Precious Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precious Metal

Hi all just wanted to hear some of your opinions on precious metal and why ron doesnt seem to want to push her at all. Its great that he brings her out but why doesnt he even scrape the surface of that planes enormous performance potential? I think sunday was the hardest hes ever run and that turned out to be somewhere around 409? I've heard ron is a great guy and all and im not trying to bash him but if you buy such a purpose built racer then shouldnt you RACE it? Oh well, just a big fan of griffon power and after the miss ashley tragedy I'd like to see precious take its place in the gold. Great week nonetheless, looking forward to next year.

Re: Precious Metal

hello abner, it wouldn't be right to speak on rons' behalf so let's look at precious metal facts, she's had alot of problems coming back...

in 2002 the weather was bad, pm's engine was having some trouble, and ron was still a little new at racing (it was hirst year to actually race, damn terrorists), and if he had bumped the power up the result would not have been good. in 2003 the engine had a lot of problems, but ultimately gave ron the bronze win.

next year may be faster as pm gets healthier and healthier.

hope to see you next year

proud precious metal crewman
    matt williams
    heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Is PM planning on being at Nellis this year?

Matt,
      I know they have had some engine gremlins in the past couple of years. What kind of shape is it in now?

I would think that Ron just needs more time actually flying her to get comfortable with the plane at race speeds. It has not been in flying shape for a great portion of the last few years. I expect that performance will continue to improve in the next few years.

Kevin

Comment

from what ron told me, he does plan to bring it to nellis.

she seems to be running really well kevin, the problems from last year are fixed, a few new ones have cropped up but are very fixable.

i think speeds will improve too, we'll just have to see though...
        heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Why is everyone wondering why the pilot owners don't push their airplanes? Most conversations end up with the same answer...Money! A race engine costs anywhere from $125k to $200k. The prize money for first place is only $160K, the question that should be asked is WHY are these guys pushing the engines so hard? No bashing, just facts. Ron is a great guy, and I really do not think anyone should second guess any of his moves or any other pilot/owners. Until you experience the massive cost of airracing and how much stress that goes with it, I think we shouldn't question the ones that have.

Comment

Ron,
            I almost forgot, I hope all is well with you and your family back in Florida.

Eric

Comment

good point eric, but i didn't want to play the money card because as i said before, i didn't want to speak for ron
              heh heh alriiiight

Comment

The program this year said the unlimited purse was $760,000; is that total prize money for all classes? Even if so, that 160k number is a little low....

Comment

The $706k is the TOTAL of all the prize money awarded to the unlimited class.
                  Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                  My Photos
                  My Ride

Comment

It's damn expensive, Matt, just trying to make some of the fans realize that it's just not a matter of jumping in and slamming the throttle forward. It's time consuming and at $7.oo a gallon for the hot race fuel with a burn rate of about 110 gallons a race, the fuel alone is enough to break most teams.

Comment

All i was saying is that the particular airplane ron has was built with alot of speed in mind. If he wanted to cruise and have a good time, buy a stocker or a sea fury. I also read a story on this site or WAP that when ron purchased PM he also got 2 or 3 spare engines with it, is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by AbnerWigglestaf
                        All i was saying is that the particular airplane ron has was built with alot of speed in mind. If he wanted to cruise and have a good time, buy a stocker or a sea fury. I also read a story on this site or WAP that when ron purchased PM he also got 2 or 3 spare engines with it, is this true?
                        The engines were built up by Jeff Neff, the former crew chief for the Griffon powered Miss Bud hydroplane. Last year @Reno, Ron told me he was down to one last "Bud" engine...which are the real 'get up and go' ones that Whittington commissioned Neff to build.

One thing to remember (and no respect to Ron and crew here), but that airplane is REALLY rough, and a real handful. It has never really received the attention it needs to smooth the kinks out and make it into a 'runner'. It was hastily built, rarely raced, and virtually never tested. And because of finances, or whatever, it does not receive the off season "going through" that the other FAST boys do....the kind that are required to go as fast as that airframe might be capable of.

Comment

"One thing to remember (and no respect to Ron and crew here),"

eh, you mean disrepect, right speed?
                          heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Just a typo...it happens

Comment

Uh, yeah....oooops. :-)

Remember, I have some sort of a vested interest in that plane too. No DISrespect intended for Ron and crew.

Comment

Working...
                              X