Dave Despain wants an interveiw!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Despain wants an interveiw!!!

I hope some of you unlimited pilots were watching the other night when a caller ask about the Reno Air Races. Despain knew they were coming up and he said he always gives them a little mention. BUT he also said he would like an interveiw with one of the pilots. So if any of you pilots can call Dave. Or if any of you normal folks know any of these pilots get these guys together. Everyone else email Despain ,,,windtunnel@speedtv.com,,,and tell him we want Air Race coverage.

Re: Dave Despain wants an interveiw!!!

Skip should be a guest on that show, he's an interesting individual with tons of stories, he would be a perfect fit. Destafani would too, but being retired would kind of disqualify him.

John

Comment

Personaly, I would be happy to see ANY pilot from ANY class on his show. I mean you can turn on the TV any night and see someone talking about NHRA, NASCAR, Indy, Formula even those tiny little sports car. Where is the Air Race coverage??!! Keep the emails going to Despain, maybe if we can start getting some coverage, the Worlds fastest motorsport will get some of the press these great pilots and teams deserve.

Comment

I just read in the USA Today that ESPN is planning to televise lawnmower races. Thats right LAWNMOWERS!!!!. Boy, if that is not a slap in the face of the fastest motorsport on this planet. The air races can not even get a mention on the popular sports network, but they will proudly show grown men wearing helmets, boots and race clothing while riding their speedy lawnmowers. This is just crazy!!!!! Perhaps we should send messages to ESPN and ask the question why. I simply do not understand it.

Dave

Comment

Don't Make fun of it, I was thinking of entering my John Deer Turbo. LOL.
          Jarrod

Comment

Before I ever came to reno, I used to hear about the air races and think, "SO what?" It didn't seem like such races would be so exciting.

But then one weekend in 1981, a friend/co-worker suggested we go up there for a day or two to check it out. He had heard about it from some friends of ours working in the business next door who had been attending the races for many years.

Needless to say, after one day of seeing the thrills and excitement, I became a regular visitor, and my trips grew in length each year until I was spending the entire week or more in Stead.

The Reno Air Races is just something you have to experience personally to understand why people will travel several hundred, if not thousands of miles to attend. I wish more people would give it a try, but pictures and videos just don't seem to be convincing enough. You have to see, feel, hear and smell it to understand why we do what we do!

Don't Make fun of it, I was thinking of entering my John Deer Turbo. LOL.
            Why lawnmower races are more popular, I don't know. I don't see them mentioned much in California, but if they were local and had vehicles like this one, I'd go:
            Attached Files

Comment

Enjoy and watch your show faithfully;
              Would love to see coverage of the Reno Air Races.
              GO FOR IT DAVE.
              MEEP31

Comment

I posted a lengthy bit about Skip last week on the Wind Tunnel Bulletin Board, I am sure Despain reads that so now he knows who to interview, if he didn't already.

John

Comment

Originally posted by paintboy
                  I just read in the USA Today that ESPN is planning to televise lawnmower races. Thats right LAWNMOWERS!!!!. Boy, if that is not a slap in the face of the fastest motorsport on this planet. The air races can not even get a mention on the popular sports network, but they will proudly show grown men wearing helmets, boots and race clothing while riding their speedy lawnmowers. This is just crazy!!!!! Perhaps we should send messages to ESPN and ask the question why. I simply do not understand it.

Dave

I can shed some light on that fact from my experience in the hydroplane racing world. Unless you are truly a 'big league' stick and ball sport, or part of the NASCAR/IRL/NHRA crowd, ESPN or Speed, or whomever does not pay YOU the rights to broadcast your event.

Anything less than the stuff listed above, and YOU have to pay THEM for the right to have them show it on tv. You pay them a negotiated cost for the time slot you want it shown in, and in return, YOU get to sell the advertising spots for your show.

So if I wanted to have a two-hour long special on competitive toe-nail picking, I could get it on ESPN....provided I can pay for it.

I'm sure lawnmower racing is a blast to watch, just for the sheer fun of it. But I doubt ESPN is broadcasting it because they are looking for killer ratings in return. It just means that whatever organization sanctions the lawnmower racing came up with the clams to BUY their way onto ESPN.

And if you follow that logic, the Reno Air Races aren't on tv because RARA can't/won't/doesn't want to have to pay for that right.

Just my .02

Comment

On that original wind tunnel, Dave Despain said if he couldn't get an interveiw before the races, he would like one after the races. So all you guys that are out there at Reno tell those unlimited pilots to get a hold of Despain. Then hopefully they will be on Wind Tunnel.

Comment

....."Dear Dave" ....is caught like has been said,but is more than interested .....enough to request an interview! (yeah!)

......I have been pursuring Speed TV, and Wind tunnel for at least three years,
                      semiregular emails.......just clips of facts,links to this site (and others)....

.....Dave IS SERIOUS on racing.....he loves almost all motor sports
                      (some more than others)...

.....I guess that leaves us on the spot to get those emails going (enmasse !)
                      and show there is the demographics to support an advertiser's needs,
                      so maybe one will step--up and ggive some cash for coverage.

......ya want it ?.......now do your part.
                      Mayday51
                      Jim Gallagher

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                        Why lawnmower races are more popular, I don't know. I don't see them mentioned much in California, but if they were local and had vehicles like this one, I'd go:
                        I did a seminar on effective e-commerce web content 5-6 years ago and created this page: www.monstermower.com. BTW, it never was live.
                        Attached Files
                        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

I'm just trying to keep this thread alive for one reason. I would love to see any one of these GREAT racers be interveiwed on Wind Tunnel. So somebody PLEASE CALL DESPAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! p.s. if one of the racers is going to be on Wind Tunnel, post it on here so we all can watch.

Comment

Give this info to the racers like Penney and Holm.....Call 1800 866 W Tunnel, there's a voice mail if the show isn't on, leave their number and Despain will call back if he wants to do air racing. I should have contacted people in the pits yesterday but I forgot and I was running on a bout 1hr sleep. Anyway I'm sure people connected are reading this or already know what to do.

John

Comment

If someone can get contact info for John Penny or Skip Holm, call the toll free number and leave a message with the info for Dave. He just mentioned it again on the air again tonight (Mon) and still wants to interview one of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X