Pics from Saturday's racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics from Saturday's racing

It went from blue skies on Friday to grey skies on Saturday. Sunday's forecast is calling for some rain which made Saturday my last day at the races. The weather service was saying that there would be snow down to the 6000 foot level overnight and not wanting to get stuck on the east side of the Sierra's for an extra day we headed for home early. Good luck to all the racers on Sunday.

Rick P.
    Attached Files

Re: Pics from Saturday's racing

More from Saturday
    Attached Files

Comment

Rick great pics. Nice angles. Espesially the shot of Chech Mate. Where did you take them from? Where were you on the field?

Comment

Unreggie,

Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

The shots were taken from a top secret location in Utah. My new telephoto lens really works well.

Rick

Comment

Rick, great shots!

Looks like to me any way they were taken from somewhere in California and not Utah?

Is that the new Hubble adapter your using?
          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

I was bouncing off of the hubble which I had positioned over California.

I think just about everybody knows where I was standing, at least it felt that way. Last year there were about 4 cars there which would swell to 10 during the heat races. This year there at least 15 there most of the day swelling to about 30 by days end.

There was a sign saying that Osage Ave. (the street that runs parallel to the fenceline) was open to local traffic only. There was a core group of folks where I took the shots from, same core as last year, who respected the neighbors and cleaned up after themselves. This year there were a lot more people who weren't necessarily concerned about the trash they left behind. My fear is that the area will be closed off by the local residents.

Comment

Hey Rick, were you one of the photogs I saw lugging around these mondo lenses - was it IS? BTW, I can't see in the exif file what shutter speeds you were using. Thanks for sharing as these would all look great in a poster.

Comment

Hey Les, happy to share and I'm glad you enjoy them.

Hey Rick, were you one of the photogs I saw lugging around these mondo lenses - was it IS? BTW, I can't see in the exif file what shutter speeds you were using.
                Could have been me although I wouldn't call my telephoto a "mondo" lens, although by the end of the day it certainly felt that way. Was it you that I was talking to that had the Rebel?

The lens I was using for all the long shots is a Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6 L lens, and yes it does have two modes of IS. My shutter speeds for most of these shots was either 1/250 or 1/350. The success rate was a bit better at 1/350 than it was at 1/250.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by LesDMess
                  were you one of the photogs I saw lugging around these mondo lenses.
                  If the lenses were bigger than the photographer that would be Tyson
                  http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                  http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Rick,
                    No it wasn't me you were to talking to as I don't have a DSLR, I use an EOS 3 and only have a 70-200 lens. I am new to film and experimented with slow shutter and four different films that I hope to post by the weekend. I also used a 16-35mm in the pit area and reminds me of th joke about going to an airshow with a wide lens . . . ;-)

Comment

Rick, if the person that you are talking about was also asking you how you liked using a monopod that would have been me.
                      Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                      My Photos
                      My Ride

Comment

if the person that you are talking about was also asking you how you liked using a monopod that would have been me.
                        Stevo, I don't think it was me although there was someone that did approach me and ask me how I liked my telephoto. I told him I like it alot.

Unfortunately I forgot my monopod at home and didn't realize it until the Bronze Unlimiteds started to fire up. Since I didn't want to drive the 400+ mile round trip to go get it I used the crowd barrier as something solid to put my camera on during the longer exposures. I even got a few prop circles that Victor would have been proud of.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                        X