Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winners Announcement for the Unlimiteds. When was it made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winners Announcement for the Unlimiteds. When was it made?

When was the announcement made that Dago Red had cut a pylon and Rare Bear was the winner?

How did everyone find out who the winner was?

Did the Bear get to be front and center at the bleachers and get the big trophy?

Did John Penney spray the bottle of champagne over everyone?

And what happened in Dago Reds pit? Did Skip come over to congragulate John for winning?

Fill me in with the details as I was not there and am clueless to what happened.

Thanks.

Re: Winners Announcement for the Unlimiteds. When was it made?

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta
    When was the announcement made that Dago Red had cut a pylon and Rare Bear was the winner?

How did everyone find out who the winner was?

Did the Bear get to be front and center at the bleachers and get the big trophy?

Did John Penney spray the bottle of champagne over everyone?

And what happened in Dago Reds pit? Did Skip come over to congragulate John for winning?

Fill me in with the details as I was not there and am clueless to what happened.

Thanks.
    1) About 30 min after the race

2) Over the loudspeakers

3) Yes

4) I don't know but I would assume

5) The bear crew congratulated the Dago crew first. Then after the announcement, the Dago crew congratulated the Bear Crew.

People.... the competitors in this sport are all champions. They are a great bunch of people and we are truly lucky that they do what they do!

Bill
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

I know I found out from Randy Goss long after the race was over. I kept waiting and waiting in the pits, wondering when the heck are they going to tow the Bear back in. I wandered over the the Warlock pit and Randy told me what happened, I couldn't believe it.

Comment

I would have to say it was more like 13 minutes. (after they landed and lined up) Almost everyone was gone from the stands but the true fans remained. They interviewed Skip and kept saying "unofficially" I could tell something was up by the way the annoucers were acting, Not to mention I saw the bear back off right after the cut. But as soon as they gave the mike to John Penny he brought up the cut, about 3 mins in to the interview they annouced it. They immediatly towed Dago off the ramp.......It was great.

Comment

I was lucky enough to be standing close to lyle ontop of the bear trailer for the gold race. soon after the checkered flag waved john radioed dago cut a pylon, i climbed down and by the time i got to the pit entrance they made the announcement.
          sunday morning a friend of mine and I were talking to a dago crewman who made the statement "we have the bear covered, the only uncertanty is 232 " as far as the bear passing dago i dont know.
          when dago cut the pylon and shot ahead it seemed like the bear closed up the distance rapidly.
          my only question is if dago was running his race and bear was flying formation with him, why not increase speed to put some distance and see if the bear could respond.
          but after all a great effort by the Bear team, dago and all the other race teams for all the classes. only 360 days left until next year

Comment

Almost everyone was gone from the stands but the true fans remained.
            That was an unfair statement. My ride was leaving for Reno right after the Gold race, and I had no choice but to leave with them. (I missed the Jet gold race afterwards as a result). Normally I would head for the pits right after the unlimited gold, but I had little choice this year. I consider myself a true fan in any sense of the word.

Just wanted to clear that up, my friend.

I was listening to the air race broadcast on FM radio as we departed, but the signal is local to Stead only, and we lost it as we went over the hill into Reno before the announcement was made. I learned about Dago's penalty in the Reno Gazette/Journal the next morning.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
              I was listening to the air race broadcast on FM radio as we departed, but the signal is local to Stead only, and we lost it as we went over the hill into Reno before the announcement was made. I learned about Dago's penalty in the Reno Gazette/Journal the next morning.
              I was trying to find the the station they were broadcasting on all weekend. But I never could track it down. What was the station, and is it the same every year?? I even looked in the program, and couldn't find anything, but I may have missed it.

Thanks

Nick

Comment

97.7 FM band. I don't know if it is the same every year.

Comment

You can also hear the race and airshow frequency on the aircraft bands, but that one DOES seem to be different each year....We just bring a scanner and search for it, or ask for the freq. from other spectators who's radios we can hear broadcasting it.

The FM broadcast is pretty much what you hear over the PA in the stands. makes for a better event when you are eating dust.

Comment

Working...
                  X