Mig 21 for $32,000.00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig 21 for $32,000.00

Yes here is the link to a Mig 21 for sale for $32,000.00,,,some repairs requried. http://www.warbirdrelics.com/mig_21.htm,,,

Re: Mig 21 for $32,000.00

sounds cheap to me.. Even in need of repairs sounds like a bargain for a jet fighter.

Comment

There are actually a surprisingly large number of Mig 21s around. They are insanely expensive to operate and have some serious operating limitations. Operating range is one of them. Small tanks and very thirsty with the afterburner lit. I had a casual friend who was working as a contractor pilot flying 21s in exersises for the Navy. As I remember the company lost a plane and pilot when the engine compressor section failed. When it does it can literally cut the plane in half. There is a 21 at Stead and it has flown as part of the Reno activities a couple of years ago (as I remember). I was really happy to get to see one fly.

If you REALLY want to go fast what you need to chase down a F8 Crusader. There are a few of those in private hands. :-)

Michele

Comment

Interesting!! I was in Poland three years ago installing ground based navigation systems for the Polish Air Force so they can meet the U.S. standards for the F-16 Falcons they will be receiving soon. I was offered two (2) Mig 21PF with all the hardware. They had been in storage since being overhauled at the depot some years before. They showed me all the documents of the airframes and the last maintenance on the engines which were included. I could have had everything for the ridiculous price of $12,000 U.S. They were very serious!!! Beleive me I pondered the idea for some time. Even talked with Skip Holm about importing that type of aircraft into the country. After weighing in the pros and cons I decided against it. With the Polish Air Force taking delivery of the F-16s they have plans to surplus a good number of the Su-22 Fritters currently in service. No Bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Comment

MiG-21s have been available for this kind of price for literally a decade now. If you talk to the guys at Stead who import and refurb MiGs for the US civil market, they'll tell you that its not the bargain that it seems.

The actual number escapes me, but I believe these jets took something on the order of $100,000 of systems and avionics upgrades to make them anywhere close to flyable and safe.

Comment

Silly Polish, jets are for kids!

Gimme a high speed prop!

Race 29
            Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

I think the thing that would keep very many of these things flying is still the upkeep. I hear it would cost a mint to maintain a MIG-21.
              Last edited by tex-fan; 09-04-2004, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X