Zero Heading to Reno!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero Heading to Reno!!!

A little bird told me that the Tri-State Zero (Gerry Beck & Co) will be winging it's way to Reno this weekend to take part in the Rolls Royce Heritage Trophy judging....
    Another reason I will spend next week banging my head against the wall, cursing the money I spent on beer last winter, that I could have used to get to Reno!

Re: Zero Heading to Reno!!!

What is the Tri-State Zero?

Comment

That ought to be a site. Is it the real thing or a replica?
      Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

It's this one.

See the Fargo Air Museum Web page for details....
        Fargo Air Museum is a non-profit museum dedicated to promoting aviation through education, preservation and restoration. A North Dakota favorite location for wedding, private & corporate event rental in Fargo.

Comment

Link doesnt work for me. As RareBearFAn asked, is it the real deal or a replica?

Comment

Real Deal. Recovered from the Solomons.
            From the web site.
            The Japanese Navy Type Zero Carrier-Based Fighter which will one day be on display at the Fargo Air Museum is an A6M2 Model 21, serial number 6544, tail code AI-1-129, owned and being restored by Gerald Beck of Wahpeton, ND. The official Japanese Naval Air Force designation of this aircraft is Rei Shiki Kanjo Sentoki Ni Ichi Gata (Type Zero Carrier-Based Fighter Model 21).

I do not believe a replica would be allowed to enter the RR Heritage Compeitition...

Comment

Excellent!!...looking foward to seeing it NEXT WEEK!!!! WAHOO!!

Comment

Wasn't the "replica" Zero that the Museum of Flying had a remanufactured hulk, much like Brooklyn Bum 2nd and the Price bf109E?

What is a replica is a bit of sticky business, but I should think paperwork would be the main criteria. The new build Yaks and Focke Wulfs are definitely not original airplanes, they are new.

The Zero here is an original wartime combat veteran.

Dave Passannante is bringing his 1935 B-17R #38 Beechcraft to the RR Cup. This airplane is the replacement for the Loffland Brothers Oil Company Beech 17R. This ship has a long history of provenance relating to the development of the Model 17, and was flown by Eddie Ross for the Loffland's and Walter Beech during the development of the D, E and F model wing configuration. This airplane will compete for the Wright trophy in the 1935 and prior period.

Anyone else know about interesting entries in the RR Heritage Cup?

Chris...

Comment

I don't recall, but wasn't the Hughes replica racer entered in the RR Heritage Compeitition?

Comment

Despite what the web site may say I believe the Tri-State Zero is in most every respect a replica. At least that is what the guy that built it said it was!

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                      I don't recall, but wasn't the Hughes replica racer entered in the RR Heritage Compeitition?
                      As a replica, the H1 was not allowed in the competition for the main trophy. It was, however, allowed to compete in "the people's choice" category....

I don't think the rules were totally understood by all, there was some "controversy" the airplane did not win the award....

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yeah,
                        The thing about airplanes is that they corrode. In the eyes of the FAA and most everyone else, if it has paperwork and some portion of the original airplane, it is that airplane.

The replica term can be attached to most anything I suppose. Stan at Yanks Air Museum at Chino used to call the Planes of Fame airplanes replicas because of the lack of/difference in original equipment. Just becuase he said it doesn't make it so.

And just because the builder says it doesn't make it so either. There is a definition to what constitutes an original compared to a replica, which is what the matter should be about.

Fighter Rebuilders just restored the P-39Q Brooklyn Bum 2nd and I saw a lot of original airplane left on the floor. It has to be airworthy so you have to replace the bad stuff. This concept is nothing new.

I would like to know more about the airplane though. It is great to have a flying combat veteran Zero around.

Chris...

Comment

Here is an article on the "Blayd Zero" which shows what they started with. As far as I can tell most of the original parts were used for patterns and not incorporated into the actual airplane. I still say it's a replica.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                            Here is an article on the "Blayd Zero" which shows what they started with. As far as I can tell most of the original parts were used for patterns and not incorporated into the actual airplane. I still say it's a replica.
                            http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/zero.htm
                            After seeing that information I'd like to know what percentage of original
                            parts are actualy in the airplane.
                            "combat veteran" what percentage of which plane makes it a combat veteran? the plane is mainly copies from at least 6 different airframes.
                            http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                            http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

The oroginal WWII warbirds (both Japanese and American) were built for a service life of five years. Combine that with accelerated destructive envirnoments such as the South Pacific and you have a situation which would result in no flying warbirds.

The Tri-State/Blayd Zero does contain original parts and using some components and archival material from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries rebuilt some components.
                              So does it contain some modern manufactured component using the original techniques? - yes.
                              Does it contain original components sourced from Balalae Island? - Yes.

So it a replica? No more any other plane which has been serviced and has parts replaced.

Comment

Working...
                              X