PDA

View Full Version : Props & Spinners

rpzo
09-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Going with a theme here. Here's some of mine, feel free to add your own.

Rick

Stevo
09-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Here are the few that I got. Of course # 2 isn't a prop or a spinner but I had to inclued it anyway.

Victor Archer
09-27-2004, 11:18 PM
Here's a couple for you.

T. Adams
09-28-2004, 09:01 AM
1/50 second on the prop blurs. Nice job, master of the prop blur. :thumbsup:

HiredBitSlinger
09-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Here are some of mine.

Section3guy
09-28-2004, 01:53 PM
ok here are two of mine (remeber im new at the photos) but im proud of the voodoo one i was going to crop it closer but didnt want it to look bad

T. Adams
09-28-2004, 06:10 PM
Ok, I'll take the bait.

Victor Archer
09-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Sean, nice composition :thumbsup:, save your money for a real camera looks like you got the eye for the investment.

Any one care to guess about the last shot of mine. :cool: :p

matt
09-28-2004, 06:44 PM
hey slinger, that's a pic of me polishing precious metal's nose. lol

T. Adams
09-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Victor your laying on the ground underneath a T-6.

Peashooter
09-28-2004, 06:51 PM
My contribution to P&S. Oh, and a Bear P-3 prop retrospective. Peas

rpzo
09-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Wow, all great stuff!

Here is a couple more.

Rick

Victor Archer
09-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Rick, What a cool thread you started!
Hey, Old Yeller, Saturday after the race?
Here's mine

Unregistered
09-28-2004, 09:54 PM
Man I cant believe non of you guys Have a shot of Russian reuletts prop and spinner, Man I thought for sure there would be one when I read the post title, Its such a pretty PROP.....LOL, I love that shaved down Corsair prop.......Craig(CRANKY)Beal

rpzo
09-28-2004, 10:21 PM
Hey Victor,

Yeah, it's fun to see what everyone else came up with.

Hey, Old Yeller, Saturday after the race?

Nope, my Old Yeller shot is from before Friday's race. I took three shots, stepping the shutter speed down each time. The last shot was at 1/45th of a second. To keep the camera steady I used the crowd barrier to rest my camera on since my monopod was 210 miles to the west of Stead.

It's now somebody elses turn to come up with a theme ;)

Rick

Kilo Hotel
09-29-2004, 08:22 AM
My contribution to P&S. Oh, and a Bear P-3 prop retrospective. Peas

Ah, the ol' 3-blade days. Side by side in your photos it's obvious what a huge change it was to go with a 4-blade prop. Speaking of which, did somebody sew up a new set of covers for the Bear's 4-blader? Those blades lost a lot of weight and needed a whole new set of clothes. :)

Section3guy
09-29-2004, 09:34 AM
lol hey matt it looks just like you lol they got your good side :lol4: how do i get a job on a unlimited???? Great photos every one :thumbsup:

Peashooter
09-29-2004, 11:19 AM
This one's more about Nose Art, Props & Spinners, but it's worth it!

Peashooter
09-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Wow, all great stuff!
Here is a couple more.
Rick

Rick: Did you take your Bear shot on Friday AM after the test flight? We were just to your left if so on "the dark side." Peas

tex-fan
09-29-2004, 11:48 AM
How about a Seafire with counter rotating, :thumbsup:

thunderstangfan
09-29-2004, 11:56 AM
im all for making the bear go faster, but the 3 blade prop looked mean, sounded better too :thumbsup:

Victor Archer
09-29-2004, 12:25 PM
How about a Seafire with counter rotating, :thumbsup:

WOW! Where on earth is that little gem?

tex-fan
09-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Click here for about 2 dozen pics. :thumbsup:
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24080
Nelson Ezell restored it. [ground up] I have seen it in different stages of restoration. So I thought these photos and this thread was pretty cool.
P.S. you just can't beleive how prefect this plane is from the inside out unless you saw it. :D

rpzo
09-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Rick: Did you take your Bear shot on Friday AM after the test flight? We were just to your left if so on "the dark side."

Peas,

Yep, that shot was on Friday morning just after he taxied back in. If I had know you were there I would have said hello.

This one's more about Nose Art, Props & Spinners, but it's worth it!

Nose art? Do I sense the next photo theme coming up?

Rick

AAFO_WSagar
09-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Wow guys.. keep it coming, kewl stuff! I haven't had time to check this thread since it first started... geez! Great idea Rick!

Wayne

(humn... I think I need to change my avitar... anybody got any funny <no copyright> bald guy things???? ;) )

rpzo
09-30-2004, 08:33 PM
One more for the road...

I think I have exhausted my of prop shots from this years event.

Hey tex-fan.

Where is Nelson Ezell based out of? I've got a trip to Texas coming up in a couple of weeks and am thinking a little side trip might be in order.

Rick

tex-fan
10-01-2004, 04:46 AM
Nelson's shop is at the Breckenridge, Tx airport {north central tx}. He is open most week days. I have been there many times and even though I don't know him personally, he has never ran me off, or not answered any of my questions. I try not to hang around too long because he and his crew are always very busy. But he seems to be a very nice guy. Howard Pardue has his muesum there also, but I have never caught it open or been able to meet Howard. I have a bussiness in Graham [very near there] if you come through there stop by I'll buy buy you a cup of coffee. Have a good trip. :D

Peashooter
10-01-2004, 06:22 AM
Exhaust stacks anyone? BTW, who painted Sept. Fury. MB & Race 232 win the Concoure award in my book. Peas

Peashooter
10-01-2004, 07:02 AM
im all for making the bear go faster, but the 3 blade prop looked mean, sounded better too :thumbsup:

Yes, I missed the C-130-type rumble form the Bear's P-3 prop. I know on smaller planes that more blades mean better takeoff and climb performance, while fewer yield better cruise. In older posts they've said that with the 4-bladed prop, the Bear gets better handling and more pull through the nearly constant, g-loaded turn of the shorter course, while giving up some straight-line speed. In his Air Classics article about racing the Bear with the P-3 prop, John Penney talked about massive rudder forces required in the turns -- like 80-90 pounds!

Step on it, Newt!

T. Adams
10-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Exhaust stacks?? Peas., that's not fair you posted your September Fury close up before I could process mine. :D

Victor Archer
10-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Swwwweeeeettttt! Nice shot Tim :thumbsup:
Makes me want to reach out and touch it. :D

T. Adams
10-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks Victor, here are a couple more.

Victor Archer
10-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Great shot of Dago, that's a very interesting view/perspective.
Ahh da Bear. It's not an easy job to get the pilots face unobstructed and something I don't think a lot of us think about as we shoot the planes. :thumbsup:

There are shots (view/perspective) that I plan on taking and don't. Then there are settings and things I want to try and forget. Other ideas I want to make work and spent a lot of time on. For any of you Photographers out there do you ever bring a note book with you: not for the serial # thing, but for ideas and things to remember? I know we all have our favorites we shoot a ton of photos of but do you get home and review the pics from the day and say, oops I didn't shoot that or I shouldn't have been so creative with that plane or that performance?
:dunno: :eek: :D :feedback:

T. Adams
10-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Most of the time I just try different things that I have seen in mags, or mostly on forums like these. To be honest I did not really notice John Penny's face as I took the shot. I took about 6 shots as they did the runup and deleted 5 to the recycle bin.

One thing that I have found a great help is that little EXIF viewer program, especially for auto racing stuff. It is great to see what shutter speed and exsposure bias people are using.

As for a little book, I carry enough stuff around as is, don't need anymore. Sure I do forget stuff, but there is always next year.

Most of the time I try not to think to hard. I always remember the line from the movie Bull Durham, "Try not to think, you'll only hurt the team." :D

Peashooter
10-04-2004, 01:47 AM
Exhaust stacks?? Peas., that's not fair you posted your September Fury close up before I could process mine. :D

Suh-weet, Tim! We've got a long way to go to realize the potential of my bro's D70. And a better photo editor. You're showing us "how high is up!"

Peashooter
10-04-2004, 01:51 AM
I just love the morning light!

rpzo
10-05-2004, 05:03 PM
For any of you Photographers out there do you ever bring a note book with you: not for the serial # thing, but for ideas and things to remember? I know we all have our favorites we shoot a ton of photos of but do you get home and review the pics from the day and say, oops I didn't shoot that or I shouldn't have been so creative with that plane or that performance?

I take mental notes when looking at my pictures and also those of other photographers. I'll look at what somebody else did, try to figure out how they did it, and then try to come close to what I saw. I can honestly say that I have been inspired by the works of Ansel Adams, Phil Makana, Neal Nurmi, Tyson, Wayne as well as the current group that posts on this board. (Ansel Adams? You don't think that there is a comparison between capturing El Capitan with with just the right light and September Fury waiting on the ramp?)

When I am at Reno, or an airshow, I try to get into a mode where I am trying to anticipate what will happen next as well as visualizing what the picture will look like when its captured. With digital it has become a lot easier to realize that vision because you can instantaneously analyze the exposure and composition. With film there was a lot more bracketing like hell and hoping for the best. I was into that "zone" so much this year that I wasn't even keeping track of the race, just setting up for the next shot. I had to ask my son who won after just about every heat. I did have some idea what the order was by going back through the series of pictures that I had just shot.

Rick

Propellerhead
10-06-2004, 12:37 AM
Props & Spinners & Stacks, oh my....

As I conclude another organizing and culling session, I thought I'd post something...

Rob

Propellerhead
10-06-2004, 12:44 AM
Missed two others...

Rob

Peashooter
10-06-2004, 06:37 AM
Props & Spinners & Stacks, oh my....

As I conclude another organizing and culling session, I thought I'd post something...

Rob

That's what I'm talkin' about! :thumbsup:

Old Ramp Rat
10-06-2004, 10:07 AM
It's difficult to express the gratitude, for when, on those rare occasions, some of us are forced to miss Reno, for the outstanding photographs, you all have posted. But I have a question. Don't you tend to loose the BIG picture, when focusing on the SMALL one, (in the view finder), or does your mind learn to adapt?
As an amatuer photographer, I was trying out a new rig at the night launch of Apollo 17, got some (I think), good shots of the launch, untill during an adjustment, I looked up, MY JAW DROPPED, I was watching a man-made object create DAWN. The earth & our bodies shook, and that sucker was LONG down range before I recovered to "photographer" mode.
One year at Reno, crew duties done, I was attempting to get some shots of da Bear, on a late test session. One of my crew grabbed me, and said, "you've got to FEEL this". We went up into the empty metal bleachers, and felt heavan & stands resonate with that three-blade cranked up. A picture could not have done justice. I hope you're not cheating yourselves out of part of the experience.

AAFO_WSagar
10-06-2004, 10:28 AM
Old Ramp Rat, I'll pick this one up because it really strikes home.. yes yes yes, you do give up the big picture, at least I do. I've not really figured out how to see the "big" picture and concentrate on the small.. I rarely know who is in the lead, where the battle for what position is, I just visually search, quickly, for whatever visual might happen or be happening.

I remember a ways back someone on here was kind of irked because of all of the access that those of us who do this somewhat full time are allowed at times... I think we were discussing the air to air session that I had the opportunity to grab in April of '02 or '03 with the Bear down at Reno....

Of all the Air2Air that I've ever done, I've actually just watched the airplanes beside me for probably a total of less than a minute (not that I've done that much A2A mind you) you really do miss the moment real time and sometimes really only get to see it after the fact. Certainly that Rare Bear shoot was that way! I had a video camera as well as my still and knew we only had a very short amount of air time so it was just shoot shoot shoot and then switch cameras and shoot shoot shot some more.

I used to video tape Reno, every race, the whole race until one year I realized that I was a very low paid (read none) cameraman and I just left the darn thing home.... it was wonderful! I actually got to see the races again!

So, my answer to this question is a HUGE YES, you do give up the BIG picture to capture a "single" moment of a race... it is the price you pay and it really is not insignificant. The reward is the final product and the satifaction one gets when you really do nail one..

Wayne

Pylon1_Mark
10-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Old Ramp Rat,

Don't think for a minute that we don't occationally set the cameras aside and live the moment. Cheating yourself fom the experience of air racing is something I never try to do. You grab a few shots, yes, but there are times that you just set the photograpy/video aside for the moment and enjoy. In fact, I don't think I've taken any picutes during the last few laps of the gold race during any year I've attended.

That said, even doing this you do miss the moment sometimes - but just as Wayners said - The reward is the final product and the satifaction one gets when you really do nail one. For an avid photographer, that in itself IS a big part of the experience :D

Kilo Hotel
10-06-2004, 11:57 AM
;) I put it this way when people ask me that question: "You can either be there, or be the photographer, but not both."

I can't do what Cobra does: shoot a little, then watch a little. So when I want to experience an event, I put down the camera (read: leave it at home, so it doesn't tempt me) and pay attention to what's going on.

I go hot and cold wanting to make pictures. I was an avid shooter in high school and college: newspaper, yearbook, sports, darkroom work, 35mm, medium format, landscapes, architectural, portraiture, the whole shot. Then for 20 years after we got married I hardly touched a camera, and my wife took all the snapshots of the kids growing up. Then digital came in and I rediscovered my passion for making images, and especially for making prints. Nowadays, I can hardly wait to get home from a day's shooting and start editing.

I think my wife liked it better the other way. ;)

Old Ramp Rat
10-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Thanks, for the input, art & history owe ALOT to photographers.

The line that always sticks in my mind, was the guy that filmed Sadat's assasination, keeping the whole horrendous moment, in frame.
He viewed the tape later, and said, "What the F*CK was I thinking, I could have been killed"....

sometimes thanks, just doesn't seem adequate

AAFO_WSagar
10-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Old ramp rat... make ya a deal.... sign up for a membership and I'll handle any problems that come up during the process, if any do... yer posts all have to be "approved" as it is now and if I'm away from my puter, and one of the two mods who also can approve/disapprove guest messages does not see it, they languish in the "awaiting approval" bin... it's fast, it's free, it's easy (where have I heard that before?)

Also, I deleted an earlier one from you, because it promoted someone we don't talk about here... click on the "contact us" link on the bottom of this page if you'd like a bit deeper explnation...

Ok... you've been drafted, now go fill out the paperwork... ;)

Wayne

T. Adams
10-06-2004, 06:28 PM
Enough talking people, this is a photo forum!! :rolleyes:

Here is something a little different. The background with the T-6 driver or crewmember walking through sucks, but I'm not into using the clone stamp too much tonight.

Pylon1_Mark
10-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Hard to argue that Tim.

Since I didn't make Reno 2004... how about an oldie but goodie ;)

Reno 1998... Pilot Bruce Lockwood in Dago Red following a morning test hop.
Photo taken @1/30th, F4.6, tripod mounted with fluid head (the plane was taxiing back to the ramp at the time)

Peashooter
10-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Hard to argue that Tim.

Photo taken @1/30th, F4.6, tripod mounted with fluid head (the plane was taxiing back to the ramp at the time)

Mark, This Dago shot is a true classic. I still have the original screen saver file, too! It showed me the way to early and late day lighting.

Now I'll suggest a Canopys & Cockpits theme...

Pylon1_Mark
10-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Mark, This Dago shot is a true classic. I still have the original screen saver file, too! It showed me the way to early and late day lighting.
Thanks Pees :thumbsup:

Most of what I have is on the other computer - and I'm having a heck of a time networking these two beasts together. I also need to get on the stick and re-install the software on my new box for the Nikon Super CoolScan 4000ED scanner.

Reguardless - my main focus for the next month or two will be getting on track with the POTW feature that Wayners has graciously allowed me to assist on... as well as the upcoming calendar wallpaper feature. Also ther are a few "stays in the truck" things that we are planning on which will be public knowledge as time allows.

Great shots BTW - thanks for posting 'em. :thumbsup:

AAFO_WSagar
10-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Hard to argue that Tim.

Photo taken @1/30th, F4.6, tripod mounted with fluid head (the plane was taxiing back to the ramp at the time)Mark, I gotta tell ya, it's bringing tears to my eyes seeing you starting to "play" again. You got some smashing stuff in yer archive, that I know fer sure!!!!

Now, we both gotta get our butts back to Reno next time round, complete with the trip in the truck to the fence with that "Speed" guy ;)

Dood... I actually ate some soup tonight!!!!

Sometimes, the small stuff really means a lot to a guy... ;)

Wayner

Pylon1_Mark
10-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Dood... I actually ate some soup tonight!!!!

Sometimes, the small stuff really means a lot to a guy... ;)

Wayner
As I said Wayne - patience.... everything will get back to better then before in good time. Baby steps bro - baby steps ;)

I'm very happy to see that you got to eat some soup today - that's one HUGE step in the right direction. I have little doubt that you'll be kickin ass and taking names in the very near future. Until that happens (and even afterwards), you know I'm here for ya. :thumbsup:

matt
10-06-2004, 08:27 PM
i know this doesn't really fit in with this thread but it's still part of a plane, lol

with no further adue, SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION!

Jason S.
10-07-2004, 01:21 AM
Hey matt since we’re doing shameless promos here is mine. :D
And some pics I took with my video camera. It only takes 1meg pictures but some are ok.
Jason S.

Jason S.
10-07-2004, 01:29 AM
Oops, the shameless one didn’t work. Oh well.. enjoy the others
Jason S.

T. Adams
10-07-2004, 04:28 AM
Mark that Dago shot really is a classic. I remember seeing it on the old pylon1.com site.
Seeing you write about hooking up the scanner really makes me thank my lucky stars that I will never have to scan a bunch of photos again. I can convert a RAW file and tweak it for the web in less than 5 minutes, but removing dust from scans used to take 15-20 minutes alone. I do not miss that al all.

glider90
10-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Cool discusion here guys, and the archived stuff from Pylon1 is being eagerly awaited:)

Mark, there is one shot in particular that I remember from Pylon1 that I would love to see again, and buy a copy if I could. It is a shot of Leewards yellow Air Ranch Special in the valley of speed.

The skies were grey, but light was shining on thre plane, and it had a special 'fade' filter effect to it. I beleive the shot was by Bucky Dawson, in 1985? Do you know the shot I am talking about?

That was one of the most impressive shots I have ever seen, I am sure there are others that would love to see it.

Good to see you back more...
~Jim

matt
10-07-2004, 09:59 AM
jason, i love the prop tip shot, that's siiiiiiiiiiiiiic

Pylon1_Mark
10-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi Tim - I feel ya on the slide scanning issue. I should add that the Nikon scanner I use has a 50 slide autofeeder and automatically takes away the dust speckles (as long as I'm NOT dealing with Kodack film)... so it's pretty much a no brainer when it comes to scanning pics I take with the Fuji Provia film I use. After that, I just run it through a program on Adobe that sizes it down, auto contrasts and sharpens (if needed) - so I'm at about 1 min per slide after the scan... keeping the post processing time down is a major consideration for everyone.

Most of the old pics are on Kodack film though - since it was the staple for so many years. Time for the cloning tool and a few minutes of post processing - a pita but necessary for the archival stuff.

glider90 - yes, I know exactly the picture you are refering to... which was taken by Don "Bucky" Dawson. I will need to get in contact with him to discuss the use of his photos here - as well as the other people that have contributed photos to the P1 site. The prentation of an archival photo is paramont to insure that the people who own the rights to the photos are presented in a manner that meets with their approval. It's the only ethical thing to do, and both Wayne and I are the same page when it comes to stuff like this. Throwing up old pics without a complete discription to note the historical significance behind them is a disservice to the photographer, and to air racing community as a whole. I don't think anyone would disagree on the logic behind that.

In short - it looks promissing, but not in the bag just yet.

AAFO_WSagar
10-07-2004, 11:14 AM
I've been kicking the idea of a "web store" around for years.. one of the things I'd LOVE to see in it would be prints from artists like Bucky and Mark and Neal and a whole lot of others who were taking quality shots from a long time ago.

If we can ever figure out all the details, which include, the royalty due RARA on any picture that any credentialed media person takes when sold, printing costs, "gallery commission" etc, if we can get those who took the shots "on board" and can make something like this "web store" a dooable thing where neither Mark or I are spending too much time on it, I think it would be a way to get a lot of these pictures out there on people's walls, while putting a dollar or two in the artist's pocket, as well as helping RARA by adding to their kitty and a small token to this website's kitty as well...

It just seems like the next step...

Over the year's we've had people ask for T-Shirts, Hats, etc etc.. one big problem with all that is stuff has to be bought up front, frankly, the budget here has never been in position to handle that.. things might change though...

It's just another idea (one of many) that I think could add a level of quality to this site.. Heck, I'd like to have an AAFO mug myself... as well as some of these fantastic old shots from Bucky, Mark and Wingman as well..

Anyway... rambling here... just have a bundle of energy this morning.. feeling better daily and loving it! Going to Nellis next month, even going down a week early to help set things up... Wahoo! Airplanes!

Wayne

T. Adams
10-07-2004, 05:53 PM
A couple more.

Air Race Addict
10-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Okay, finally starting to get my slides back and I like this one for starters.
Bill, airraceaddict.com