rare bear info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rare bear info

Lyle was very gracious and he along with another crewmember explained-at least the public version-of their problem. The crew could not find the source of the metal and were running the engine up when the engine man arrived, ran out to them giving them the "cut" signal. He had thought through every possibility and figured that the most logical source was a gear bearing in the supercharger. Sure enough, that was the problem. Some may recall similar problems several years ago that was cured by an oiling system mod. I asked Lyle if this was the same problem and he said it was similar but that the prior incident started with cylinder problems. I asked if they still had a fix and he was understandably coy-he said they have made several mods over the years. He is a busy man and I did not have time to aske if they knew why this happened and if they can keep it from happening again, but they got a new blower at 2 in the AM and were installing it. From overhearing the comments of the very dedicated and hard working crew, it was clear they were inexperienced in this operation. I'll try to attach a picture that shows the damage but I'm dumb about computers so it may not work.

Ron Henning
    Ron Henning

Re: rare bear info

Thanks Ron, great report!

So I wonder if there was metal in the engine from the blower is it too late? Has the damage been done?

Don

Comment

Thanks for the info, I am sitting here at my computer wishing i was in the nevada desert smelling the familllar smell of race fuel and sagebrush. I have to wait one more day until i can be there, meantime I am glued to my comp and this message board trying to gather all the info I can. I really do hope that the bear is ok. nothing would be finer than the bear and dago pouring around the pilons on sunday!!!!! well ok only one more thing.... if tiger was right there with them!! thanks for the reports ~ chris

Comment

Still trying to upload the damn pictures-show the damage perfectly but can't figure out this computer. The new blower is being istalled and they hoped to run it tonight and fly it tomorrow. but like I said I have no idea if they know why the failure occurred and if they can prevent it from happening again. If you want to see the pictures (I e-mailed them to myself so at least I can do that) drop me a line at Ron101502@aol.com-maybe you can post them (I'm paying a dime a minute for snail email at the silver legacy)

Ron

Also, Precious Metal maydayed but landed under power and they think they can fix it-may have been an overspeed, Miss A pulled power off after leading and finished last but no mayday, and stu eberhart maydayed. Dreadnought won the silver so will go gold tommorrow.
        Ron Henning

Comment

Here is the photo Ron wanted up-loaded.

Don
          Attached Files

Comment

Not to be redundant but...

"Where oil flows, metal goes"

Comment

what a race today wow hell ill say it backwards WOW poor miss A i was rootin for ya
              www.renosection3.com

Comment

Rare Bear ran last night at about 10:00. In ran under some good power and sounded great. I understand it will fly today, so I hope wverything has been sorted out.

Bill Pearce
                Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Re: rare bear Brew?

Where's the Bear Brew this year?

Comment

Hey Gang,

The Bear roared in the middle of the night. I still can't hear!

The Bear DID fly this morning!!! Looked and sounded good!
                    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

That's great news!!!

Thanks for the updates....

Lonnie

Comment

Vic,
                        You sure put in the overtime, Thanks!! Those pictures are great. Those flames are teriffic, I can almost smell the avgas!! Game on!!

Race 29
                        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

looks like a estes engine on a saltine...
                          hello come in and get down...

Comment

Just got of the phone with one of the crew members of the Bear, Rare Bear took second in the Gold heat race today. The crew's pulling her in the hanger to check the cuno, do compression checks, etc. Keep your fingers crossed!!

Stacy Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                              Just got of the phone with one of the crew members of the Bear, Rare Bear took second in the Gold heat race today. The crew's pulling her in the hanger to check the cuno, do compression checks, etc. Keep your fingers crossed!!

Stacy Thomas
                              WHOOO HOOO Stacy! Just a W.A.G, the Dago Red was first... hummn... gonna be an interesting thing to see race times/speeds and, the (drum roll) screens after this one...

That bad ass airplane is a hard mother to kill when she's got an able crew.. She's had able crews in the past, methinks, she's got another good one goin now!

Stace... I'm gonna dig out your old regged name and send it to ya, particularly if you have the same email addy.. I can't remember your name but know you were regged at one time... race77mech or something like that... I'll see what I can do.. otherwise, your messages sit waiting for me or one of the mods to check it for carp and approve it... you deserve better treatment!

One treatment to go Wayner!!!!!!!!

PS.. Stacy, I just had the board send you a "password reminder" has your old username and such went out to a hotmail acct. If you've got the same one, you'll get it and should be able to sign into the board, and leave yourself signed in so you're always "you"....
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X