Thinning out here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinning out here

Ahh.. I can almost smell he avgas and burning oil, hear the rumbling, caughing engine starts!

It's always been this way. Early in the week, we'd set up the computer and begin to throw out whatever information we could gather, to an eager "throng" of race fans absolutely chewing at the rope, still at home, wishing they could leave, counting down the seconds until planned departure times arrived...

The visitation rate here on the site always reflected this, lots of folks, hungry for info hitting the site many times an hour... then it reverses....

IT'S TIME TO GO!!!!!!!

By now on Wednesday, many of you are actually on the way to Reno Stead, flying, driving, combination of both, but you're on your way, the faithful on the annual pilgrimage, IT'S RENO TIME BABY!!!!!!

What's different for me, this year?? In year's past, as the traffic dropped on the web site, the human traffic at the physical site (reno stead) steadily grew. More of you would stop by the hangar and say hello, there was more going on, the Warlock party was pending tonight... Life was GOOD!

This year, I'm not there, I'm here, watching from afar, itching for info, wanting more, give me pit cam, cockpit cam, hat cam.... any cam!!! I want info!

I truly pity those who can not go, either this year or last or any of the years of racing at Reno Stead, it is truly torture, truly!

With this rambling message I ask you one favor, I know some of my close buds are already doing it... when you sip that cold nectar, be it a beer, a coke or anything in-between, think about those of us who can't make it but want to so bad we can taste it!

To ALL who have shown me such sweetness and love in messages of support, I will never be able to respond in a way that is worthy of the wonderful words and thoughts you have sent my way. I am sure that as I near the end of my treatment and begin my long healing process, your thoughts and words will be there making the process faster and more effective.

Much love has been shared with me this week and over the past weeks, I simply do not know how to respond but to say a simple.... Thank You!

THANK YOU!
    Wayne Sagar
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Thinning out here

Keep the info coming Wayne! We won't be leaving for Reno till Friday morning.

I'll be checking for info till then.

Thank you for the effort you put in to provide us with the news.

Steve
    Rachel, Nevada

Comment

Best wishes for a fast recovery. I understand your thrust for info - you've been my only link for the last two years while I went through 40+ hours or surgery to try to reconstruct a shattered ankle. Mine is simply a nuscence - but, kept me from walking around Stead a couple of years. This year, we're gona try it on Sunday.

Has anyone reported any qualification info on Dan Martin / Ridge Runner (Race 20)? A comment was made in one of the emails about "Ridge Runner running like a wild boar" - - but, he wasn't listed as qualifing?? I know he was running great when he went over our house with the new race eng last week.

Thanks - and again - get well soon - you are missed.

Comment

Hey Wayne,
        You want a T-shirt or somethin man? I live in portland, so it wouldn't be too hard to get it to yah. (I used to work for the same company as your brother.) Anyway, I will gladly tip a few to you. I'm 27 years old I have have been to 23 airraces. Its a big deal to me when I dont get to make it. I had to threaten to quit my job in order to get the time off this year!!
        My Heart goes out to you. I know you love this stuff as much as I do. Im off for stead tommorow morning, My thoughts will be with you when I can get a second to think about anything else then the spectacle in front of me. Thanks for everything you do here.
        James Hancock

Comment

Yes Wayne thanks for all the informative news on whats' really going on at the track. It hard these days to get people to tell the real story. Some of the posts really don't tell the real story. Emotion sometimes taints the message. You have set the bar of excellence for everyone else to go by. Keep up the good work....Hope to see you on the ramp and let you in on some great news this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson
            Yes Wayne thanks for all the informative news on whats' really going on at the track. It hard these days to get people to tell the real story. Some of the posts really don't tell the real story. Emotion sometimes taints the message. You have set the bar of excellence for everyone else to go by. Keep up the good work....Hope to see you on the ramp and let you in on some great news this weekend.
            Matt, I do try, though I'm as guilty as everyone , sometimes..

This year, I'm not there, so I'm dependent on news, for instance, about the Bear by talking with the crew and the team spokesperson and reporting what they tell me.

Something I learned early on is that crews will "fib" to fans/reporters, it's sort of part of the "game" they'll fib a lot more and tell you a lot BS if you get a reputation of "printing everything you hear"... I've always tried to NOT do that... Trust me, it's hard to not just "go to press" when someone hands you a tasty "scoop"... but.... a guy can wind up bitten real quick and then nobody's gonna tell you anything or listen to what you have to say about anything...

Now, I could be totally all wet about the Bear this year.. I don't think so, because I trust the people who are feeding me my info.. Though sometimes, at the time I wrote stuff over the last few days, the crew themselves might not have been sure just *what* was wrong but, they were pretty sure it was not what some folks were thinking/saying...

Anyway... thanks Matt, I'm not gonna be on the ramp this year tho... you'll have to show me whatcha got via email or sumptin.. I'm grounded for the year...

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
              Hey Wayne,
              You want a T-shirt or somethin man? I live in portland, so it wouldn't be too hard to get it to yah. (I used to work for the same company as your brother.) Anyway, I will gladly tip a few to you. I'm 27 years old I have have been to 23 airraces. Its a big deal to me when I dont get to make it. I had to threaten to quit my job in order to get the time off this year!!
              My Heart goes out to you. I know you love this stuff as much as I do. Im off for stead tommorow morning, My thoughts will be with you when I can get a second to think about anything else then the spectacle in front of me. Thanks for everything you do here.
              James Hancock
              Thanks James, I'll take you up on tipping a few and thinkin about me but the T's, I got a "thing" about shirts... I don't ever "buy" them... I like to trade, I mean.... that's sort of a 'broad' term but I like to trade, let's say favors for shirts... they mean a lot more to me that way..

I remember you working where my bro does.. he's trying to get out of there also...

Wayne
              PS... I continue to receive messages of support from visitors to this board.. I'm quite overwhelmed, I must admit... I really don't know how to thank you all enough for the extra healing power that your support sends my way... THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,
                I won't be making it to Reno this year either. It is about to drive me nuts trying to get as much info as I can. I'm also missing the smells and sounds of race week.

Any further news on the "Bear"? I remember last years friday night cookout at the bear cave and the tired looking crew giving it their all to keep her in the race.

Wish you the best in all of your treatments. Look forward to seeing you in Reno again next year.

Kevin Lloyd

Comment

Wayne,

Great to see you back in the game, even if it is remotely. I think I speak for many of us out here when I say we were worried when you were away for so long.

I'm heading east over I-80 tommorrow afternoon and am anxiously looking forward to three days worth of aviation excitement. I've had the photo gear ready to go for over a week now, batteries charged, memory cards blanked, and lenses cleaned. I may not be able to drink a cold one in your honor (have the yungin with me) but I will promise to snap a few pictures for ya.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RidgeRunnerFAN

Has anyone reported any qualification info on Dan Martin / Ridge Runner (Race 20)? A comment was made in one of the emails about "Ridge Runner running like a wild boar" - - but, he wasn't listed as qualifing?? I know he was running great when he went over our house with the new race eng last week.
                    Dan Martin has 5th fast time. See the Wed. Final Qual list.

20 D. Martin 446.006

Comment

Re: Thinning out here (another Ridge Runner FAN)

Ridge Runner fan [from Milpitas],

Just got of the phone with my neighborhood, He’s a close (my neighbor) friend to Danny Martin and a pit crew member. Ridge Runner qualified Wednesday for the Unlimited reace; speed at 446mph. The radiator cooler [door] was left open, which indicated they could have done better, speed wise. They are the 5th fastest aircraft for the Unlimited GOLD Race. My neighbor also tells me that RARE BEAR is [strong chance] out of the race. Also, the winds are picking up (threatening the races).

Comment

My neighbor also tells me that RARE BEAR is [strong chance] out of the race. Also, the winds are picking up (threatening the races).

Just got of the phone with my neighborhood

I didn't know that the neighborhood could talk?

As usuall, the reports of the Bears exit from the races are greatly exaggerated and premature.

As for mother nature, she will do what she pleases and everyone will just have to deal with it.

Comment

Without going on a limb in either direction (will race, will not race) I can tell you with complete confidence that at reno, information and misinformation passes around faster than the airplanes it's usually informing about.

The official word is, the blower drive had a problem, it made some metal, from all that can be seen via scoping, flushing, magic little men that walk the oil gallys with little tiny flashlights, the metal made, stayed in the screens, they did not fill, they did not bypass.

Some of the best minds that have ever worked on that motor are in agreement that it should be OK to run her... someone's going to have to have the confidence in those smart guys, confidence that they are right, or he's not going to risk his butt and the rest of his days with his beloved wife, daughters and new little buddy, granddaughter...

Now, since we have reliable word that the airplane flew this AM and that all appeared clean, and in the green... all of this speculation about this and that being wrong just might be, well... vapor man... warm stuff that hangs around for a short time and blows away on the wind...

Today, Saturday an Sunday's racing results are the only hard evidence anyone's gonna get outta Reno for now... Watch for em, if you're there, listen close to the Bear motor, I'm bettin that a little "whine" that some have heard for a while is gone and that the airplane will fly fast, straight and high..

If all I'm told is true, congratulations to a fantastic team who, once again, proved they have what it takes to run a race operation. Late hours, sleeping in bits or not at all, working all night long and longer. Been there with them, watched them do it and did my best to help, at the very least, keeping them awake with my 90w coffee..

Can't wait for Sunday! Wish I could be there!!!!!!!

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayners,
                            Thanks for setting the record straight! A few people seemed a little quick to sink the blade into the Bear, but you and a few others continued to hold the torch. Usually when a hiccup is catostrophic, the crew knows it, and announces it pretty early. Since the Bear crew never gave up, that lead me to strongly believe it would be worked out. The Bear crew is an emmensly talented group, congratulations to them! It's time to go racing. The paradox applies, the fat lady is singing but the show has just begun!

Race 29
                            Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
                              ,The paradox applies, the fat lady is singing but the show has just begun!

Race 29
                              Ahh.. Two niner... did you just call the BearKitty "fat".....

Dunno, but you could be in serious trouble mate...

Wayne
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X