Highlight of the week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlight of the week

Other than the racing, the highlight of the week had to be spending about 15-20 minutes talking to Pete Law about all the air racing stuff he has done over the years and current stuff he is doing.
    I was with another fourm member Propellerhead (Rob Miller), when he asked the gentleman we were talking to if he was Pete Law. Well of course he was, now this is a guy I could spend all day listening to tell stories.

As a side note when I ventured by the Bear pits mid week, Pete was talking to a spectator about the engine expert they had brought in. He said it took him less than 30 seconds to tell them that the blower was going bad. Too bad the so called first expert had them waste all that time checking for the wrong thing.

As for you Mr. Sagar, I'll see you next year!!

Re: Highlight of the week

I happened to be standing in front of the hanger when the oil analysis company told the Bear's chief engineer the mystery metal in the screens was aluminum. As pistons were the only logical source, they went looking for a bad cylinder. If you or I looked at tiny flecks of metal, could we tell if they are aluminum or silver? The Bear crew worked their backsides off keeping that machine running all weekend, and they were extremely lucky that a man of very considerable experience was able to see the mistake and know where the problem lay.

Given bad information from an expert source (the oil analysis company), anybody would have spent hours chasing the wrong problem.

Comment

I'm not saying they did not work their butts off, they did. The guy was obviously was an oil expert, not a 3350 expert. I'm just glad they found that gentleman, and the problem. I'm sure at the time that was all they had to go on, (what the oil expert told them). They had no choice but to look for what he thought it was, it is just too bad they were mislead.

Comment

Sounds like Team Rare Bear needs to get a different oil analysis program provider. But as has been said, you need some type-specific expertise to go along with that analysis. Unfortunately, I'm thinking that there just aren't THAT many Wright Aircraft Engine experts in the world today, (with the exceptions of the obvious team mechanics for Lyle and on the Sea Fury teams), and that they better hire that expert who saved the day as a consultant? My .02 worth. Go Bear and congratulations on a well, (if not overdue), deserved win.

Bill, aka: Air Race Addict
        http://airraceaddict.com
        Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Mel Gregoire was not in reno accidentally, Mel has been involved with the Bearcats R-3350 program since 1969 when it all started. Mel was one of my early teachers when i started working with him on the bearcat when I was 14. This man knows 3350's better than anyone and is a solid part of the engine team. In the people in the know over the years his name has been as big as Thorn, Zeuschel, and Hovey. it is just that he is a pretty quiet guy and doesn't blow his own horn.
          John Slack
          John Slack

Comment

Working...
          X