for many months. Please be kind, I'm not trolling!

PS. Did anyone else notice that Howard Pardue wearing a Strega jacket on with his name? Anyone shed any light on that?

Re: Red Bull show

I didnt mind the red bull race i think keeping that Add the thunder birds/blue angels whould be cool. It whould make a longer day at the reces

www.renosection3.com

Comment

I agree with MR. whoadude
      Pretty boaring I thought. I think it was just an advertising show.
      Jarrod

Comment

Sorry guys,
        I have to disagree. I think the Red Bull folks (on the field) really had their act together. It was amazing how fast they set up for each day's demo race and just as quickly took it down. They even changed a damaged pylon in about 5 minutes flat. Multi camera angles and editing in real time....RARA could learn a thing or two from these guys.

My perspective may be a bit different as I have flown the Extra 300 and have a great appreciation for the precision required to navigate such a course. I've also been attending the air races for many years and thought this was a refreshing change. Don't get me wrong, I really missed having one of the major jet demo teams there this year but I'd like to see the Red Bull program grow into a touring event in the U.S. and cap it off with the finals in Reno each September. I agree that the PR tent was pretty boring but not the flying. What I really miss are the days of Hoover's and Lefty's solo demos. I digress. The Red Bull people should have had the pilots camped out in the PR tent as much as possible, signing autographs and promoting the event.
        Sky Critter

Comment

I disagree as well, I thought the red bull event was a fast paced exciting change. Those demo teams however are the biggest yawn fest in the world. Hey look 6 f-16's, wow................there they are again.........yawn.

Comment

I am surprised they had no fly-by's. Usually you would see a B-52, B-1, F-117 do a few passes. I would love to see another Apache Demo. Haven't seen one of them in quite a long time.

Comment

I suspect most of the unique surprise fly-bys we got in the past, such as the SR-71, B-2, etc were done while the aircraft was on a training mission, and made the passes while returning home. It's possible that there were nos such missions going on in the vicinity that week...hard to say.

I miss seeing the C-5's making passes and belching dozens of parachutists in front of the stands....I use to enjoy those visits in the 80's......It would also be nice to once again see a C-130 or F-16 do a lap on the unlimited course (something else I have seen before in days past).

As far as red bull, the event wasn't too bad (if they had more planes, it might have grown boring), but I could be happy with or without it......Yes, they did a great job of replacing the failed pylon so quickly, but then, how long does it take to fill a balloon? I think the RARA boys did a nice job pulling it all together and keeping this huge event running smoothly this year. I'm not sure there's anything the R.B. guys could teach them that would make much difference.

My only complaint was that one of the R-Bull announcers was a bit "over-enthusiastic" on the P.A....it was somewhat exciting at times to watch, but not nearly at the level he spoke at, as if this was the coolest thing ever seen by man! He sounded like he was really trying hard to get kids interested in it.

I'm not sure writing the RARA board about scheduling the T-birds or another team next year may be necessary. I don't think leaving them out in 2004 was intentional (my guess)....Those teams get so many requests for appearances that there's no way they can fullfill them all every year.

San Francisco is experiencing a similar situation this year, The Blue Angels are not going to be there for Fleet Week for a change. It's been a looooooong time since that has happened before....

Let's just hope that Reno gets picked for a visit by one (or more) of those teams next year.

Comment

T-Birds were on there PACAF Tour this Year for pretty much all of September. They return to the U.S. at Redding, CA on the 2nd Weekend of Oct.

Comment

I think the RARA boys did a nice job pulling it all together and keeping this huge event running smoothly this year. I'm not sure there's anything the R.B. guys could teach them that would make much difference.
                  AirDOGGE,
                  I agree that the RARA folks did a good job and ran a pretty smooth show. What I think they could learn from the RB guys is the real-time video on the big screens. They've done it in the past and I'm not sure why they stopped. I think it would be cool to have interviews from the pits and close-ups from the back side of the course on jumbo-trons where everyone could see them...similar to other pro sporting events.

Just a thought. I'll still go every year anyway!
                  Sky Critter

Comment

A live feed from cameras mounted on top of the pylons... now that would be sweet.

As for the Red Bull thing, I liked it. Yeah, it was geared more towards the MTV crowd but I think that it was something different. Something new. And if it can bring in people and maybe get them intrested in the other styles of air racing, I think it's a good thing.

Comment

I think that if 'this' is what it takes to open the door to get Red Bull into REAL air racing, then this was just fine.

I personally thought the show was kind of fun to watch. They were pulling some pretty tight g's there to keep their performance box tight.

But hey...maybe next year we can get the boys interested in running Dago, the Bear, and September Fury through the Red Bull course.

Comment

But hey...maybe next year we can get the boys interested in running Dago, the Bear, and September Fury through the Red Bull course.
                        \

Lol...I can just picture the 300-foot-tall balloon-pylons now

I would venture to guess that the Jumbotrons cost a pretty penny to rent, not including the cameramen, camera-heli, etc needed to provide media for them......We'll have to wait and see if Red Bull uses them again next year, or if they were just here for the event's debut.

It WOULD be nice to have some televised portions of the show, with TV monitors places around the concourse (as done in some music concert venues)....Gives me a chance to refill my beer cup without missing anything

Comment

As for the military fly-bys, don't forget, many of our US "assets" are deployed in theater. Support out troops! Peas
                          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Rgr Dodger!

Comment

Working...
                            X