Thanks from the "Bear" Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks from the "Bear" Driver

For all of you out there who have given congratulations over this forum to the "Rare Bear" Air Racing Team...a very heart felt and sincere "Thank You". All of your well wishes mean so much to this incredible and courageous team.

Many of you know the some of the history and what transpired during our team's race week saga, but some of the facts and details have become clouded in the post race excitement.

After a successful test hop and practice on Saturday and Sunday, we went out to qualify on Monday's first period. I wasn't happy with my line and lap time from that qualification and we planned to go out the next day and better the speed. Everyone knows that we found metal in the screens after that first run. Based on errant info from a Reno lab, our "Bear" Mechs went looking for a failing piston/cylinder through Monday, Tuesday, and into Wednesday. Then Mel Gregoire (who's been building R-3350s since before all of our parents were born), was flown up to Reno. Mel took one look at our screens and said: "Well...your blower drive's goin' away".

The crew toiled around the clock to change out the blower drive, and we did ground runs around midnight Thursday. AM test hop on Friday, and we went out to race. We ran a moderate power setting on Friday after which we found a cylinder down. Non-stop work by the crew through Friday night to change out the cylinder. Flight test AM Saturday, then race. Immediately after the start, one cylinder began to miss intermittently. RPM and throttle had to come way back to get it running smoothly again. Lyle and I decided I'd continue, but we fell back to third place. Crew worked past midnight to troubleshoot ignition and change out a bank of coils. Test flight Sunday AM, then get ready to race.

In the middle of our final race prep, RARA moved the Gold Race up due to weather. We weren't ready yet. After the release, power looked good and the engine was running smoothly. Moving ahead of "September Fury", I flew on Skip's wing for a lap and a half. Then short of pylon 4, "Dago" just turned left. I suspected something amiss as Skip just doesn't make that kind of error. "Dago's" pylon cut put him several seconds in front of the "Bear". I set power to keep that position, save the engine, and made sure that I wouldn't cut any pylons. During the last two laps, my ego wanted to throttle up to push or pass "Dago", but with all our engine's history during race week, our crew chief Elliott White and I decided not to risk "grenading" the motor.

Crossing the finish line first is always the most dramatic and exciting conclusion to a tight race. Ya'll will never know, and our teams will never reveal just how much reserve "Dago" and the "Bear" had in those final laps. We made a decision that secured a Gold win and preserved our powerplant. A blown engine would have devastated the "Rare Bear" program. But...keep an eye on us for next year!

On behalf of the hardest working crew I've ever seen and their understanding wives and families, I again thank all of you who have left well wishes and congratulations for the "Rare Bear" Air Racing Team.

John Penney, team member
    "Rare Bear" Air Racing Team

Re: Thanks from the "Bear" Driver

Awsome Job Mr. Penny!!!!

Glad you had a chance to post and set the record straight as to exactly what you all went through on race week. The crew did an amazing job keeping the Bear running strong, and again we thank them for thier hard work and dedication.

But it takes a seasoned pilot to fly that crazy Bearcat around those pylons at race speeds, and I want to take this time to say my thanks to you. Your outstanding ability as a pilot and as a "Bear" team player are second to none. So again, Thank You Mr. Penny

Looking forward to next year now, when the Bear wins Gold again!!!

Nick

Comment

Everyone who ventured into the pits saw how hard the BearCrew were working to get her running tip-top. The Can-Do attitude and loyalty of everyone involved with the RearBear got her exactly where she deservered to be, Gold Victory!

Comment

Congratulations on an incredible job!
        And BTW, I love the new tow car.

Leo
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
          Congratulations on an incredible job!
          And BTW, I love the new tow car. Leo
          I'm waiting for the bell to ring on the tow vehicle and have Lyle's head pop out to sell ice cream! Mr. Softee with a mule in the back! Bear Brew flavored?

You guys in the Bear crew are an inspiration! Here's a shot of them after the Friday morning test flight.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Peashooter; 09-27-2004, 02:16 PM.
          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Surely a thrill to read the 'first hand' account and a real privledge to say, "Congratulations!"

It's been awesome to see the results of all the hard work getting Rare Bear back in the air. Not to overshadow or belittle ALL racers efforts to make airracing what it is today.

And, as Eric mentioned in another thread, the future looks GREAT! Next year will be even better! I think everyone will agree!

Congrats again to the Rare Bear crew!
            Gary

Comment

Originally posted by "Bear" Driver

Crossing the finish line first is always the most dramatic and exciting conclusion to a tight race. Ya'll will never know, and our teams will never reveal just how much reserve "Dago" and the "Bear" had in those final laps. We made a decision that secured a Gold win and preserved our powerplant. A blown engine would have devastated the "Rare Bear" program. But...keep an eye on us for next year!

On behalf of the hardest working crew I've ever seen and their understanding wives and families, I again thank all of you who have left well wishes and congratulations for the "Rare Bear" Air Racing Team.

John Penney, team member
              "Rare Bear" Air Racing Team
              We were in our box screaming "Go Bear!" as you went by hot on Dago's tail. I kept looking for the pass and then when you slowed down on the back of the course I was telling everyone that Dago is a tough plane to pass and you must have backed off a bit for the final laps. Then when the power came back and you planted your nose on Dago's tail again, I gave up trying to figure out the plan.

The weather was so miserable that as soon as the planes passed the finish line, we all packed up to leave. If they announced Dago's pylon cut, we never heard it as we walked out to my friend's trailer in the RV parking lotto celebrate another good year for the Bear with an apparently healthy engine after the 2004 races. "Bear will do it for sure in 2005" was the toast.

We must have partied a little hard as I didn't hear about the Bear's win until the next day in the Parking Lot elevator at the Silver Legacy hotel. A guy noticed my leather sponsor jacket and he said, "Your guy did alright yesterday" I said, "Yeah, Dago is hard to get around but second placea few seconds behind is showing an improvement every year." When he said the Bear won, I had to find a Monday paper and verify it as true. We called everybody who was in our box via cell phone to give them the news (I've created quite a few Bear fans by giving away box seat tickets over the years, they pay their way now...woohoo!).

Anyway, everybody from Box A-81 congratulates the Rare Bear team for a fine Reno win. You guys do phenomenal prep/repair work in such a small amount of time, I hope you all finally got some well deserved rest after all those all nighters.

Sorry this congrats is so late, I just got back from my honeymoon (Reno was part 2 of 3) and finally have a chance to use a computer.

I hope the winner's check can go for much needed parts and equipment and I am really looking forward to seeing the Bear in action in 2005.

Don Hatten
              Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

PS: Thanks for the cool windsock!
              PPS: Get well soon, Wayne.

Comment

I'd like to add my congratulations to John and the crew, and thanks to Sharon and Lyle for keeping "the people's airplane", as John calls it, not only in the race but in the winners circle. Personlly, I thought it would be a couple more years-am I glad I was wrong!

I've said it before, but as a "fan sponsor", it's not really the plane, it's the people I support. I look forward to continueing to help out as long as my finances permit, (as an airline employee I'm sure John and Lyle know what I mean) but I will ALWAYS be a John Penney/Lyle Shelton fan, not just for their tremendous skill and courage in flying but in their leadership skills in assembling and motivating what has to be one of the most dedicated, determined, and selfless crews in motorsports history.

Ron Henning
                Ron Henning

Comment

That was a sweet win! Congratulations to the Rare Bear team!

Steve Carter

Comment

I would like to add my congratulations not only to the crew but to all the bear fans and fansponsors we could not have done it with out your help and support, and for that we do thank you. This is one of the best crews in racing and is absolutly the hardest working crew. The talk going around the pit on monday was that the bear was done, this crew would not accept that. We still had 4 days untill we had to race and were determined to make sure the airplane was ready. after the test flight friday morning we rechecked the screens and found them in good condition the decision was to "lets go racing". Even when we found a bad cylinder after fridays heat race everyone of you pulled together to get it changed by saturdays heat race. The bear still was not happy on saturday and it was another long night to get ready for sunday. After a test flight sunday morning we decided to go for it. As john started to powerup coming down the chute, he saw that the bear was happy and was going to give dago a run. and we did. I ask that next time you have a drink, have one for the bear crew, they earned it.

Elliott
                    STRESS

Comment

hear hear!!

Comment

Originally posted by "Bear" Driver
                        For all of you out there who have given congratulations over this forum to the "Rare Bear" Air Racing Team...a very heart felt and sincere "Thank You". All of your well wishes mean so much to this incredible and courageous team.
                        The "Thank You" goes to you John. I hate that my family and I missed this year, but we were with you the whole time. It's teamwork that makes the difference and not cockiness. When a person expects to win, they lose. Anything can happen in racing. A win is a win!

We'll see you next year, Clay Lloyd
                        Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

Working...
                        X