NemesisNXT Damaged in Off Runway Incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NemesisNXT Damaged in Off Runway Incident

This just in from Bill Pearce on the field at Reno Stead. At approx 11:43 hrs, Jon Sharp experienced a left main gear collapse and subsequent off runway excursion.

No word on condition of aircraft but Jon appears to be unhurt.

Details to follow...
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: NemesisNXT Damaged in Off Runway Incident

Sad news

I'm glad to here John is ok.
    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Bummer, but glad he is OK. I got a call just a few minutes ago as well. I guess he was timed by spectators at around a 1:10 lap on the sport course, which about 326.
      ~Jim

Comment

The biggest concern would be a prop strike and a bent crank. Although, they have Lycoming in their corner and an engine change shouldn't be too hard. Is there a spare prop? The airframe should only have cosmetic scrapes, assuming no rocks or runway lights were involved....
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
          The biggest concern would be a prop strike and a bent crank. Although, they have Lycoming in their corner and an engine change shouldn't be too hard. Is there a spare prop? The airframe should only have cosmetic scrapes, assuming no rocks or runway lights were involved....
          Except that he had a single main gear collapse. That could cause considerable damage to that wing if it came down hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
            I would think that the real issue would be the integrity of the wing. Sometimes you can't see the damage to composite material 'inside'. Depending on how hard the wing was pranged, it might take more than just slapping some glass over the top and make it look good 'cosmetically'.

Just my .02 (having done a lot of work with composites)

Comment

Are the wings bonded solid to the fuse, or might John have another wing the can "throw" on her?

Comment

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  Are the wings bonded solid to the fuse, or might John have another wing the can "throw" on her?
                  The wing is not removable as it's bonded.

Comment

Does anyone know if the team is making repairs and is therefore going to try and make the race by friday?

Comment

There was talk today that they were trying to repair NXT.....but, only to get it home...not to race.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        Does anyone know if the team is making repairs and is therefore going to try and make the race by friday?
                        Unregg... that's really quite a good question actually... I made the assumption that since they abandoned their pit, that they were done.. they may, in fact, have gone somewhere, where the tools necessary to make the repairs are located... Though I doubt it, it is a possibility. I put in a call to them today and not suprisingly, did not get a return call...

God I wish them luck and hope they could actually perform the miracle and get it back in the show!

Wayne
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I have seen another thread somewhere that they will not make repairs at Reno, just pack it up and get it home.

Comment

By mid-day NXT was back in the sport class hangar with the prop being pulled off, and other work being done. They said a new motor and prop was going to be hung and they would make repairs so that they could get it home as soon as possible. Probably next week.

Comment

NXT has a new engine on her and is being ready for the flight home, which is a ways off. The team is working on the plane in the Sport Class hangar (Era).

Bill Pearce
                              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
                              X