Formation flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formation flying

So, we are just west of Seattle heading south. A formation of 3 Yaks just passed us and are maybe 1000 feet ahead, and a little to the right. Not one, but two Cessnas cross between us and the YAKs at the same altitude heading west bound. We saw them in plenty of time, so there was no real danger, but..............sure was something to see 5 airplanes in the windscreen all within spitting distance.......

I hope Kraz posts some of his photos. The GoW was simply awesome this year. At one point, we were standing beside an idling Wildcat, A P-51 was just firing up right behind him, and at the same moment, a Bearcat and a T-28 pass overhead in impeccable formation....where to look? where to look?? Warbird overload!! Naw...loved every moment of it!!!!!!!
    the other Wayne................

GofW

Yes, the Gathering of Warbirds was simply fantastic this year. The turn-out of planes was great and a good size mob of spectators to boot--it is nice to see such support and interest continue to grow! It was also good to meet a fellow AAFO board member--hope your flight back north was less eventfull GWB!!

The morning started off with the usual NW overcast and haze, though, by afternoon the sun had broken through and it actually turned out quite nice--as evident by my sunburn. I did get some great shots which I will try to compile and post some time soon (though I am running behind and still haven't posted the IAC pics from last month!)

Kraz
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Kraz...it was great to meet you

That sooper camera of yours does some mighty fine work!! Can't wait to see the rest!

For the rest of you, this wasn't really an airshow, in that there were no aerobatics as such, and no dead line! The spectators could get right up to the aircraft - although they asked us to move back 20' when they started up.....and their "circuits" -particularly the P-51 American Beauty -took them directly over the crowd! Awesome....

The trip back was relatively quiet, and the scenery was incredible without all that low scud obscuring everything....

Comment

yeah...

But GWB, you left too soon!

With most of the gaggle of warbird from the Cascade Warbird Squadron in Bellingham today, I imagine it will be quiet in OLM, though the museum will likely be flying their Corsair and other a/crft that didn't go up on Saturday. Unfortunately I can not make it for Sunday (I have to get a checkout ride in a 172--yup, "have to"... like they really have to twist my arm or are forcing me to fly!). I did do a cursorary look through my pictures last night and I have about 30 or so to post... when I get a chance (and some more server space!).

Next stop: PRS in not-quite two weeks, then July 10th-14th at Arlington! See ya there!!!

Kraz
        Attached Files

Comment

Actually we did catch them...we meandered back to the plane via the Ice Cream place, so watched the mass departure from the shade of the hanger....That Avenger was awesome - especially considering there is only one pin holding those huge wings in place.

Bellingham was surprisingly quiet when we transited their zone - I guess that everyone was tied down and had gone for dinner by time we got there.......

Arlington is a must do, but unfortunately, we will have to ...ugh...drive there

Comment

Working...
          X