PDA

View Full Version : Rare Bear WINS!!!! Dago cuts pylon...

Trievermom
09-19-2004, 04:24 PM
...dats what a birdie told me!!

GoBear
09-19-2004, 04:33 PM
"O MY GOD!"

Confirmation please....

So I can start screaming and celebrating!

Don

Race5
09-19-2004, 04:36 PM
So help me if this is a joke I'm gonna KILL someone.......sitting with fingers crossed hoping it's true :1zhelp:

DdV
09-19-2004, 04:43 PM
It's true!!!

Check out RARA's site - airrace.org for results!

Unregistered
09-19-2004, 04:49 PM
NO JOKE......I WAS THERE GREAT RACE....BEAR FINISHED ABOUT 1.5 SECONDS BEHIND BUT DAGO CUT PYLON 4......BEAR IS THE CHAMPION

Trievermom
09-19-2004, 04:53 PM
Bob said it was an incredible race...neck and neck. Dago crossed the finish line first with the Bear right behind and Fury a ways back. Said that Dago and Bear GAVE IT ALL!!!! Then word came down afterwards that Skip cut a pylon (the crowd in the stands were half gone already so he doesn't even think that they realized it).
UPDATE....Terry Bland confirms Skip cut a pylon.
UPDATE #2: This Terri scrapping egg off face for throwing Miss A under bus for sand bagging Silver every year. She BUMPED to the GOLD - YAHOO! Like they say....this is Reno....anything can happen. Good man Brent, for steppin' her up. CONGRATS HOOT!!!!

wardog
09-19-2004, 05:09 PM
according to the RARA site - Rare Bear was officially declared the winner

To Wayne and all the folks sending in updates all week - THANKS! I wasn't able to make it to this year for various reasons, so being able to keep updated and see some excellent pictures, really made a difference. As Wayne can attest to, it's not the same as being there, but it's the next best thing. Everyone did a great job and it's much appreciated.

Race 29
09-19-2004, 05:10 PM
The Gold wasn't supposed to be run until 4:45 pacific. Could they have accually been AHEAD of schedule? Wow! Hopefully all the Calafornians can make it back over the hill before the snow starts!

Congratulations Bear!! :thumbsup:
You showed what a motivated, talented crew can do!

Race 29

MMPerk
09-19-2004, 05:17 PM
:thumbsup: My hat is off the to the team, pilot, and all of those that never gave up on them.

I'll have to go have a drink and toast their victory.

Lonnie

Race 29
09-19-2004, 05:19 PM
Thanks Triever for the quick report!! It's been confirmed on RARA's website. Any other results? Did Warlock win the T-6 Gold?

Race 29
(wearing my Warlock shirt, drinking from my Rare Bear coffee mug!)

matt
09-19-2004, 05:20 PM
poor weather was coming in so the moved the gold unlimited up to make sure it happened.

rare bear won, i was wrong, great race though!

precious metal took fourth in the silver, ron did great!

FlyKidChris
09-19-2004, 05:22 PM
The mighty Skip has just struck out. Don't get me wrong, Skip would be my first choice to drive my Unlimited (if I had one), but that other "speed-slinger for hire", John Penney, came up the winner today. The race was run early, due to the weather (ironically, the race was run in the worst weather of the day, oh well...) and John leaped past Mike Brown in Sept. Fury and stayed very close to Dago Red. In a post race interview, Penney said he saw Holm cut pylon 4 on lap 2. Minutes later, it was confirmed. It was a great race, in any case, with the Bear licking at Dago's tail feather's for most of the race.
And so the sun (literally) came out just after the race, and it figuratively shines on the whole Rare Bear crew tonight.

drmull
09-19-2004, 05:29 PM
Yahoo!!! Wish I could have seen it- maybe someone will post video soon. I would have loved to see the two of them 1.6 seconds apart!

51rrmerlin
09-19-2004, 07:13 PM
well.. personal i wished dago would have pulled it off an the weather was bad,but i would like to say great job to the BEAR tem two years ago they didn't think he would return.

GREAT job guys

Unregistered
09-19-2004, 07:31 PM
Wayne,

Regardless of what happened, it was one of the best races in a very long time! The battle for first was what was keeping us warm this afternoon. It was great to see Voodoo and Miss A in the Gold race!

It will be interesting to see what happens at Nellis. Yea, it's a demonstration, but we all know what happens when you get competitive pilots on a race course. That'll be really fun!!!

OK, time for dinner and begin thawing out.

Jeff Lee

Unregistered
09-19-2004, 07:48 PM
It was an amazing race to watch. Coldest Reno Sunday I can remember, blowing wind and rain during the race. John was right on Skip's wingtip for the entire dive lap, and coming around the last part of lap one, the Bear was moving around Dago. It was obvious that Bear had the power to pass. Word is that John watched Skip cut outer 4 on lap two and pulled off the power, knowing that Dago had to beat him by 16 seconds to win. Really a great race to watch. Sept Fury must have had a problem because Mike was never really a factor. After the race, the bear was covered in hydraulic fluid underneath. The leading edges of Sept Pop's red wings were "sandblasted" down to the primer in places due to the 400 knot rain. The entire west end of the course was in a rain shower for the race. Have to give the Bear guys credit here, John had the power not just to stay with Dago, but to almost pass on the first lap. I wonder what effect the cold temps have on the two racers? Dago's prop was really buzzing in the cold air. Great race, and congrats to the Bear team. To go from pulling silver out of the cuno screen on Monday to winning on Sunday with the same motor is flat amazing!

-Ken

Race5
09-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks Triever for the quick report!! It's been confirmed on RARA's website. Any other results? Did Warlock win the T-6 Gold?

Race 29
(wearing my Warlock shirt, drinking from my Rare Bear coffee mug!)
Warlock won!!!! Woooo HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Section3guy
09-19-2004, 09:03 PM
yes warlock won with mary in the two of hearts right on his tail nice race. and the bear and dego was i awesome site. what a race!!!!!i heard the news walking with my family (well my son did the big bear fan) i thought it was a joke till i heard them say it. good job bear.bad job rara at least tell us the race was being moved up a hour. i all most missed the race.(ran all the way back to the stands) i missed the sept fury pass that bear made i heard i was pretty fast.

Kevin L
09-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Anyone know what the race speeds were?

paintboy
09-19-2004, 09:27 PM
I know Dago Red's race speed was 469 and some change. The weather was extremely marginal with nearly half the course engulfed in rain showers. Visability was very difficult with many pilots saying pylon 8 was most difficult to line up on. It was one of the most esciting races I have seem in a great while. How the Bear crew got that performance out of an otherwise sick racer ( Blower reduced to jewelry and other mechanical issues) I will never know. The speeds were slower than the rest of the previous days with weather conditions being the greatest factor. This was truely one for the books!! :thumbsup:

Dave

Unregistered
09-19-2004, 09:49 PM
good job bear.bad job rara at least tell us the race was being moved up a hour. i all most missed the race.(ran all the way back to the stands

what was rara s'posed to do - send you a telegram?

claylemon
09-19-2004, 09:49 PM
This was truely one for the books!!

And I couldn't make it this year.:mad:

Congrats to the whole Rare Bear team. I hope to be there next year. :D

Clay

Unregistered
09-19-2004, 10:56 PM
I was only able to make it Saturday and saw the Dago dominate the field in the pole qualifier race...But i'm ecstatic to hear that theBear won. Aweome job guys, they deserve it. We hit a lot of showers on the way back to the bay area, about 38 degrees in some areas...especially driving through tahoe and out through placerville. Weather was prety unusal too - good racing though!

btw-did it seem to anyone that the crowds had diminished from previous years? Was it just me or did it seem like there was less hype, and less fan-fare? Perhaps it was just me...

Scott Sobczak

Victor Archer
09-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Here ya go, racing in the rain.
At one point it was so cold I couldn't feel my fingers.
The sun did come out... just as they all landed...arg... burrrrrrr...

First time Juke
09-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Way to go Bear ! :thumbsup:

rgds,

Juke

Rob R
09-20-2004, 05:14 AM
So the Bear Wins on a Tech. :dunno:

But could it have won or even caught Red me's think not all week they had some sort of mystery engine problem but I never read heard or say anything that really explain what was wrong witht the Bear. :confused:

As for the weather guys quite crying about some overcast and winds the show I was at we had Down Poors all day on Sat. and Sunday we had real low soup and most of the stuff is sitting still on the ramp. Has their been a Reno ever rain out? :1zhelp:

I would like to see them run the Gold again and really see if the Bear is the winner. :D Ah the good old days when their was Racing around the Country.

Cheers RR

Unregistered
09-20-2004, 08:01 AM
Congratulations to Team Rare Bear!

Rob R. From one of the guys that lost on a tech, I congratulate Team Rare Bear, I also congratulate John Penney who saw the pylon cut and at that point knew all he had to do was fly a good course not cut a pylon himself, and stay within a few seconds for the win. This is called smart racing boys, and yes even though I have been involved heavily with Team Rare Bear in the past, and even though my Dad owns the Team and airplane. I have been an integral part of the Mystery Aire/Dago Red engine building team for the past four years and my desire was for them to win. well, Smart racing prevailed. The object in racing is to win, sometimes knowing how the rules work to your advantage can help achieve that goal. After John saw Skip cut the pylon he knew he did not have to risk beating on the engine to get around the Dago, he just had to hold on to win. Personally as I have said in the past When the Bear is running right it can not be beat, Well the Boys on the team found the "Wright" can of whoopass this day good job guys.
John Slack

Section3guy
09-20-2004, 08:08 AM
does any one know (not that it matters) but what pylon was cut i heard that #8 was imposable to see unless you were right on it? :dunno:

Race 29
09-20-2004, 09:32 AM
I believe it was pylon 4 on lap 2.

Rob R.,
I read that John Penny saw that Dago cut the pylon (he had the best seat in the house) so all he had to do was stay closer than 12 seconds behind Dago. I think that's pretty smart considering what an engine rebuild would cost if he pushed the speed up and (potentialy) blew the engine. Bottom line, Bear wins and gets the trophy and prize money, and everyone's healthy enough to fly home. I didn't read about any maydays, so it looks like it was a great year!

Race 29

f15hoss
09-20-2004, 11:24 AM
I was there as the lead pilot of the Oregon Air Guard F-15's doing the noon fly by. I also am a friend of John Penny, and spoke to him after the race. He rapidly closed from the 3rd position to just on Dago's tail in the first lap. He saw Dago cut pylon 4 on lap 2 and backed off. He said that the Bear was performing well and he felt he had plenty of power left to pass if he needed to. He talked to his crew and decided to not push the engine if it wasn't required. He actually faded back a bit and then closed again on Dago, showing that he could accelerate if needed.

THE BEAR IS BACK!

BTW: Did everybody enjoy the Eagles on Sunday? We were getting 8 to 8.5 G's in the pattern.

IN THRUST WE TRUST!

Gary Osif
09-20-2004, 11:28 AM
You guys did a fantastic job! :thumbsup:

Gary

paintboy
09-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Skip,

We loved what we saw from the press trailer at the end of the hangers. You guys made all of us photographers on the trailer vary happy with each pass. Sunday was the best!! We wanted one of you to go between the Red Bull pylons. I guess the C-130 pilot did not get permission to take the Herc around the course. We had made a request earlier that morning. Hats off to all you guys!!!!!!! Thanks. :thumbsup: :D

Dave

f15hoss
09-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Dave/All,
Do any of you have any good pic's of our formation on Sunday? I was flying lead, and I retire from the Air Force next week--it was a very special day for me. I was in A/C 129. Plus, I finally convinced the Air Boss to let us tear up the pattern and spray noise on everyone! We were actually throttling back at the departure end before our closed pulls to keep from over-g'ing the jet (9 G's).

My wife was in the stands, but just sat and watched...didn't even think to get out her camera!

Here's a shot from the #2 position on Friday:

Ron101502
09-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Skip, you guys were **** hot! As an old F-4 driver, I really envy you. Believe me, you WILL miss it-that German F-4 brought tears to my eyes but it's a bucket of crap (obviously) compared to the F-15. Consider yourself lucky, even though you had to work hard to get there, that you had the chance to serve our country in such a fashion, and thanks for doing it.

Ron Henning
Happy Rare Bear "Fan Sponsor"

XAR Nut
09-20-2004, 05:18 PM
Huge congrats to the bear team. Soooooo glad to see them succeed. I was only able to make it Saturday and hit some snow/rain coming back to the bay area through tahoe. Fun weekend!

Ron101502
09-20-2004, 06:05 PM
For those that don't know about the Bear's problems this week, I was lucky enough to hear John Penney recall the situation between last Sat and Friday night at the "fan Sponsor" party. When John flew the Bear last Sat and Sun it seemed the ignition and carb problems were finally behind them. They had finally found someone who could build cylinders with valve guides to their specs and replace the ones that went bad last year, and had 2 spare front and rear jugs on hand.

John went out on the course with Skip on Monday and said Skip was going very slow in Dago. John called for the clock and was very disappointed with the line he flew as well as the altitude management (qualifying laps are flown on a constant descent which is why race laps are slower) and felt he left about 10 knot "on the table". He was surprised that Skip beat his time but figured he'd try again on Tuesday. But, on the post flight, the crew found metal in the screens.

Was it silver (master rod bearing) or something else? They took a sample to an "expert" in Reno who said it was aluminum. He was wrong (charge them $275) and sent the crew on a wild goose chase. The only aluminum is from the pistons so they scoped through the plug holes and found no damage. So they pulled a front and rear jug to scope the bottoms of the pistons for skirt damage (a source of a rumour on this forum) and found none. So they thought it must be old debris that broke loose and were thinking about running up the engine to check to screens again. Good thing they didn't.

Lyle had an elderly gentleman in his 80s or 90s whose name I can't recall flown in who had spend a good portion of his life with the Wright 3350. He took one look at the metal from the screens and said it was the blower drive-don't run the engine. The crew pulled off the blower drive and, as you can see from the pics I posted Friday night, that it was all done. Lyle said the engine was close to destruction.

New parts were delivered to the crew a 2 am (Tom Dwelle offered the parts off Critical Mass if needed-what a great guy!), they were installed and the engine was run. The screens showed a lot less metal and what there was was safe to run, so John test flew Thursday and there was even less metal. They decided on a conservative power setting for the Friday race, and the screens were almost clean but another exhuast valve guide from one of the old jugs went bad (low compression), so yet another all-nighter by the crew (who had only about 2 hrs sleep each night from Mon to last night) was required to change the jug. It requires break in time and John flew a little before the Friday race and a quick check showed no metal but it was decided to run conservative again (obviously I am now past John's Friday night dissertation and am repeating what I heard from other crew members) and the airplane came back clean. They changed the iginition harness and other iginiton parts Sat night and test flew early Sunday. They then decided what power setting to run (this was dry, no nitrous oxide as they stell have 9 old jugs with questionable valve guides), and the rest, as they say, is history. Going back to Friday night, Lyle said he was pretty sure that they would have to settle for another second place, but was determined to "run right" and not damage anything so they can come back next year. And, not to repeat what others have said on this forum, the Bear may have been able to when even without the penalty, but she is still not quite as strong as she was in 1991, but next year - LOOK OUT!..

Also, remember that useing the "old" course measurements, Dago has never beaten Lyle's race record or lap record. And for the unofficial straight line 3k record Dago set at 533, remember 3 of the 4 passes Lyle made in the Bear were over 540, and that was with the 4 blade prop she has now.

The crew was magnificent, going without sleep, sometimes without food, and sometimes even working a "day Job" to get this done. One crewman told me "Nobody could ever pay us enough to do this", which is why, at least this time, persevearance, dedication, and a little luck overcame cubic dollars in the race for the Gold.

And check out what Skip Holm said in today's Reno Gazette Journal (www.rgj.com)-"If any body thinks Rare Bear is NOT the fastest airplane out here, they better think again".

Ron Henning

Bear Wrench
09-20-2004, 06:18 PM
So the Bear Wins on a Tech. :dunno:

But could it have won or even caught Red me's think not all week they had some sort of mystery engine problem but I never read heard or say anything that really explain what was wrong witht the Bear. :confused:

As for the weather guys quite crying about some overcast and winds the show I was at we had Down Poors all day on Sat. and Sunday we had real low soup and most of the stuff is sitting still on the ramp. Has their been a Reno ever rain out? :1zhelp:

I would like to see them run the Gold again and really see if the Bear is the winner. :D Ah the good old days when their was Racing around the Country.

Cheers RR

Yes..the Bear really is the winner, and it sure the hell wasn't on any "technicality". We were on Dago like White On Rice, with (finally!) all sytems running great! This teams taken a lot of crap over the years about lost horespower, do we need to send out a search party for it, etc, etc. Well, guess what we found it in a big way, and it was there for us to call on it if we had to, whether Skip cut the pylon or not.
Every racer has it's gremlins, with the winshield fogging issue having been one of Dago's in the past. That's all part of racing. **** happens. Everything has to work perfectly to make these babies go 100%. For us, everything fell into place on Sunday. Would Skip still have cut the pylon if we weren't all over him like a cheap suit those first couple laps? Maybe, maybe not.
The bottom line is this team NEVER gave up when the chips were down and all the naysayers lined up and said it couldn't be done. That perserverance made all the difference in the world, and makes this victory all the more sweeter. My hat's off to all the members of the Bear team...may this be the first of many more barn burner unlimited gold races to come!!

The Bear is Back!! :thumbsup:

Stacy Thomas

PS: Hey S.G. .....that jewelry in the Bear pit.....it's GOLD jewelry buddy!

Eric
09-20-2004, 06:25 PM
That was one helluva Gold Race! The Bear was all over the backside of Dago. My cousin and I spent alot of time just watching the crew work and you could see how much time the crew spent to get the Bear up and going. That was some of the most loyal dedication I have ever seen!!! Congrats on a most deserved win!!!

Stevo
09-20-2004, 06:34 PM
Hear, hear. One thing I would like to add, anyone that would have taken the time to go down to The Bear cave during Thursday, Bill Hickle was out there all day telling anybody that walked by and was curious what had gone wrong with The Bear and what status was. All you had to do was ask.
Thanks a ton to the whole team for making the fans happy :flag:

Unregistered
09-20-2004, 07:08 PM
So the Bear Wins on a Tech.

no...the Bear wins according to the published rules.

Ron101502
09-20-2004, 07:34 PM
John Penney is not a "speed slinger for hire"-he is a fantastic pilot who has spent a ton of his own money (and accepted the risks) of flying the "people's airplane" in an attempt do something some of us think is a great thing. And I think Skip ( a genuine American war hero and one of the best sticks ever) would agree. No problem that Skip has to earn a living. I have to make my living flying too, and while it is a GREAT sport, it sucks as a profession (or trade, which it really is).

Ron Henning

Ron101502
09-20-2004, 07:41 PM
Stacy-it was clear at the Fan Party how much Lyle, John and the crew love you and wish you could still be there full time. My wife even said if she won some money (she didn't) she would hire you away to work for the Bear full time (as she knows I am absolutley ueseless other than to be a "fan sponsor".)

Ron Henning

Ron101502
09-20-2004, 07:50 PM
I agree about Bill Hickle-I made a total idot out of myself (not hard to do) by asking questions that he anwered with great patience and grace. Most interesting was the 3 vs 4 blade prop. He is the only guy who has been with the Bear as long as Lyle (35 yrs!)

Thanks, Bill!

Ron Henning

paintboy
09-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Skip,

No problem! I can send you a CD of anything you want. Give me an email at david_leininger@yahoo.com. Between what I shot and my colleague we can set you up. Really enjoyed you guys beating up the field. :thumbsup: :D

Dave

Kevin L
09-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Ron, thanks for the extra info on what went on this week at the "Bear Cave". I had been wondering if they had used the nitrous this year. John told me last year at the fan sponsor dinner that they would not use it. They had it "on ice" in the hanger, but did not want to risk the engine. I believe Lyle said they give up around 700 horspower by not using it.

I could not be there this year, but will crawl to Reno next year if I have to. I may just have to get to Nellis this year.

The September Pops/Fury web site had a good daily update on what was going on at Reno. (Many thanks to them for taking the time to do that). They were writing the bear off almost daily. Finally conceding that the Bear is never out of the show until the show is over.

Looking forward to next year......

Kevin Lloyd
Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Firecat
09-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Dave/All,
Do any of you have any good pic's of our formation on Sunday? I was flying lead, and I retire from the Air Force next week--it was a very special day for me. I was in A/C 129. Plus, I finally convinced the Air Boss to let us tear up the pattern and spray noise on everyone! We were actually throttling back at the departure end before our closed pulls to keep from over-g'ing the jet (9 G's).

My wife was in the stands, but just sat and watched...didn't even think to get out her camera!

Skip.......... check your email in the private messages area, we have plenty of pix for you..... great job! Firecat

Kevin L
09-20-2004, 10:04 PM
There was a reference on the September Pops/Fury site to paint damage on the gold racers on sunday due to the weather conditions. Did the Bear suffer any damage from the combination of high speed and heavy rain?

Kevin

AirDOGGe
09-20-2004, 11:38 PM
What a race that was! I thought Dago had made six in a row, until the radio announced that there may be a change in the finish positions....As sad as I felt for Skip having one taken away, it felt great to have John and the bear win for a change...Mr. Penney and the Rare Bear team earned their win all the way to the end!

The weather?

MAN, did I freeze my tail feathers off this year out on the back stretch...When I saw that storm coming down the slope of the mountain behind the grandstands, I was worried that the gold race would be cancelled (if the winds had hit 35 mph, that would have happened). It felt strange to see so much scheduled stuff happen AFTER the unlimited gold race (F-4 flight and the jet race finals)... a new experience for me for sure!

I ended up watching a portion of the unlimited gold race from inside the truck, just popping out when Dago/Bear came close, then jumping back in to thaw & dry out until they came around again.

It was also unusual to watch Steve Hinton lead the racers towards the RENO end of the field on Sunday while positioning them for the air-start, in order to avoid the storm....When they came down the chute, I could not even see them until they were on the track proper, as the low-hanging storm cloud sat right in the middle of the field by that time, and it almost seemed like they were racing around it!

I actually enjoyed the sport class gold race as much as the unlimiteds this year, as the racing action was even closer, with Greenamyer and Parker swapping first place back and forth....At first I thought the Thunder Mustang would simply out-power the Lancair, but Daryl had a suprise for all of us when he took the lead back and started to pull away...Incredible machine, incredible pilot.

P.S....I encountered snow early Monday morning while passing through Truckee on the way back to Calif.....It was only a few inches and was no trouble at all.

Randy Haskin
09-21-2004, 04:29 AM
BTW: Did everybody enjoy the Eagles on Sunday? We were getting 8 to 8.5 G's in the pattern.

500 foot initial and burner closed? Damn, I'd get raped by my ops officer if I was doing that. :)

It did look mighty cool though!

mgbf4u
09-21-2004, 06:47 AM
500 foot initial and burner closed? Damn, I'd get raped by my ops officer if I was doing that. :)

It did look mighty cool though!
I thought the C130 was cool when it took off WITH the wind. I have never seen that before.
But the F15s were hot! People jumping when they flew past. The coolest thing I ever saw was an F16 coming in low, slow and dirty. Clean it up, light the afterburner and go vertical . Clean out of sight in Ft Worth.
I was hoping that F/A 18 would do that.
It wasn't funny when I heard the comment a few times, referring to the combat jets as the best tax dollars we ever spent. I can't imagine some people who would terrorize a group with aircraft like that. They even have now seen demonstrations of the capabilities of these aircraft up close and personal. Yet they persist. Must be politics, I can't believe Randy and his boys would be missing any targets.
:flag: S!

Bear Wrench
09-21-2004, 03:23 PM
Stacy-it was clear at the Fan Party how much Lyle, John and the crew love you and wish you could still be there full time. My wife even said if she won some money (she didn't) she would hire you away to work for the Bear full time (as she knows I am absolutley ueseless other than to be a "fan sponsor".)

Ron Henning

Ron, Thanks alot for the kind words! You know, I'm ecstatic for John Penney, Sharon Coates, the crew and all the loyal Bear fans. But I think the person I'm the most happiest for is Lyle Shelton. He could have pulled chocks on the Rare Bear racing program a long time ago. With all the ups and downs that the team has gone through over the years, he still hung tough and found a way to get the Bear back into the winners circle. Good for him!!

Stacy Thomas

Unregistered
09-21-2004, 03:28 PM
We were between Pylons 6 and 7, and from our vantage point, and video tape replays, it looked like the Bear had passed Dago Red and then it appeared , from afar, that DR accelerated again and repassed the Bear, when in acuality Dago Red cut the pylon to regain the lead.....

It looked like, and times and speeds reflect the suspision that, the Bear and Dago Red both new what happened and while still giving us a great show, the lap times and race speed were reduced just a little. We thought at the time, that the Bear just did not have enough, but now we know that Penney knew he did not have to blow the thing up trying to win.

Did anybody see the Red Bull flight blow thruogh the L-39 Formation???? That was way too scary, and from the extremely urgent voices on the radio, it was very serious.....And I gotta beleive that some pilots had to change their shorts after they landed... And then the chaos in the race control and subsequent FAA tower control.......

BudXXX

Phantom Samurai
09-21-2004, 04:16 PM
First off, congratulations are in order for Lyle Shelton, John Penney and the entire Rare Bear crew. Their effort was Herculean, and having done an engine change this year as well, I can certainly appreciate all they accomplished. I, for one, did not expect them to be running at top form come Sunday, but was pleasantly surprised by the result. Again, hats off to you all.

Now, as for this previously mentioned statement - "Also, remember that useing the "old" course measurements, Dago has never beaten Lyle's race record or lap record." - I believe a point of clarification is in order. It is correct when referring to the old course measurement, but not the old course timing. Even using the old point-to-point method of timing prior to last year, Dago's speed in Unlimited heat 2A on Friday in 2003 was considerably faster than Shelton's average race speed of 481+ in the Gold Final of 1991. Dago's speed using the new course timing was 507+, which translates into approx. 495 mph with the old point-to-point method. In addition, his "hot lap" was clocked at over 512 mph, which would fall somewhere near 499 mph with the old timing. I believe I remember Lyle's "hot lap" from 1991 being somewhere around 487+. Just some food for thought.

TPS

Ron101502
09-21-2004, 04:54 PM
TPS-I re-checked my math and you are correct, I was useing the wrong numbers.

Also, I think the old 9.8 mile course probably favored the planes with higher wing loadings such as the Bear.

Thanks for the correction-sorry for my goof.

Ron Henning

mgbf4u
09-22-2004, 07:04 AM
Dave/All,

I got a pretty good one of you.

Victor Archer
09-22-2004, 09:03 AM
hhmmmm, this thread is going in diffrent directions.

I think we need an Eagle only thread.
Here's some fav's from Friday.

T. Adams
09-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Victor your killing me here. The closeup shot is unreal. It looks like your in the jet next to him. What shutter speed? The EXIF data did not transfer on this one.

Bill@Interstell
09-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Victor,

I agree, you got fantastic shots this year.
You da man!!! :thumbsup:

mgbf4u
09-23-2004, 01:26 PM
Victor your killing me here. The closeup shot is unreal. It looks like your in the jet next to him. What shutter speed? The EXIF data did not transfer on this one.
Some people were walking around with some nice lenses on there 35MM SLRs. Puts my Sony DSC F707 to shame but I was happy for the most part. I have got some decent shots considering it's digital. I'll share what I have with anyone else who is willing to share. I have about 700 MBs of Digital stuff.

Scotty G
09-23-2004, 10:51 PM
PS: Hey S.G. .....that jewelry in the Bear pit.....it's GOLD jewelry buddy!

And it looks mighty fine on the boys... I was the first over there to congratulate them! Job well done.