WOOOHOOOOO Mid-Thurs info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOOOHOOOOO Mid-Thurs info

Blue Thunder won the Sports class race 1A. No official time yet but unofficially..... wow. It is all made possible by ERC Racing Fuels, Hartzell Propellers and Ryan Falconer Racing Engines. And thanks for cheering us on. Blue Thunder ran like a watch and no problems were encountered.

Greenamyer had trouble starting for the race and his engine quit as he was taxiing out. Greenamyer later pulled out with trouble (burned piston maybe). He was in second place, about 10 seconds behind the leader at the time. His crew chief Andy Chivatte (sorry I don't know how to spell his last name) said that they would be back in the air this evening.

NXT is being built up and I have it on good authority that it will taxi under it's own power soon. They will borrow a prop from a former sport race plane that is not racing this year; American Air Racing's Glasair III, Race 300.

I spoke with Patricia and she said that the plane is in good shape, with only three body parts that need replacement: gear door, oil cooler scoop, and wingtip. They are in positive spirits and are a great goup of people.

Pardue in the Bearcat was first across the line in the Unlimited 1C.

There is a biplane that ground looped on landing and is in the infield. Pilot okay. I don't know who it was.

Big Bossman ran with a new tire and no problems.

Rare Bear has what appears (to me) to be the blower section out of the plane. They are working hard and I know that they will be in the air soon.

Bill Pearce

I apologize for any incorrect info.

edit by publisher: Bill's reports are also available, for your convenience, via the links on the front page of the website

CLICK HERE
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Re: WOOOHOOOOO Mid-Thurs info

Thanks for the great info Bill, keep it coming!!!

Comment

Bill... no apology for incorrect info (if there is any) necessary... I know for sure, you're spot on with the Rare Bear and NemesisNXT, though I don't think they are gonna try to race.. but, then.... things change momemt to moment in racing don't they! Sounds like maybe some second place $$ might be easy pickins for them if they press on????

Fantastic news about Blue Thunder! "Papa John" deserves the win! (yea, he's gonna kill me for the Pappa thing, but I'm up here and by the next time he sees me, he'll have forgotten)

Btw.... totally off topic, my treatment has finally made me forget how to type??? Go figure... they said I might have some numbness in my fingers, I can feel em but they don't quite know where to go.. which really sucks because, my eyes don't know where the keys are, which makes it REALLY tough to type unless it just all comes back.. as it just did with this paragraph... strange tho... it comes and goes.. just can't figure out where my fingers go...

Good work Billy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Any info on the cause/resolution of the NXT Gear failure...mechanical problem??? design flaw ???

Comment

Thanks for the update.

I just hate living here and not being able to get out to Stead. Company changed our work schedule last week, and it's really made a mess of things.

LP

Comment

Regarding NXT's gear failure...
            I talked with a team member yesterday who indicated the failure was of a small purchased (commercial off-the-shelf) part that was not be "up to spec." The same part also failed on the right main gear, causing it to collapse as well. So, no, it wasn't a design failure. To some degree, it reminds me of the gear problems that Tsunami had, until discovering that a heat-treated gear part had not been heat treated (IF my memory serves...).
            NXT will rise like the Phoenix, and be just as hot.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris
              Regarding NXT's gear failure...
              I talked with a team member yesterday who indicated the failure was of a small purchased (commercial off-the-shelf) part that was not be "up to spec." The same part also failed on the right main gear, causing it to collapse as well. So, no, it wasn't a design failure. To some degree, it reminds me of the gear problems that Tsunami had, until discovering that a heat-treated gear part had not been heat treated (IF my memory serves...).
              NXT will rise like the Phoenix, and be just as hot.
              Fly kid Chris is right on the money!

Greenamyer and company are working on their prop. The governor failed and damaged the prop. They are fixing the prop in the American Air Racing shop. How about that folks, the top guy helping the number two guy fix his plane. That is air racing in my book. I have no doubt that Greenamyer will be up tomorrow, and charging hard. What I don't know is if we can hold him off. We went 344 mph in heat 1A today.

Also, Unlimited heat 1A was awesome!!!! I think Marauder61 will get some pics up soon. Dreadnought was first to cross the line followed by closely Spirit of Texas.

Bill Pearce
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
              X