What happened to September Fury?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to September Fury?

For the first time in 28 years I couldn't be on the Reno ramp this year (another streak WILL start in 05!), so I hope that somebody can give me some additional info.

There have been bunches of strings about the Bear's speed and how and why John held back. (In my opinion, when right, the Bearcat has always been able to go "as fast as it needs to go" - I don't think that we have EVER seen its full potential).

Bunches of other strings have talked about why Dago's speed may have been down: last minute engine change, bad weather (I've seen a lot worse there), etc.

What I haven't heard discussed is what happenned to Race 232. Last year, before the engine went, Mike appeared to be qualifying faster than anybody else. This year, from the reports I have read, he was clearly a third place bird, and that's with Dago flying slower. Obviously, Mike could just be flying more conservatively, but that's not the image I have of him. Anybody have any info from the Brown or Sanders camps on if and where they lost speed?

Re: What happened to September Fury?

First off lets clear up the misconception that speeds were way down, A 469 race average on Sunday would equate to about a 30 MPH faster race speed with different weather conditions. So flown in non rain, lower crosswind the average would have been around 499. so the race average while lower than last years race taking this into account isn't dramatically off the pace.
    Second of all, If you think that Dago was just content to stay barely two seconds ahead of a known well running, (no visable excess smoke, no fluids on the bottom) loaded with nitrous (rumored) Rare Bear that has phenomonal acceleration when hammered on, you would not be my choice for strategist.
    But that does not answer your question, It is obvious that Mike Brown was not getting the horsepower that he needed to play to win this year. Mike is a very aggressive individual and if the plane would have been up to it. I am sure he would have been closer to the boys up front. That is why they call it racing.
    John Slack
    John Slack

Comment

Hey John. Randy and I didn't get a chance to stop by and say 'hi' this year (it was a shortened trip for the Haskin Brothers), but I certainly did think that you had to be split on emotions with the outcome.

"Paying Job" vs. "Family loyalty".

I was happy for you either way, though.

Brad

Comment

My .02 cents thinks partially that Mike Brown has a new engine with not a lot of time on it. Also, I heard that they had a problem with the boil off system due to the cold.

Comment

John,

You have no reason to associate a face with my name, but we have had very cordial conversations in the pits in past years. I can only guess that you are currently sensitive about implied criticism of Skip's flying in the Gold heat. But you won't find any such criticism in my post.

I never said speeds were "way down" I said they were down and, even accepting your adjustment for the weather, they were down. I never said that Skip was holding back. Since the first day I saw him flying Jeanie, I have never ever seen him race anything less than all out. Your "strategy" criticism belongs somewhere other than pointed at me.

Comment

Ken,
            I apologize if I seemed rude in my reply to your post, I did not mean to be, possibly more sarcasm than anything else. I think Skip flew a fine race, and I think that John Penney flew a very smart race, considering there was no doubt in his mind that Skip cut a pylon and he had not. I was just pointing out that Mike Brown at that point on Sunday would have been closer if the airplane had it. An interesting aside regarding Mike Brown and the history of the Bears fan sponsorship. Prior to the fan sponsor deal starting The Rare Bear was indeed wallowing in a uncertain future, there was plenty of great potential. There was also plenty of talk regarding the airplane and who would put money into the program. But it was just talk. My wife and I stopped by to see Mike Brown and say hello in the year before the fan sponsor program started. We talked about Strega, we talked about Dago, we talked about his Sea Fury, I mentioned the Rare Bear as to it's potential and he rudely jumped on me that it was no threat, never gonna happen, Lyle just didn't have the dough, and should just park it. Not only that he was quite sure that with the way Dago and Strega were running and how he felt his Sea fury would run, the Bear was out of it's league. I was not happy as I left about his attitude and called my good friend Tony Dodge of Dodge Bros. automotive and told Tony his quote. The next week Tony laid out the Money for a Brand new Crankshaft and Master rods, link rods, etc., a whole new rotating assembly. Thanks Mike for making the wrong people mad at the right time. That crank and rods took the Bear right by you this year, and it's only the beginning.
            John Slack
            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
              http://rarebear.aafo.com/That crank and rods took the Bear right by you this year, and it's only the beginning.
              John Slack
              BCzero four, it's good to hear you soundin like John Slack!

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Mr. Slack:

Did you hear any comments from John Penney of how Rear Bear handled this year with the 4-blade prop?

Thank you,
                Keith Doyne

Comment

As an interested observer, I too thought that the Bear's racing efforts would be less than all out. Not enough money to support that kind of program. However, with the showing they made this year I was apparently wrong. Now with the win, perhaps sponsorship money will be easier to obtain and I can only imagine what that win did for team morale. I now think the future of the Bear is much brighter and I am very happy to see it back in good form. Makes for some very interesting racing. I think everybody loved the Sunday gold!!!

GP

Comment

Thanks Mike for making the wrong people mad at the right time. That crank and rods took the Bear right by you this year, and it's only the beginning.
                    John Slack
                    And who says "trash talk" doesn't affect races....

That whole exchange sure has a nice "old school" ring to it, nothing like the polished and politically correct stuff that happens so much today.

Comment

Not only that he was quite sure that with the way Dago and Strega were running and how he felt his Sea fury would run,....
                      Strega? Did something slip past me un-noticed? I thought Strega was in pieces right now.

Comment

Ken,
                        My wife and I stopped by to see Mike Brown and say hello in the year before the fan sponsor program started. We talked about Strega, we talked about Dago, we talked about his Sea Fury, I mentioned the Rare Bear as to it's potential and he rudely jumped on me that it was no threat, never gonna happen, Lyle just didn't have the dough, and should just park it. Not only that he was quite sure that with the way Dago and Strega were running and how he felt his Sea fury would run, the Bear was out of it's league.
                        John Slack
                        I think he was talking about a few years ago.

Race 29
                        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                          Strega? Did something slip past me un-noticed? I thought Strega was in pieces right now.
                          Note this part of Mr. Slack's post:

My wife and I stopped by to see Mike Brown and say hello in the year before the fan sponsor program started.
                          So, that would make it circa 2000, right?

Comment

I heard a rumor that strega was going to be here in 2005.any one else hear this? (strega in pieces like in blown up??) i hope not
                            www.renosection3.com

Comment

In talking to a crew member of an "affiliated" team, they say that Dago's getting a new Rousch engine and will be flown by another pilot, who will be vacating another familiar '04 Gold cockpit if/when it sells. But then if the other team owner sells the current mount, then they will go for a full race Mustang, too. Got it? That's what we heard, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X